GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those interested, the ferry is now taking reservations from Portland Maine to Yarmouth Nova Scotia you can find it in google by typing novastar cruises in the search field.

prices are a little steep for my blood, almost $600 one way, cabin plus bike, ouch.

just thought I'd let you know.

cheers.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Prince Edward Island and the Cabot Trail are the "must do's" on the ride. We rode 10 days in the rain from NJ and still had a ball. Took local ferries not a $600 dollar one.
Enjoy, it's a great place.

Attachments

·
Registered
316 Posts
Way back around 1982, we took the Bluenose ferry from Yarmouth to Bar Harbor.
As I recall, it wasn't very expensive. I seem to remember that it took about
six hours to make the crossing.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
If you don't want to spend $600.00, keep going north from Portland Maine on 295.
That marries up with 95 in Augusta.
keep your nose pointed north to Bangor and then get on the "Air Line" (route 9) East to the Calais Maine border crossing.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
For those interested, the ferry is now taking reservations from Portland Maine to Yarmouth Nova Scotia you can find it in google by typing novastar cruises in the search field.

prices are a little steep for my blood, almost $600 one way, cabin plus bike, ouch.

just thought I'd let you know.

cheers.

My math shows $366 one way for one person, cheapest cabin, motorcycle. Little higher if you want a better cabin. Top cabin, bike with trailer is $507 one way. Two people, one bike, trailer, mid level cabin is $600 one way... two ways with discount is $1080.

Brand new ship.... in this day and economy, a reasonable price considering airfare from Chicago to Halifax NS is $800 round trip per person.

And the boat lets you take your bike...

Not cheap, I know..... these people aren't selling cheap... looks like a quality ride to get you there. You want cheap, take a dingy to Yarmouth. Maybe the reason "The CAT" is out of business is because they tried to do cheap.............

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
The Lake Express Ferry, a one way 2-1/2 hour high speed ferry between Milwaukee, Wisconsin and Muskegon, Michigan costs over $200 for a two up bike and trailer with premium accommodations. Not bad to avoid riding around Chicago.
The Alaska Marine Ferry will cost several thousand and take weeks to make it from Whittier, Alaska to Bellingham, Washington.

It all depends on the length of the trip and the comfort of your stay. $600 isn't bad if you want to avoid riding around the Bay of Fundy.

But, then again, it's all about the ride, isn't it?

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
My math shows $366 one way for one person, cheapest cabin, motorcycle. Little higher if you want a better cabin. Top cabin, bike with trailer is $507 one way. Two people, one bike, trailer, mid level cabin is $600 one way... two ways with discount is $1080.

Brand new ship.... in this day and economy, a reasonable price considering airfare from Chicago to Halifax NS is $800 round trip per person.

And the boat lets you take your bike...

Not cheap, I know..... these people aren't selling cheap... looks like a quality ride to get you there. You want cheap, take a dingy to Yarmouth. Maybe the reason "The CAT" is out of business is because they tried to do cheap.............
When the CAT went out of business, it wasn't because they tried to go the cheap route. It was "The Save The Whale Foundation", or whatever you want to call them that put enough pressure to.....well.....save the whales.

At the CAT's fast speed at the time, it was almost impossible to avoid the whales when they were sighted.

·
Registered
351 Posts
When the CAT went out of business, it wasn't because they tried to go the cheap route. It was "The Save The Whale Foundation", or whatever you want to call them that put enough pressure to.....well.....save the whales.

At the CAT's fast speed at the time, it was almost impossible to avoid the whales when they were sighted.
Actually, the biggest problem they had with the Cat was it's design. On beautiful summer days it was a joy to travel on. However, in Spring and Fall and other periods of rough weather it was treacherous. I travelled it often and have seen 300 people all puking their guts out for hours at a time in bad but not real rough weather. I thought being at sea in a troop ship was bad but the Cat had it beat hands down. During the periods mentioned above sales dropped off significantly. This is the same problem they had with the Cat in Australia, it's original home.

I was quite relieved to see that the new owners bought a "real" ship/ferry. The Gulf of Maine is not the same as the Gulf of Mexico or other similar waters. It is one rough chunk of water as it flows to the Grand Banks, made famous by such books as Captains Courageous.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Taken trip on the Scotia Princess at least 10 times. They stopped it, but it was great when running. Left Portland in late afternoon, arrived in Yarmouth in Am. They had shows, dinner, gambling etc. Well worth the bucks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts