GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Reverse button was starting to stick.

So I searched through the posts here and found I should get some cleaner instead of WD-40 to clean the switch.

This morning, I went to Radio Shack and bought some cleaner and came home and split the handlebar switch housing apart and could see the reverse switch inside. I sprayed to clean it and started pushing the switch in and out, and of course now it is stuck in.

Of course stupid me.............I turned the key on...

That means the bike is stuck in Reverse and I can't push the bike back in the garage. (it is half way in the garage).

My wife just mentioned the other night with all the problems we have had if we get a lemon.

If I don't get this fixed by the time she gets home...............she will have a fit.

Should I just drop the garage door and hope it totals the bike and finally get rid of this?

Signed...

Desperate in Calimesa

·
Registered
85 Posts
hope this helps

some have said to push on the end or the corner. others have cut a a peace of plastic in the shape of a feeler gauge, a little smaller then the switch is wide and work that into the switch to get it to pop out. good luck al

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The switch button moves in and out about 1/8 of an inch and moves freely, it seems like the little box that has the connections in it is stuck.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Heat

Try the wife's hair dryer on it. The old grease in the switch has gotten hard with age. Regretfully it's a common problem on the 1800 switches. I took my emergency flasher switch apart and also my reverse switch when they started sticking. If I can do it, you can do it. JUST READ UP ON HOW BEFORE YOU DO IT. Especially the part about using a zip lock bag when you open the switch.

Back to now. Put heat on the switch and try to soften the old grease. Push on the edge of the switch and it may pop out after 10 pushes and it may be 100 but mine always finally came out.

GO SLOW with the pushes. I got ticked and started pushing faster and faster and the switch came out and I pushed it back in and stuck it before my brain could stop my finger from pushing the switch again. You never know when the next push will pop out the switch.

·
Registered
7,372 Posts
raw2210 has it right. The old grease prevents a little metal rod inside the switch from changing from one inside track to the other. Only long term fix is to take the switch apart and clean the old grease out and spray some light teflon type lubricant in it to allow the pin to easily slide back and forth.

But in the meantime, need to try and get the grease soft enough to allow the pin to slide over. Hair dryer and gently pushing on a corner of the switch to get it to pop out.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, I got it un-stuck by doing what you said, pushing it slowly. I agree, pushing it too fast could cause it to come out and then you push it back in before you know what you did. What a relief that is over. It seems to work fine now.

I also did the PTT switch for the CB radio and now the TX comes on again.

I wrapped towels around the handlebars to catch any remaining drips while it sits in the garage tonight.

I thought I would have to leave the garage open all night, or worse yet, the wife telling me to get rid of it.

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
7,372 Posts
:clap2: :yes:

·
Registered
901 Posts
Glad you got it done.
Sometimes a shot of WD40 first loosens it up then follow up with electrical contact cleaner.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Ok, I got it un-stuck by doing what you said, pushing it slowly. I agree, pushing it too fast could cause it to come out and then you push it back in before you know what you did. What a relief that is over. It seems to work fine now.

I also did the PTT switch for the CB radio and now the TX comes on again.

I wrapped towels around the handlebars to catch any remaining drips while it sits in the garage tonight.

I thought I would have to leave the garage open all night, or worse yet, the wife telling me to get rid of it.

Thanks for the help
Just a note. Don't push it in all the way. You probably inadvertently did just that by pushing in slowly. Experiment with different depths on the push. You will likely find the sweet spot which is not all the way in and it will come back out.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, so what do you do if the button NEVER comes out again?

Is there some relay or fuse that can be removed to get the bike out of reverse?

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,187 Posts
Ok, so what do you do if the button NEVER comes out again?

Is there some relay or fuse that can be removed to get the bike out of reverse?
No. The switch has to be repaired or replaced. If you pull the fuse associated with it, it will come out of reverse, but you won't be able to start the bike. If you reinstall the fuse, it will go right back into reverse. This is the reason a lot of folks don't ever use it again once it sticks.

·
Registered
16,852 Posts
No. The switch has to be repaired or replaced. If you pull the fuse associated with it, it will come out of reverse, but you won't be able to start the bike. If you reinstall the fuse, it will go right back into reverse. This is the reason a lot of folks don't ever use it again once it sticks.
And, not using it regularly is a sure way to have stick when you do use it. I avoid use of reverse and emergency lights when it is cool outside.

prs

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Use them all, all the time... Every switch (mute, cruise on/off, hazards, reverse) gets cycled every time the bike rolls. If one even offers to stick, it comes out and gets a silicone spray/contact cleaner bath (soaking bath) from the bottom side of the switch. Mine have never been disassembled in almost a quarter of a million miles, and every original switch still works. Use them or lose them. Worst thing you can do is leave them alone.

YMMV :thumbup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts