GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Tag-Along trailer that harbor freight is selling . They reconmend a 45 MPH maxiums towing speed. If you are thinking about buying one of these to pull behind your bike. You may want to check this out.
thomas

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
:lastpost: George...I believe you're right. If it's not then there must be some difference that I cannot see. these are a bit cheaper than the Piggy too...but I would doubt very seriously that they come with the same level of customer service as the Piggy does!

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I guess they saw how many folks were building them using their trailers they decided to get on the band wagon.

Crafty folks, those Chinese!!!!

Pulled mine at about 75 MPH most of the time.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
I bet that they will cut into the Piggy sales :!:I pull mine at a constant 70 most of the time. no problems. I don't think there is any thing to worry about on the speed thing....

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My brother ( New Mexico RoadRunner) Has built 2 trailer using harbor frieght trailer and sears car top and has never had a speed problem pulling the trailer. I thought it was strange , I didn't see any maxium speed post on the other trailer they sell. How many thing times have you been going down the road and a car pulling a U-haul passes you at 90 MPH and on the back of the trailer is a little sign that says maxiun speed 45MPH. Alway thought that was kind of funny.
thomas

·
Registered
584 Posts
What is the speed rating of the tires?
Looked on HF web site. Seems they have 2 different tires. One stated for offroad use only(speed 45mph) and the other states hi speed.

I suspect it's not the speed rating of the tire, but the speed rating of the tire mfg's Chinese lawyers.

Have the same 8" hi-speed tires on one of my boat trailers, and they have well over 10,000 miles on them and most over 60mph. These tires must be doing well over 1,000 rev per minute at that speed.:eek:4:

·
Registered
792 Posts
I built a 12" HF/Sears combo in '05 and have somewhere over 20K on it, most riding at the posted limits +. When I got it, the wheels had 45MPH max printed on them. I repainted the wheels when painting the trailer combo and it must have stretched that limit because there have been no problems since. :lol: Gotta love it when the manufacturer's legal gurus have to put their 2¢ in to protect the public from themselves.

·
Registered
478 Posts
The Tag-Along trailer that harbor freight is selling . They reconmend a 45 MPH maxiums towing speed. If you are thinking about buying one of these to pull behind your bike. You may want to check this out.
thomas
That should be 55 MPH not 45 but this is a moot point.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
The wife and I are leaving this afternoon on a camping trip, our first ever such adventure, with our new Tag-Along in tow. Last weekend, a good friend and I put this thing together, re-wired it from a 4-wire to a 6-wire system, replaced the incandescent lights with LED's, added a dome light, and a receiver for the cooler.

I'll try to remember to post a review when we get back.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
I built a 12" HF/Sears combo in '05 and have somewhere over 20K on it, most riding at the posted limits +. When I got it, the wheels had 45MPH max printed on them. I repainted the wheels when painting the trailer combo and it must have stretched that limit because there have been no problems since. :lol: Gotta love it when the manufacturer's legal gurus have to put their 2¢ in to protect the public from themselves.
:agree:

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Someone went diggin around in the trash can!!!! This thread from 4/09.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts