GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This week, I learned a different perspective on complaining about my bike.

My 2018 Tour DCT has been almost flawless from day one. But it seems that every time I ride, I’m always looking and listening to the bike to make sure everything is working correctly, or wondering how things might be improved. You probably know the routine. What color should the screen be. Where should the controls be, or why did Honda put them there. Should I adjust the suspension, ride mode, windscreen, gps, radio. Or the turn signals acting right, and the list goes on.

Now comes the different perspective. Thursday, I bought a HD V-Rod. Impulse buy, cause it looked good, and I got it at a really good price. Yesterday, I rode it 215 miles in about 6 hours hours, stopping for lunch and later for some pie. The bike has NO accessories, so there was absolutely nothing to complain about. No music, no GPS, just ride and enjoy the scenery for a change. I believe that any naked bike would have had the same effect. It reminded me why I started riding 5 decades ago.

Freyr

·
Registered
1,288 Posts

My 2018 Tour DCT has been almost flawless from day one. But it seems that every time I ride, I’m always looking and listening to the bike to make sure everything is working correctly, or wondering how things might be improved. You probably know the routine. What color should the screen be. Where should the controls be, or why did Honda put them there. Should I adjust the suspension, ride mode, windscreen, gps, radio. Or the turn signals acting right, and the list goes on.

Now comes the different perspective. Thursday, I bought a HD V-Rod. Impulse buy, cause it looked good, and I got it at a really good price. Yesterday, I rode it 215 miles in about 6 hours hours, stopping for lunch and later for some pie. The bike has NO accessories, so there was absolutely nothing to complain about. No music, no GPS, just ride and enjoy the scenery for a change. I believe that any naked bike would have had the same effect. It reminded me why I started riding 5 decades ago.

Freyr
My comment here is not to criticize your purchase, but is my experience with the Rod. In 2005 I thought I wanted a V-Rod, so I went to the local HD dealer for a test ride. It was a windy day, 20-25 mph out of the south. The V-Rod was by far the worst handling motorcycle I have ridden in a side wind. The guy that rode it before me said the same thing. Thinking maybe there was a fluke, the next year I took a 2006 out for a ride. Unfortunately another windy day in Iowa. Same handling negative as the 2005 the previous year. Just my experience, maybe yours will differ.

·
Registered
190 Posts

Now comes the different perspective. Thursday, I bought a HD V-Rod. Impulse buy, cause it looked good, and I got it at a really good price. Yesterday, I rode it 215 miles in about 6 hours, stopping for lunch and later for some pie. The bike has NO accessories, so there was absolutely nothing to complain about. No music, no GPS, just ride and enjoy the scenery for a change. I believe that any naked bike would have had the same effect. It reminded me why I started riding 5 decades ago.

Freyr
I fully agree, I just sold my 99 HD RK. Simple just get on and ride, nothing else to look at but the scenery. Don't get me wrong, the Wing was bought with 2 up in mind and after testing HD RG Ultra, there's just no comparison, the Wing comes out on top in every category except I still like the looks and sound of HD. I am now lucking for a Blue and white Duece for my solo short-haul rides.

Reactions: INTHEWIND

·
Registered
123 Posts
The V-Rod engine, designed by Porsche, is the best power plant that HD ever manufactured. Had they had enough sense to put it in a touring frame I think far fewer riders would be leaving HD for Goldwings. I agree it’s good sometimes to just ride with fewer distractions.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My comment here is not to criticize your purchase, but is my experience with the Rod. In 2005 I thought I wanted a V-Rod, so I went to the local HD dealer for a test ride. It was a windy day, 20-25 mph out of the south. The V-Rod was by far the worst handling motorcycle I have ridden in a side wind. The guy that rode it before me said the same thing. Thinking maybe there was a fluke, the next year I took a 2006 out for a ride. Unfortunately another windy day in Iowa. Same handling negative as the 2005 the previous year. Just my experience, maybe yours will differ.

My son-in-law had a ‘05, and cross wind handling was so bad that he sent his full disk wheels out, to be slotted, which helped according to him. Evidently HD recognized the problem, since my ‘08 has a slotted rear and a spoked front. Hopefully that takes care of the problem.

·
Registered
178 Posts
140 K on my 09. I rarely listen to music for exactly the reasons the OP lists. Electronic gadgetry = more distractions and potential break downs.

I will say this: When the new Wing came out with the electric windscreen control, I immediately dismissed it as frivolous. Then I took a test ride. Being able to adjust the screen to my riding position was actually really cool. I could adjust out the buffeting at speed.

Keyless fobs, I-phone apps, GPS - Not so much

·
Registered
109 Posts
This is what I ride for the basic experience. No fuel injection, no Bluetooth, no electronics to speak of, no fuel gauge, no abs, no traction control.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I just got my 2019... I've ridden it in "simple mode" Saturday evening and some of Sunday... cuz I didn't know how to do anything... :D was kinda nice... I'm sorting it all but I will be remembering to turn it all off and just ride occasionally.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts