GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been considering a trike conversion. I have test rode the two models that I have decided between. Rode both with and without the fork rake change. I talked with several owners. If I do the trike conversion, I have decided which model and what options. So far so good.

Now the confussing part.

When talking with the trike owners, they all say they love them and would never go back to two wheels. When pressing for more details, the two main reasons I hear is not having to worry about holding the bike up and feel much safer.

Then they turn around and start telling me about being cafefull crossing RR tracks. And how some trike conversions dissable ABS and the brake crossover line between the front and rear brakes because they feel either of these could possibly flip the trike.

When all is said and done, they have given more reasons why not to trike my bike then to trike it.

I have read most of the posts on this forum and do not recall anyone that has not liked thier trike.

Please help my out here. Besides the two reasons above, what else do you like about a trike over two wheels that I should consider?

Thanks,

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
ddh156

For obvious reasons, never rode a two wheeler so I will leave the comparisons up to the guys who have. :wink: What I can tell you is that never before have I enjoyed something as much as I enjoy riding my bike. I imagine that two-wheel riding is great, but have met many trike owners and each has said the same. They love it. They all seem to agree that once they realized that "handling" the two wheeler was a bit much, moving to a trike was the best option. I have never worried about flipping the trike since I am in control, and feel confident about my riding ability. Now, as for the RR track issue, well, I always make sure to pick my feet up when crossing. 8)

·
Registered
792 Posts
I would think that crossing R.R. tracks would be use a little common sense the same as on a bike, I've never had trouble crossing them. If the conversion you want dissables the ABS than look a round there others that don't, and as far as linked brakes, I've never felt it would do anything but stop. If waiting that long to go into a turn you need to hit the brakes that hard it's not the linked brakes, it's the driver making the trike feel like it's going to tip over.
When I ride with the wife I tame my driving back and that keeps me from more trouble than it's worth, by myself it's a hole other ball game, I'll ride it hard as I can.
Do your homework, ash all your questions, then remember the poeple that make the statements don't ride the same as you do or I do. It's mostly common sense.

·
Registered
373 Posts
our trike goes over rr track better and smoother than the motorcycle ever did. we went on a fall folaige ride last week end it started to rain.the motorcycle had to slow down. because they could feel the back tire siding on curve we never had any problems at all

G

·
ddh156 said:
Then they turn around and start telling me about being cafefull crossing RR tracks. And how some trike conversions dissable ABS and the brake crossover line between the front and rear brakes because they feel either of these could possibly flip the trike.
I don't know of any conversions where the brakes are "unlinked" and a few retain the ABS - if you have it.

I have less concern at RR crossings than when on 2 wheels and I can't imagine why anyone would say this.

As to flipping???? Do you mean sideways or when doing a wheelie? I have never doing a wheelie and I cannot imagine what the brakes would have to do with flipping sideways. I think the people you got this info from don't have a clue about trikes.

Trikes are extrememly stable and they are great fun to ride. I haven't fliiped mine or dropped it yet.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hi!
Not sure which trike owners you are talking with about these issues but it sounds like they are making comments against specific kits. Probably due to the fact that they do not have that kit, not that they have information that you do not. Seems that a lot of people put down the kits they did not decide on; I think it makes them feel better about their decision. All the high end kits are great and you must decide for yourself what will work for you.

About safety. I have never had any problems crossing railroad tracks. Much easier than on a two-wheeler, so I am not sure what they are talking about. About the brakes. Champion disables the ABS and unlinks the brakes. I have about 20,000 on a Champion trike. Unlinking the brakes and disabling the ABS has nothing to do with these components causing the trike to flip. If you can talk with the guys at Champion (who use to work with California Side Car) and watch them ride a trike you will understand that their kit is designed for performance riding (they are crazy fast). The brakes are unlinked to give you better control. Remember when Honda set up the bike it was for 2 wheels where most of the braking power should come from the front, on a trike it is completely different. Coming into a corner hot I use all brakes to bring it down fast, but release the front brake first to allow the front tire to begin tracking the turn. You can drag the rear brakes a little to allow the rear end to slide a little thru the turn. If you realize about 1/2 thru the turn you are fast you can always touch the rear brakes a little. I never touch the front brake in a turn, this is why it is nice to have them unlinked. ABS was added to motorcycles mainly to prevent locking up of the rear wheel, which if released causes the rider to be high sided. You can slide the rear wheels all you want on a trike and you will never be high sided.

No matter what the combo, all I can say is I can stop the trike faster than a 2 wheeler can be stopped.

Cheers,
Jill

·
Registered
786 Posts
A all has already mention, the trike is much more stable even on snow, ice, RR tracks,

Brakes are better on a trike even when un linked than ABS and linked,
you can stop much faster and much safer on a trike,

The only reason I would not trike again is the freedom of the 2 wheel feeling, and the parking disavantage on motorcycle parking spaces,
where I work they crowd on the small clab because we can not park a bike else where,
and some times the trike can not get in or out of the parking space, not to mention the fear of getting a scracth from others.

I had the trike and went back to 2 wheels, just cause I wasn't ready yet,
kinda like giving up smoking,

on the other hand I would never trike my smaller bike due to the light ease of handling and I would in a heart beat the Goldwing, due to the size, weight and mobillty.

That's just my 2 cents

·
Registered
28 Posts
A Trike is a Trike, A two wheeler is a two wheeler. They each do their own thing in similar and very different ways!

I triked mine because

1) I love the look of a Trike, and love the ride.
2) I had a low hernia surgery 2 years ago and not holding up 1000+ lbs works for me.
3) Just came back from a 3500mi trip up the east coast, I done everything I wanted to do, without any problems. could have done it on a 2 wheeler also if I really wanted to. Key word (really wanted)

So if you tested a few trikes out, let your heart tell you what to do. you won't go wrong either way.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I understand your confusion. I've had heard similar stories, but am convinced that the trike is a safer ride for me and my wife. It handles most every condition well - wet roads, bumps, curves. Had trouble getting used to the different ride, after being on two wheels for so long. Think I am there, now. Although the ride is different, the benefits outweigh any perceptions or reality about the downsides to a trike.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Holly doesn't give it any thought when crossing railroad tracks. As to unlinked brakes her Champion trike has it's brakes unlinked. If you want to know why just call Champion's factory they will be more then happy to explain the reason why. Holly wouldn't want a trike with linked brakes the way she rides. If you over cook a corner big time just hit the brake peddle with you foot to slow you down. Don't have to worry about upsetting the balance whey flying around a corner by getting the front brake involved. With linked brakes the trike will want to push to the outside of the corner when you hit the brakes hard. By just using the rear brake it pulls you slower and does not make the trike want to push to the outside of the turn. If you don't ride real aggressive you would never have a problem. If you ride your trike like you stoled it then unlinked is the way to go. As I stated above you can call the Champion factory and they will explain the same thing I just posted. There is never been any concern with her trike trying to slide sideways over any bumps or railroad tracks ever!!!! You can corner so hard you really feel like your going to fly off the trike, but the trike feels rock solid and corners like a slot car.

·
Registered
167 Posts
DDH156

I don't have the feel that many on this board because we have only had our trike a month but would not go back to 2 wheels. We have a CSC and simply love it .Our biggest problem is how gets to drive .My wife totally enjoys it and there is no way if I thought there was any way she was going to have the problems you mentioned she would be out on her own. Its far safer than 2 wheels for us anyway and the best choice we could have made for some great fun together.we ride far more and alot longer than we ever did when we each had our on bike. I researched them all and just liked the looks of the CSC. My dealer installs 4 brands so i did have a choice. Get the one you like and don't look back Its worked fou us :D

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the push.

OK, I guess I just needed a little push. Ordered the trike today. Should be done first of December.

·
Registered
337 Posts
We put 50,000 on our 2001 GL as a two wheeler. Decided to have a Hannigan kit installed (over this winter) due to knee surgeries, a shoulder replacement and a compressed hip injury caused by a tip over. I always thought that I'd trike out when I got old, didn't know I'd get old at 59. No disrespect intended to anyone. :roll:

G

·
Re: Thanks for the push.

ddh156 said:
OK, I guess I just needed a little push. Ordered the trike today. Should be done first of December.
You are a wise man. Whoever told you that trikes "flip" is an idiot. Brakes that are not linked on trikes is common. No problem. ABS, if used on a trike kit is nice, but not necessary. A rake kit IS highly desirable. Sure hope you ordered it for yours.

Yes, you will miss 2 wheel riding dynamics, as all us former 2 wheel riders do, but the advantages far outweigh that as we get older and begin to have problems handling heavy bikes, especially riding 2 up.

You can look forward to miles of smiles.

Enjoy. Ride safe.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Well, I have not taken the time to read all the replies, so if this has already been stated, my apologies. Champion does (beginning only recently) unlink the brakes. Good or bad?? Who knows.

Now the complaint re railroad tracks (as I see it): It is just as safe as 2 wheels, BUT there is more of a jar. The same can be said for pulling into your driveway. The pure fact is that at slow speeds and hitting an uneven surface, your front tire does cause more jerking and that squirrely feeling in the handlebars. I have lessened the feeling by simply loosening my grip on the bars, and the jerking goes away in a nano second after the front tire has crossed the uneven surface. I say, no problem, you will adjust to that aspect in one - two days.

Larry

·
Registered
66 Posts

ddh156 said:

Congrats. Will be a nice Christmas present for yourself and family.

BTW, what trike kit did you decide on?

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Beastie wrote....."Trikes are extrememly stable and they are great fun to ride. I haven't fliiped mine or dropped it yet."

I haven't flipped mine, but I did drop it. The day I brought it home, I dropped it in front of the house and all the neighbors. Not only embarassing but a bear to get it back up. :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Sk8ter said:
ddh156 said:

Congrats. Will be a nice Christmas present for yourself and family.

BTW, what trike kit did you decide on?
I had it narrowed down between CSC and Champion. Decided on Champion.

Also had a trip planned over Thanksgiving to Key West, FL. Now going to postpone it until December. Hope weather stays nice long enough to get out of NC.

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
I don't think there's a bad kit of any of the major players out there. Our choice came down to the "Looks" of the kit than anything else....they're all great looking...sort of like Lincoln or Caddy....what floats your boat.....

Enjoy it......be safe.....have a blast!!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts