GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This from Lowrence's website:

*NOTICE TO DRIVERS IN CALIFORNIA AND MINNESOTA: State law prohibits drivers in California and Minnesota from using suction mounts on their windshields while operating motor vehicles. Other Lowrance dashboard or friction mounting options should be used. Lowrance does not take any responsibility for any fines, penalties, or damages that may be incurred as a result of disregarding this notice. (See California Vehicle Code Section 26708(a); Minnesota Statutes 2005, Section 169.71)

WTF ?? you can't use a suction mount, so you're reduced to a 'friction' mount as in a sand bag or the like :shock: THEN, in the event of an accident, your iWay becomes a projectile. Makes sense to me :shock: :shock:

·
Registered
484 Posts
It's for real in MN. Nothing hanging from the rear view mirror either. The point of view from the leos is the items can block your view of the road while your driving. In reality it's laws made up for another excuse to pull ya over and check for other more important things like dwi, drugs, etc.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
If that isn't about the stupidest thing I have ever heard of!!!!! Seems to me the law makers need to take about a 25 year vacation.
So, how do they justify the cops having all their $hit mounted off the windshields and rear view mirrors? Maybe they don't need to see as much out of their windshields????

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Do these states have EZPASS? Mine, in PA, came with velcro strips to mount it on the windshield. Sometimes the logic escapes

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Windshield stickers?

·
Registered
484 Posts
Yes Minnesota has our version of EZPass. Gotta mount the transponder directly behind the miror or you will get a ticket.
http://www.mnpass.org/FAQ/index.html#HowTo

On the bright side, motorcycles are free to use the MNpass lanes with no charge/fee and no need for a transponder.

MN is really the land of 10,000 taxes. We have way more than 10,000 lakes.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Joel:
Went to Mnpass site, let me see if I get this straight. If the traffic is light it may cost me $1.00 or more, but if traffic is heavy, it can cost up to $8.00. I can see the reasoning behind it, but terrible I have to pay more to go slower than faster. Didn't know MN had traffic problems.

Live near NYC and hope they don't get the same idea about paying more for going slower. I can see fees around $50-$100 for 10-20 miles of backed-up traffic. lol

RiderUSA

·
Registered
43 Posts
Oh yeah ......

and stupid laws to boot.

But it's ok to butter your bagel, drink a cup of coffee, put on your make up, read the newspaper and yap on the cell phone while driving. Because lord knows thats all alot more important than paying attention to the task at hand.

After all, you can't take this driving thing too seriously, or people may get the wrong impression of you.

·
Registered
484 Posts
RiderUSA said:
Joel:
Went to Mnpass site, let me see if I get this straight. If the traffic is light it may cost me $1.00 or more, but if traffic is heavy, it can cost up to $8.00. I can see the reasoning behind it, but terrible I have to pay more to go slower than faster. Didn't know MN had traffic problems.

Live near NYC and hope they don't get the same idea about paying more for going slower. I can see fees around $50-$100 for 10-20 miles of backed-up traffic. lol

RiderUSA
Almost every major city in the USA has traffic problems and road construction. Don't even get me started about driving in NY. I did learn it however. Right foot=gas, left foot=brake, right hand=wheel, left hand=horn and out the window flying the middle finger!

The increasing mnpass cost is actually pay a higher & higher premium to get out of slower and slower mainstream rush hour traffic and go into what is nicknamed the sane lane aka mnpass lane. F-ing joke. Then the cops patrol the mnpass lane heavy during rush hour and pop speeders cause they think mnpass is a gold card to allow speeding. WRONG! Well this thread got hijacked! Sorry. Remember to keep the stuff off the windshield and on the dashboard.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Speaking of stupid laws, better be patient if you show up at a Washington railway crossing and see two trains waiting. This is from 'stupid Washington laws':
When two trains come to a crossing, neither shall go until the other has passed.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
(2) No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied in or upon the vehicle which obstructs or reduces the driver's clear view through the windshield or side windows.
This is the intent of the law in CA. There is a lot more to this particular code. One part specifically states the use of electronic taffic control devices is OK.

I've driven with my GPS attached to the windshield many times. I don't believe you will be bothered as long as you are not acting like an idiot. Nevertheless, I will probably use the flat disc that came with my zumo to mount it in the near future.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
lol wow.
Maybe they dont want things hanging from the mirrors because they are a distraction? Fuzzy dice...disco balls...etc.

Just another reason why I will never live in or around the Twin Cities. I had an interview in Buffalo this summer, but I had to call and take myself out of the running (if I was even in it) because I had an offer in Wyoming that they wanted a response before Buffalo gave me theirs.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Ohio has the same laws. They just are rarely enforced. It comes under a section about "blocked vision" or something like that. I wrote a guy a ticket for it once........but can't remember much about it. I had to look it up..............and yes............he was so nice I went out of my way...........just for him........

·
Registered
484 Posts
ziggystyles said:
lol wow.
Maybe they dont want things hanging from the mirrors because they are a distraction? Fuzzy dice...disco balls...etc.

Just another reason why I will never live in or around the Twin Cities. I had an interview in Buffalo this summer, but I had to call and take myself out of the running (if I was even in it) because I had an offer in Wyoming that they wanted a response before Buffalo gave me theirs.
I live in Buffalo, MN. It's the biggest city in Wright county. You think law enforcement is tough in the Twin Cities. Don't move out to Buffalo. Not many local cops here, but we have dozens of county sheriffs in brown squad cars all over the place. Wright county is working on a 50 MILLION dollar project to expand the jail here. If you don't like the law, stay the hell out of Buffalo, MN. Fortunatly Goldwings cary the geezer glide stigma with them and the leos don't pay much attention to me when I'm on mine. I'm convinced they look and think to themselves, nice wingerbago.

S

·
0 Posts
MN has some goofy laws - fun to see what one can get away with. Over wide tires, neons and no front plates are a couple things - I guess this is why the "real" crooks get away.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I live in California, am aware of the law, but just as Rastoff says, if you aren't acting like an idiot no cop is going to stop you on this if you are using a windshield mount. Just ain't gonna happen. HOWEVER, I just personally don't CARE for the windshield/suction mount. AND you absolutely are NOT then painted into a beanbag corner. You can instead use a ProClip mount.

A ProClip Mount is a mounting "system" that allows you to mount your device closer, conveniently and unobtrusively (as opposed to on your windshield) on your dashboard, within a foot or two away and easily within arms' reach). Your suction mount arm is no longer needed and you can still swivel your GPS to a good viewing angle.

You order two pieces with ProClip's device and vehicle-specific drop-down lists: (1) The actual device adapter that fits your particular device (GPS); and (2) the actual vehicle mount specifically made to fit your vehicle. For example, I have a device adapter for a Nuvi 660 mounted onto the bracket for my Oldsmobile Intrigue (I found out later it also works with my Zumo mount).

The website is: http://www.proclipusa.com/default.asp

Here are 4 photos from GPS Passion showing a typical step-by-step setup, giving you an idea of the simplicity:

1. A vehicle adapter (you purchase this from ProClip)

2. A device mount (you purchase this from ProClip) -- this replicates or replaces your suction arm

3. A Nuvi car mount placed ON the device mount

4. The Nuvi inserted into the car mount

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts