GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been aggravated with my brakes for a couple months now. Step on the brake pedal, feel the front shudder, hit the throttle hard and feel a little vibration in the bars. Today I made a difference in both situations. Obviously OEM is the way to go, but I tried the best of both worlds. After pulling the front apart, I cleaned and serviced the calipers and installed new OEM pads. I then removed the OEM rotors and installed a set of aftermarket wave rotors. Put everything back together, did the "Rocky" bleed, and took her out for a test ride. Performance was perfect and smooth as a babies bottom. I'm going to send the OEM rotors back and have them resurfaced so I'll have a spare set of rotors ready at a moments notice, and the best part, no shudder, no vibration, great brakes, and no lost riding time. Over the Winter, I think I'll pull the rear rotor and have it resurfaced as well.

·
Premium Member
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Put three hundred new miles on her today and anticipated the brakes to chatter at each corner, never happened. I don't know what else I did right, but it must have been something. Obviously when putting everything back together, I nailed everything in order, and hit the torques right on the nose. I love this bike, but it has never felt as stable on the road and through the corners as it did today. So, win win.

·
Registered
5,970 Posts
One of my character features/flaws is that i am way too literal, but, I can think of a lot of things better than a new set of brakes.

;-)

·
Premium Member
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can too, but I'm not allowed to say those things here. >:)

Reactions: jlbc212

·
Registered
519 Posts
Rates right there with new tires or a full tank and the open road or embarking on that trip on the Wing that you've been planning for 6 months. And yes there are some things I could add but I'm sure I'm not allowed to say here either.>:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts