GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone been to Nova Scotia lately? We were thinking of taking the ferry from Bar Harbor, Maine to Yarmouth and riding around the island. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Been there 10 times. Some of the best riding and scenery around. I go over from Portland, overnight ferry. Everything you need on the ferry. Do not miss going to PEI. Of course, Cape Breton Island and the Cabot trail are "must do" items. Many great places and things to see. May be getting a little in late in the year for going over now. No problem with accomadations etc. People there are excellent and really like motorcyclist.

·
Registered
292 Posts
ElBando said:
Anyone been to Nova Scotia lately? We were thinking of taking the ferry from Bar Harbor, Maine to Yarmouth and riding around the island. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
ElBando,
Wife and I have been iching to go there for a couple years.
Would probably take us 8 hours to get from where we are to Portland.
We were thinking of doing a hotel in Portland, getting up early to the ferry.
Stay over there 3 or 4 days and then do the reverse on the way back.

Not sure what the weather would be like now though.
Might be that good riding hours are limited since we are getting into fall.
dw

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Is the Scotia Prince out of Portland gone for good or is it going to return?

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
I had heard that the Terminal where the Scotia Prince would dock was contaminated with asbestos (that was some time ago). I don't know if they have cleaned it up yet, or it is still contaminated.

I believe that the Scotia Prince departs at night and arrives in Yarmouth in the morning, then departs again from Yarmouth in the morning and arrives in Portland at night.

Going, I didn't mind because we had a cabin (make sure you upgrade with a bath with a shower, or you'll share a bath down the hall), but coming back I felt like I was waisting a day with nothing to do (we don't gamble).

Next time I think that we'll come back via New Brunswick, at least I'll be riding and seeing stuff other than open water.

Another alternative is the "Cat" out of Bar Harbor, Maine. I think the crossing is done in 3 hours versus 8-9 hours on the Scotia Prince, but you'll have to ride that much further north to pick it up. Your choice.

I think that this time of the year is a bit too cold up there. I'd suggest the last week in July and the first week in August. That's when we went.

Good luck and nothing but green lights.

Mike

·
Registered
59 Posts
We are planning a trip to Nova Scotia in June 2007. I was wanting to know what the cost of the Ferry trip from Bar Habor to Yarmouth, either one way or round trip. I did look on the Cat site and have an idea of the cost but wasn't real sure of the total cost for one bike and one person or if you get a price break for two bikes and two persons traveling together.

Jim

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the input folks, will wait until spring, wish I had thought of this sooner.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
We took the CAT from Bangor to Yarmouth and it was great. Cabot Trail in both directions is well worth it and the best that NS has to offer by far. Halifax is a nice old city but it is a city.

We took a second little ferry over to PEI and stayed there 3 days. it was great. No mountains but lots of scenic beauty including farming ocean front land.

We went home via the 8 mile bridge to New Brunswick and through Maine. It was great. BTW don't use a cell phone within 50 feet of a gas pump in Maine or you will start a panic, they even have a law... don't they get the Myth Busters up there?

Have a great time, we did. Don't forget that these folks apologize for the heat when it gets near 80 degrees and run around naked in the 60's so there opinion of hot and cold is skewed.

·
Registered
375 Posts
As mentioned, Cabot Trail is a MUST DO.
The big surprise to us when we went several years ago was the food. If you like seafood, you will be in heaven! We fondly refer to that trip as the Gourmet Tour. SO had lobster 11 times in 13 days. Even McDonalds had a McLobster sandwich.
English is spoken almost everywhere.
Lots of lighthouses.
Don't miss Peggy's Cove.
Don't forget the camera. It scenic everywhere.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Just did Nova Scotia (from Seattle) this summer. Absolutely FANTASTIC. Travelled up through New England and took the ferry from St John to Bar Harbor. But that run might be shut down now, they were talking about it.

Wandered through some of the west coast towns, such as Peggy's Cove, worked our way north, and spent 3 days on the Cabot Trail. Incredible. Every bit as pretty as the Canadian Rockies and the best parts of the Pacific Northwest - which is saying a lot.

Carry some tie down straps for the ferry (whichever one you take). You might or might not need them depending on the weather. Better to have and not need than the other way around.

Time permitting, continue over to Prince Edward Island and check that out also.

Carl

·
Registered
292 Posts
udhawg said:
We are planning a trip to Nova Scotia in June 2007. I was wanting to know what the cost of the Ferry trip from Bar Habor to Yarmouth, either one way or round trip. I did look on the Cat site and have an idea of the cost but wasn't real sure of the total cost for one bike and one person or if you get a price break for two bikes and two persons traveling together.

Jim
Not cheap udhawg!
Last year I was up there riding and camping with my son.
We were tempted to go over.
But if I remember right, the cost was about $300 U.S. per person.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I forget what the price was but it was expensive. I arrived about 2 hours before it sailed from Bar Harbor and spent the time making friendly with the landing folks. I told them it was too expensive for me, showed the cashier my active duty ID and got my Suzuki GS1000G on as a "bicycle" for a couple of bucks.

You are going to love the trip. Peggy's Cove and Oak Island are must sees. If you are an Anne Murray fan stop in Spring Hill and go through the Ann Murray center.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I live 600 miles or so from Charlottetown PEI. I haven't taken the ferry it just dosen't justify the cost vs hotel/BB. That being said The Cabot Trail is breathtaking ... as long as the weather is good. If it's foggy you'll only see your hand in front of your face. The distillery, I have heard, is a wonderful place to stay. DO NOT STAY @ Cape North. It's at the top of the trail. It's incredably remote. When you go outside at night the mosquitos will litterally drive you crazy. The town of Picteu has the ferry to PEI. Both the Confederation bridge and the Ferry are free going into PEI but it costs almost 2 times as much to take the ferry back vs the bridge. The B&B's in Canada are wonderful, but do your homework.

HTH

FF

1 - 20 of 20 Posts