GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Launch day is getting closer, getting excited. Will be the longest bike ride. Will be doing a mini trip down to blue ridge parkway this month as a warm up, that should be about 1200 miles roundtrip. (Yeah !! I get to add more colors to my map)

Myself on the goldwing and my buddy on his harley will be making the trip to Nova Scotia. About 2400 miles. Will be camping a couple of nights and staying in hotels another couple of nights. Plan is to ride to St John, take ferry to Digby (believe is about 3 hours) and ride back. Potential to bypass the ferry and just ride all the way up and around. Below is the link to the route. Plan is to be back on Friday. Those who made the trip, any suggested alternate routes would be appreciated.

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=z9noXqvTeygM.kNoZU3U1rvKo

·
Registered
689 Posts
The wife and I will be heading up there on August 20th. Not planning any certain route, just going to get up in the morning and start riding until the wife says it is time to get a room. The only planned part of the route is to take 220 in to New York and than just look at the GPS for the best looking road for the day.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Route

Your route matches mine almost exactly. I spent a week in NS and had a shorter route to yours. It wasn't enough time. I bypassed Halifax but rode the Cabot Trail. Bring rain gear. See the lighthouse in Yarmouth. Peggy's Cove is overrated. Search www.cabottrailbiker.com Good info and he sells a cool T Shirt. Fuel and lodging is much higher than here. Take time to get to know people. I found everyone to be very friendly. I rode from AZ and spent 28 days on the road. 8650 miles.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Do the Cabot Trail counterclockwise. Turn left as you leave the causeway and go all the way up the west coast of CB Island.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Washington State to Nova Scotia

Plan on going into BC and heading East next week. Will be watching this post for suggestion on places to go and things to see.

·
Registered
791 Posts
We did this trip about 12 years ago. We rode in and back rather than the ferry though we did take the Bridge to Prince Edward Island and ferry back to NS. Cape Breton is the most interesting. The southern section, less so. Plan a stop at Baddeck, a picturesque little town, and the Alexander Graham Bell Museum. He was about a whole lot more than telephones. August is a good time to go weather wise. Have fun.

Pete

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
We did similar last year. Started from CT southern shore to Bangor first night. Great time either way you go. We stayed In Alma near Fundy Na Park. The inn in town was great place and great food. Came to us as a recommendation from here and was perfect place. We are going to Gaspe Pan. for 2 weeks in july.
Enjoy
SB

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
If you want any local knowledge or advice, drop me a PM, I live in Halifax. I'd be glad to help.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Been there, doing that now

Wife and I are on your trip now. Left Canada yesterday and in Bar Harbor Me as we speak. Would be happy to discuss our findings. Should be back in Florida by this time next week. Send me a PM if you would like to talk. Cal D is a good contact also.
Looking to hear from you
Bruce

·
Registered
702 Posts
Launch day is getting closer, getting excited. Will be the longest bike ride. Will be doing a mini trip down to blue ridge parkway this month as a warm up, that should be about 1200 miles roundtrip. (Yeah !! I get to add more colors to my map)

Myself on the goldwing and my buddy on his harley will be making the trip to Nova Scotia. About 2400 miles. Will be camping a couple of nights and staying in hotels another couple of nights. Plan is to ride to St John, take ferry to Digby (believe is about 3 hours) and ride back. Potential to bypass the ferry and just ride all the way up and around. Below is the link to the route. Plan is to be back on Friday. Those who made the trip, any suggested alternate routes would be appreciated.

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=z9noXqvTeygM.kNoZU3U1rvKo
When you get to Bridgeport (or long before), take Hwy 3 to Lunenburg, and continue on to Halifax along the coast. Lunenburg is a beautiful little sea coast town, full of marine history and picturesque streets. It could well be the prettiest spot you'll see in Nova Scotia. My wife has a friend that lives there and I trailer my Wing down and tour the province quite often while she is visiting.

Your route through Nova Scotia as shown is predominantly the high speed routes, and believe me, anywhere winding along the coast on Hwy 3 is infinitely more interesting than the high speed routes on your map. Hwy 3 is called the Lighthouse route, and I did this coastal route last summer. In Nova Scotia, the more you can go along the sea coast anywhere in the Province, the better the trip will be. Don't miss Mahone Bay or Peggy's cove, which you will pass when you take Hwy 3 along the coast from Lunenburg to Halifax....

Pick up a map at the Nova Scotia tourist bureau and they will guide you to the best motorcycle roads in the province. I was quite surprised how knowledgeable they were on the subject.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Nova Scotia Trip

just left there 4 days ago, great place, we crossed at Portland to Yarmouth Ferry, then rode north up to Cabot Trail, counter clockwise. Took lots of pictures, then headed to Meat Cove, just off Cabot Trail, 4 miles of graded dirt rode, but worth the ride, could not camp up there, wind would have taken our little tent. lol. also very cool. Went on the Chitacamp, then back tracked to Pleasant Bay for a trip to take a boat out to whale watch, which we saw. Couldnt make connections in Chitacamp so we went back about 25 miles. went on up to PEI on ferrry, rode the island, then exited on confederate Bridge, only get charged one way, about $18, then onto Moncton, then south to Maine,USA border. Have stayed here in Wells,Maine an extra day due to rainy weather,great hotel,owners each have harleys, located on US 1, in wells,Foodridge North Hotel.Great people.
Headed back to South Louisiana, tomorrow, probably with rain suits on. Hope you enjoy your trip as much as we have.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Might need some advice for trip to Halifax in July 2015

If you want any local knowledge or advice, drop me a PM, I live in Halifax. I'd be glad to help.
I'm scanning through the GL1800 forums and saw your note about asking for advice. We're planning a trip your way in July/August of 2015 and are coming from Tennessee. There will be 3-5 bikes (several wings) and at least a couple of wives. We plan to travel a majority of the perimeter and are looking at the Cabot Trail but have not solidified any plans as of yet.

Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I spent a great deal of my childhood in North Bay Ontario and have traveled most of the provinces to the west but got stranded south of the Yukon in my younger years. I just retired from 41 years in the US Army in 2011.

My contact info is as follows:

D. Brooks Hodges III
Cell: 615-830-3328
Email: [email protected]

Hope to hear from you soon. Brooks

·
Registered
833 Posts
I'm scanning through the GL1800 forums and saw your note about asking for advice. We're planning a trip your way in July/August of 2015 and are coming from Tennessee. There will be 3-5 bikes (several wings) and at least a couple of wives. We plan to travel a majority of the perimeter and are looking at the Cabot Trail but have not solidified any plans as of yet.

Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I spent a great deal of my childhood in North Bay Ontario and have traveled most of the provinces to the west but got stranded south of the Yukon in my younger years. I just retired from 41 years in the US Army in 2011.

My contact info is as follows:

D. Brooks Hodges III
Cell: 615-830-3328
Email: [email protected]

Hope to hear from you soon. Brooks
I live in Bridgetown in the Annapolis Valley if that is of any assistance to you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts