GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at replacing my somewhat wear worn original stock windshield with one of the V-Stream SE windshields and I stumbled on to this comparison video from National Cycle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0u1MjWcwCLA&feature=related

I was all ready to pull the trigger after watching that once, then when I watched it a second time, I noticed a very important additional difference between the two windshield setups. Take a look under the mirrors.

I've already got the hand wings on my bike and it's not a deal killer if this windshield doesn't do more for the passenger, but it does make me question the integrity of the company now.

It seems from reading this board that most of the people who've bought this shield are happy with them. Is there anyone out there that can say if the difference demonstrated in this video is really there without the extra little helpers under the mirrors?

Warren

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Good catch. I'll give them the benefit of doubt that it may not have been cought by them when the climbed off the first to the second bike. They should have noticed though.
We all know that editing can do wonders as well as dubbing and other "tricks of the trade" LOL

All I can say is the wife unit likes what the V has done for her ride. She still gets wind, but not tossed around like before. The wings do help a lot too. I like it and think it looks nice on the bike, but for me it is almost too still behind the shield. I have become used to it over time and with the wings and the vent, air can be had behind it.

I guess I should say that the only reason I actually bought one is because one of our members had it for sale. I did have to contact V stream for install instructions and they were quick to send them and wanted to know if they forgot them for some reason. I was glad I did that, because the ones that came from them with the shield were terrible to read.

Best of luck on your choice.

This is active now. http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=296311 You may get doubled up on, but could get a few responses there that could be helpfull.

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
Very observant. And yes, the mirror and air wings are probably making the majority of the difference. Not saying the shield isn't also helping, but I know that the combination of the Bakers makes that kind of difference for my wife with either stock or a Cee Bailey sport shield. Too bad they didn't do the direct comparison. I had a National shield on my SEi, and it was a good quality acrylic shield - nice and thick and didn't flex any.

·
Registered
19,060 Posts
I would not purchase a product from a vendor that should know that a BAKER HAND WING probably was what reduced the buffeting.MY oem shield works fine. But when worn or damaged I will replace it with a F4. I dont seem to experience the buffeting problem many here do. I ride with the oem shield push down and with Baker mirror wings

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
I would not purchase a product from a vendor that should know that a BAKER HAND WING probably was what reduced the buffeting.MY oem shield works fine. But when worn or damaged I will replace it with a F4. I dont seem to experience the buffeting problem many here do. I ride with the oem shield push down and with Baker mirror wings
Ditto! :agree:

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Yeah, that's pretty sad. Good catch.

I have had 5 different windshields on my bike, and while most of them made some difference in the buffeting, nothing has come close to what the Bakers do for the passenger. Even the stock shield is pretty good with the Bakers. That video is a worthless comparison.

If anything, Baker should use this video in his advertising.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Board

Warren , This post is an example of why I love

this board. Thanks to our sponsor and all

who post good info. :bow: Good catch.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I just replaced my original '02 windshield with an original size F4 ... love it ... NOT guaranteed scratch proof ... but nearly so. Demo with steel wool under the wiper blade sold me ... along with meeting the F4 company owner. He was installing his windshields at the recent GWRRA Region "D" rally in Coldwater, Michigan ... we were there as a vendor ... he was just down the aisle ... very personable guy ... explained the history of the company ... he wanted some Frogg Toggs from us ...

Since Dixie & I were there in the Jeep with a trailer load of goodies we brought the windshield home and I spent some time installing it the other night. Took lots or extra time ... piece of cake ... used lots of Velcro (the new F4 slides up & down on the Velcro). I don't like vents ... do like the original height ... always look over the shield. Baker hand wings work great !!!:thumbup:

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Good catch. Yep, I would say that the Mirror Wings made the biggest difference. I have found the Mirror Wings to be one of the best additions that I have on my bike...and that is my assessment after some 130k miles of riding.

I have a V-Stream and have been pleased with it. I normally do not have a passenger on my bike so I cannot say how much difference it would make for a passenger. However, there is a pretty big difference for the rider. I actually find the air to be too calm behind the V-Stream on a warmer day. I got one of the very first V-Streams at a great low price without the vent. If one is going to get a V-Stream I strongly recommend that you get one with the vent so you can let in a little more air at times.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Even though they should have tested both shields with or without the air wings I found our results very similar to the video. We had Baker wings on our bike with at all times. My wife is very happy with this change. The intercom is also much less noisy than with the stock shield which translates into quieter air flow in the back seat.

·
Registered
780 Posts
We changed to the VStream and the wife said it helped out alot, also have the baker hand wings. I also find that the air is almost too still behind the Vstream on some days and I even have the air vent. The way it is shaped, you don't get as much wind through the vent as you did on the OEM. We really like our Vstream.

·
Registered
967 Posts
If you're buying the V Stream to help with passenger buffeting, I can't offer an opinion, but I can say it makes a big difference for the driver. I also have Baker hand wings and the addition of the VS was quickly noticed by the lack of buffeting of the driver. That was the first thing I noticed. Don't forget there are other reasons to have the VS, like ease of cleaning and less flex due to the added thickness.

I don't think National Cycle is trying to pull the wool over anybodys eyes. Their product just plain 'ole works.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I like the windshield and I'm possibly going to add one to my Wing but I have a question. What effect does this windshield have on riding in the HOT SUMMER? Does it make it a hotter ride since there is less airflow across both the rider and the passenger?

·
Registered
967 Posts
Not to me, but that's just me

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I like the windshield and I'm possibly going to add one to my Wing but I have a question. What effect does this windshield have on riding in the HOT SUMMER? Does it make it a hotter ride since there is less airflow across both the rider and the passenger?

Just open the vent and the air wings to bring in all the air you want.

No big difference, it's just smoother air flow.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Yup, very good catch. I think that when I can get my wife to start riding with me again (she's been too ill to ride), the Bakers will go on first.

As for what the V-Stream + bakers do on a hot summer day, I obviously can't answer that from experience with those products.

However, my educated guess is that out here in the desert, it'd be the difference between being in an oven and being in a blast furnace.

Note: We tend to park the bike during the hottest months of the summer. The rest of the year is fine for riding.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Maybe more wings?

Since the video does not show the lower fairing, it's possible that they also had added the lower wings, not just the ones on the mirrors. If true, that would even further reduce the passenger buffeting. To me that is deceptive advertising and someone (?) should challenge them on it. I'm happy with my Tulsa windscreen, will probaly add some wings to reduce passenger buffeting when I can put together some more $.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
About a year ago I changed from my stock (non-vented) screen the the SE (vented).

No question that, from the captain's seat, it's a HUGE improvement. It's quieter (I can hear the radio/iPod at freeway speeds -- without headphones), buffeting is essentially non-existent, and the vent allows me to regulate how much 'clean' air I want to bring in.

The Rear Admiral reports great improvement, too!

I don't have any deflector/wings-thingies.

BTW, the shield is a clear and scratch free as the day I bought it -- and rain/fog beads up as tight as... well, you know.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
What was the wind speed and direction differences between the two test?
A head/tail wind makes a BIG difference.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts