GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At 1,000 miles I changed the oil and filter.
Used Shell Rotella Synthetic 5w-40 oil and a Wally World ST6607 filter.
The drained oil looked new and I saw no metal particles at all. I was able to do the oil and filter change without removing the lower cowling by using the filter wrench I bought from Hal. The filter did not seem to be over torqued like some have reported. Noticed a missing grommet from under the right side oil dipstick cover.
Costs: 1 gal oil $16.12 Filter $2.24

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Added 2 Honda helmet headsets. Installation was easy. Some background noise when the intercom is on. Will probably need something to adjust the passenger volume since she does not like the volume as loud as I do.
Cost: $342.00

Update: Tested out the headsets today. At speed on the freeway the wind causes passagner mike to open, not good. In town and at speeds below 50 mph they work well. Side note, too bad the fader option goes away when the headsets are plugged in. Guess there is really no way to get that functionality without an aftermarket product.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Left saddle bag release failed. Both our picnic lunch and tool kit were contained within. Using knowledge I gleaned from the message boards and the file on my wife's nail clipper, I was able to pull out the plastic plug in the trunk floor and reach the release. The tool kit has a new home in the CD void at the bottom of the trunk.
Took it to the dealer for a warranty fix. It was not the first one that they have seen so they fixed the broken clip and adjusted the mechanism to prevent future problems.
Good service from San Diego House of Motorcycles.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I went to the Cyclegiant.com - Wingstuff.com store in Lake Forest, CA. Delt with Rick. A nice and informative guy. He has his wing on the premises and has every conceivable aftermarket product on it. Kind of nice to see what stuff looks like mounted.
Purchased and installed Baker mirror wings. $44.95
Also purchased 2 Arai 07 Orange helmets to match the bike. $283.99 each. Also got a tour visor for each helmet at $12.99 each.
With tax everything cost $688.42. Man this stuff adds up fast!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
At 5,581 miles I changed the oil and filter.
1 Gallon oil $16.24
2 Oil filters @ $2.67 each. Only used 1 but since the price on both oil and filters had gone up since the last oil change, I decided to buy 2 filters now and keep one on the shelf for next time.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Had a pin on the helmet side of my headset cord break off. Attempted to dig it out of the the hole without any luck.
Went to Wingstuff in Lake Forest CA and bought a new J&M headset for $77.99.
Installation was easy and I think it is a better quality set that the overpriced ones I purchased before.
Also bought a grommetkit for $3.65.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
New Tires

@ 12,597 miles I replaced the OEM Dunlop D250s with a set of Bridgestones Front $134.99 Rear $153.99 mounting $124.60.
Also purchased a small bottle of color matched touch up paint. I scratched my color matched helmet not the bike. Paint $8.74.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Face Sheild

Wife was getting beaten up by the wind pretty bad on a recent trip to the Grand Canyon. Stopped in Flagstaff and purchased a helmet sheild.
3-snap flip up smoked shield at Flagstaff Motorsports Part number 72-0016.
Cost $17.95
Tax $1.52
Total $19.47 - Wife says it was the best money ever spent. Really helped with the wind and sun.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
J&M Headset

Had a pin on the helmet side of my headset cord break off. Attempted to dig it out of the the hole without any luck.
Went to Wingstuff in Lake Forest CA and bought a new J&M headset for $77.99.
Installation was easy and I think it is a better quality set that the overpriced ones I purchased before.
Also bought a grommetkit for $3.65.
Liked mine so much bought one for the wife. Better design than the Honda ones. (strange because they are both made by J&M) and MUCH less wind noise in the mics.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Missing Grommet

At 1,000 miles I changed the oil and filter.
The drained oil looked new and I saw no metal particles at all. I was able to do the oil and filter change without removing the lower cowling by using the filter wrench I bought from Hal. The filter did not seem to be over torqued like some have reported. Noticed a missing grommet from under the right side oil dipstick cover.
Costs: 1 gal oil $16.12 Filter $2.24
I have an 08 as well. And when I did my first change I too used the ST6607 filter. AND as you found out the Jap guy was at lunch when the grommet on the lower cowling was to be installed.:fullsize::eat2::eat2::eat2: Haven't ordered a new one yet, but will eventually I am sure.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I added a beaded seat cover today. It has been hot lately and my backside is always wet from sweating. Rode 100 miles home with it and no more wet butt. It will take some getting used to the hardness of the beads.
Purchased from Wingstuff.com in Lake Forest, CA.
$17.99
+ 1.57 tax
= $19.56 total.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Final Drive Oil

@ 16,070 miles I changed the final drive gear oil. What drained out looked like lapping compound. I flushed the final drive while turning the real wheel. When the oil coming out looked like the oil going in I put the drain plug in and filled it the rest of the way.
I used Shell Rotella 80 - 90 weight gear oil.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oli Change

In preparation for a Thanksgiving week trip up the California coast I changed oil and filter.
16,100 miles on the odometer
1 gallon of Shell Rotella Synthetic 5W-40 $19.00
Supertech 6607 oil filter $2.25
Tax $1.88
Total $23.38

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
New Front Brakes

I was informed of the recall because of a problem with the secondary master cylinder causing the rear brake to drag. Had mine inspected at Motorworld in El Cajon and mine checked out fine. Mechanic did notice my front brake pads were almost worn out so I had him replace them.
Brake pads $103.56
1 Hour labor $83.38
Total $186.94

1 - 16 of 16 Posts