GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw an ad in CRAIGSLIST about a week ago for a GARMIN 760 for sale, $150 OBO in the area from a local guy. Fired off an email, interested in buying if available. 2 days later, still available, and I offered $110, OK with him, meet at the local mall. Kinda weird where he wanted to meet, but OK. Meet at the mall, looks like a good unit, tried to power it up and it lasted about 5 seconds and the battery went dead. The kid said his parents bought it for him to take on a road trip, and hasn't used it for years, that's why the battery went dead. Take it out to his friends car, plug it in, and everything looks fine. Make out a receipt, and leave. Get the thing home and it's working fine. Go online to GARMIN's website and order the map update for $90 and download it. The dumb program and maps WON'T INSTALL!!!! ARRRRRGH! So, the next day I email Garmin tech support, give them the details about the unit, and the problem. I also said also that I would like it registered in MY name. The other day I get another email from GARMIN telling me that they will contact the original registered owner and confirm the sale before they will register it to me. OK, I'll wait. A day later, I get another email from GARMIN saying that they will not help me since the unit was reported STOLEN!!! WTF! I really hate being duped and screwed. I'm not like that, and when I get taken advantage of I get pissed! The kid wasn't too smart, he left all kinds of info on the GPS, including the "HOME" location, and friends addresses and stuff. I also have the license plate of his "buddies" car and his cell phone number too. Hopefully the Police can use this to get my money back.
Have any of you folks been in a similar situation and got any satisfaction?
Rant over.....
Steve F

·
Registered
33 Posts
gps

Never buy a gps with out the box and papers and now you know why.. hope you get your money back.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Man that's just WRONG...Hope it works out for you...

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
The kid wasn't too smart, he left all kinds of info on the GPS, including the "HOME" location, and friends addresses and stuff.
You sure, these could be the Original Owner's ... my guess is the 'kid' is one of the 'friends' listed on the GPS ...

Hope you find resolution, and remember receiving Stolen Merchandise is a crime. The hairs on my back started raising as soon as the kid said 'his parents bought it for him', the first words out of my mouth would be 'can you give me the number of your parents?' ...

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Good luck with that one.

He is a kid.

It will take 90 days for any report to make it to any agency to investigate, they will not be in any hurry ..........cause it is a kid. Priority is low.

Then you have to have proof. Even if it is freely admitted, a simple fine and suspended sentence is run of the mill.

None of this solves your problem.

You got took. Go get another one. If you wait on this, you will still be waiting in the year 3214.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
You have two options. Well maybe three.

1. Use the GPS with the currently installed maps. I've used a GPS that had maps that were five years old with very few problems. The problems were very minor ones caused by new construction. I never got lost.

2. Contact the local police and give them all of the information that you have and let them sort it out. You will more than likely be out a GPS and your money.

3. Use the information that you have to track down the kid. Then what happens next is up to you.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
A good majority of electronics "for sale" are stolen, whether the person who is in possession of them stole them or bought it from someone who stole them.

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You have two options. Well maybe three.

1. Use the GPS with the currently installed maps. I've used a GPS that had maps that were five years old with very few problems. The problems were very minor ones caused by new construction. I never got lost.

2. Contact the local police and give them all of the information that you have and let them sort it out. You will more than likely be out a GPS and your money.

3. Use the information that you have to track down the kid. Then what happens next is up to you.
Well, OPTION 2 is in the works, and yes, I'm out a GPS, at least for the time being. Having a chat with the detective in the town where the mall is located (which is where I had to file the report), he said that the kid with the "getaway car" lives in town according to the plate number I gave them, and the "home" address in the GPS was also in their town. Two pluses so far. As far as how long it'll be before I hear anything back? Who knows. When I talked to the detective, he said that GARMIN gave them my email info and he has already subpoena'd the info and was going to pay ME a visit, but that's cool now. There's some security video that he is going to revew at the mall, and maybe get a face to go along with the other info. For now it's in the hands of the cops, and we'll see how interested they are in busting this kid.
I also put in a request to GARMIN asking them to refund my $90 I paid for the lifetime maps that I TRIED to install in a unit I no longer have. Keeping my fingers crossed there.
Steve F

·
Registered
606 Posts
I, for one, am glad you decided on option # 2.

Todays attitude of "Aw, he's just a kid" has many inherent flaws, one of which is, in some cases, the "Kid" is the ultimate looser. His small, unchecked crime can put him on a path toward larger crimes. The kid and society both loose.

What if we were to add an option #4; have the kid return the GPS to the original owner and pay back the money Steve F has invested then make the kid do some "community time" to both of the victims?

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I, for one, am glad you decided on option # 2.

Todays attitude of "Aw, he's just a kid" has many inherent flaws, one of which is, in some cases, the "Kid" is the ultimate looser. His small, unchecked crime can put him on a path toward larger crimes. The kid and society both loose.

What if we were to add an option #4; have the kid return the GPS to the original owner and pay back the money Steve F has invested then make the kid do some "community time" to both of the victims?
You should be a judge! I'll vote for ya! :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Stolen GPS update:

Just had a chat this afternoon with the detective that is handling the case of the stolen property (a GPS that I bought off CRAIGSLIST). As you recall, the GPS was sold through craigslist by a kid that said he got it from his parents, and he now didn't want it any more (which turns out was a BS story anyway surprise, surprise). I paid $110.00 for it, went online to the GARMIN site, and ordered the maps upgrade, and they informed me the GPS was reported stolen, and then GARMIN had reported my contact info to the POLICE! I beat them to the punch, and turned the stolen property into the police before they contacted me. Anyway, the police had taken the suspect kid into custody, and after a few moments of interrogation, he admitted selling the bogus GPS to me, and that he will return my money.
:thumbup:So, to recap, I'm getting my money back from the bogus sale, plus a few weeks ago, GARMIN gave me a full refund for the maps upgrade.
:yes1:You see, things CAN work out sometimes.
I don't know if the kid is getting any probation or if they worked something else out, but the detective wouldn't say any more.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I am glad the kid is cooperating and you will get your money back.. Now go to tiger direct and buy one cheap. Even cheaper if u get a refirb. You can get a refirb for what u paid for the stolen one. I hope it works out..

·
Registered
606 Posts
Thanks for the follow up, it's proof that some stories can have a happish ending. :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am glad the kid is cooperating and you will get your money back.. Now go to tiger direct and buy one cheap. Even cheaper if u get a refirb. You can get a refirb for what u paid for the stolen one. I hope it works out..
Actually, I did check out the retailers in my area for another GPS like the one I bought off the kid, and found nothing like it anywhere. This thing had a lot of features you can't find on alot of the new(er) units, like an MP3 player, an audio out jack, FM transmitter to broadcast to your FM radio, an external antenna jack, separate volume controls for the GPS directions and the MP3 player...really cool :cool:. After searching ebay for a few days, I found one :thumbup: and it was a GARMIN factory refurb unit, and has a 1 year warranty, with all the accessories new in the box for $130. NOW, I'm a happy camper again. Only complaint so far is the screen update is slow, you're 3 seconds past the intersection before the map catches up, and that's at 45 MPH.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Only complaint so far is the screen update is slow, you're 3 seconds past the intersection before the map catches up, and that's at 45 MPH.
that is even with the new ones react slow. But good for you doing the right thing. I had one stolen out of my car recently. It was a NUVI I had it locked with pass code. So hopefully it does not work for new owner.

·
Registered
8,570 Posts
I had a Garmin 2730 prior to my purchase of the Zumo that was stolen.
I reported it to Garmin but nothings showed up for three years now,... :shrug:
thecruiser

1 - 20 of 27 Posts