GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the military and in the near future expect to head out for a long adventure. I have a 2006 Goldwing with very low mileage that I just love and was going to have triked next year either with CSC or Hannigan. (No idea which). Anyway I am not sure if I should sell the bike which I hate to do because it is exactly what I want or place it in storage. I had a good friend that was going to baby it for me but now that has fell through for the second time. I could buy a new trike upon return but hate to get rid of the one I have. Any opinions?

Thanks,
James

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
It kinda depends on how long. If we're talking years I'd sell it. By the time you get back there may be an even better Wing being produced. But I don't like storing things. T. 8)

G

·
IMHO you will lose money selling it now and this is not a good time to sell a motorcycle, seasonally speaking. Also, it is too new.

I would "pickle it" and store it in a dry place, devoid of rodents. Wipe down all exposed metal with a light film of oil. Wax the tuppeware. Put some good treatment (Mothers) on all of the vinyl and seats. Block it up to take weight off the tires. Change to clean oil and filter and circulate by running for 15 minutes. Pull battery and put it on a battery maintainer in a cool dry place. Cover the bike with a dust proof but not air tight cover.

Others here may have additional suggestions.

I will bet that when you come home she will be good as new, and just as great a machine as it is now.

And thank you for your service to the country.

Good luck. Be safe.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
IBTrike knows. If you are gone for a year listen to him, three year tour, sell. I pickeled twice, Korea and Viet Nam....both one year tours.

George Lewis
USAF for twenty nine years and then decided not to make a career out of it.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Bulldog, it sure beat working for a living. I really enjoyed the Air Force. Oh, I had 20% bad and 80% good. This is about the percentage I had when I worked for and retired from SONY Corp. with thirteen years. Was the third person hired starting up a semiconductor plant in San Antonio in '82 (It was Advanced Micro Devices then) and we worked then, believe me. Sony bought the site and I stayed with them as they rolled all benefits and salary over to them from AMD....enjoy that too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts