GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, here we come! We have pretty much decided to go darkside soon! We just got back from vacation and the MTs are pretty chopped. So now we're looking at replacing the front also. My husband is again leaning toward a better tire on the front. So we are looking into the BT-45 or the Stone 709. Can I get suggestions, recommendations, opinions, alternatives, etc? I bow to your expert opinions!! :bow: :lol:

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
hey Slimhowdy! The front tire you use may have a lot to do with the style of riding you like to do. If you do a lot of slab and hiway riding, the BT45 will be a great choice. It's downside is that it is a dual compound tire, meaning the sides are a bit soft. If you ride a lot of curves (especially if you are aggressive) you will use it up fairly quickly. (you will have to work really hard to wear out the center of a BT45) They do like high pressure (41-45) or they tend to cup and then buzz in the handlebars.

A lot of guys like the Bridgestones a lot. They are a great tire with good traction, great cornering capability and good all-around performance. The downside for me is that I go through them fairly quickly (7-8k miles vs 20k on my BT45's) and I don't like changing tires (I'd rather be riding!) Because we live in the center of the flatlands, I usually keep a BT45 on my wing. If I am going on a mountain ride, I have been known to spring for a 709.

others will be along shortly with other opinions.:thumbup:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, here we come! We have pretty much decided to go darkside soon! We just got back from vacation and the MTs are pretty chopped. So now we're looking at replacing the front also. My husband is again leaning toward a better tire on the front. So we are looking into the BT-45 or the Stone 709. Can I get suggestions, recommendations, opinions, alternatives, etc? I bow to your expert opinions!! :bow: :lol:
One other question to the mix: Is there any problem with either of these tires and clearance issues of the front fender? I haven't seen any comments and my husband was wondering!

·
Registered
611 Posts
One other question to the mix: Is there any problem with either of these tires and clearance issues of the front fender? I haven't seen any comments and my husband was wondering!
No problems with clearance at all

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
What "revrunt" said is pretty accurate.... If I may add some more thoughts.... I have my forth Lasertec on the front...... It's smooth at any speed...No buzz as it has an uninterrupted tread pattern.... Look at any tire used on the front.. if it has an interrupted tread pattern, you are likely to have buzz in the bars at around 25-30mph..

It's probably a 70/30 tire.. meaning 70% slab and 30% twisties.... I've had pretty good luck with about 15K on each tire..... Handles the water great... Need to run it at about 40 pounds...Good luck on your research... Cheers... :doorag:

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
I had clearance problems with it. I had to do surgery on the rear section of the front fender to stop it from scrubbing at speeds over 75mph. It would still rub around 90mph no matter what I did.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
If you stick with the standard size of 130/70H-18
you shouldn't have too many problems with clearance... Cheers...:doorag:

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Well...after a year and a half and 20,000 miles, I discover I have the WRONG SIZE tire on the front. I have a 130/80 on the front of mine. I don't know if I oredered the wrong size or they shipped the wrong one and I failed to catch it but all is good now except for some fender damage from it. That ought to teach me to be a little more observant.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What "revrunt" said is pretty accurate.... If I may add some more thoughts.... I have my forth Lasertec on the front...... It's smooth at any speed...No buzz as it has an uninterrupted tread pattern.... Look at any tire used on the front.. if it has an interrupted tread pattern, you are likely to have buzz in the bars at around 25-30mph..

It's probably a 70/30 tire.. meaning 70% slab and 30% twisties.... I've had pretty good luck with about 15K on each tire..... Handles the water great... Need to run it at about 40 pounds...Good luck on your research... Cheers... :doorag:
Are you running this in reverse? Is that pretty much standard for all front mounted rear tires?

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Are you running this in reverse? Is that pretty much standard for all front mounted rear tires?
No. Run the tire in the correct rotation, it is designed to run that way for water dispersion.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Here is some reading on mounting the tires in a given direction.

http://www.cyrilhuzeblog.com/2009/08/23/tires-directional-arrows-explained-by-avon-tyres/

The quote below was obtained from Metzler. They have since changed the wording to what is at the link below.
When producing tires, the top cap is heated with an angle bump on the carcass. To prevent the detachment of the assembled edges the tire has to be mounted (concerning the main stress: acceleration force at the rear wheel or brake force at the front wheel) corresponding to the respective declaration.
Therefore the declaration of the driving direction at the tires� sidewall is a very important safety regard and has to be noticed absolute. It is not allowed to mount front tires at rear wheels.
In case you intend to mount a rear tire on a front wheel it has to be assembled contrary to the driving direction declaration (direction of the arrow at the tires� sidewall). Please observe the standards in your country. In any doubts we kindly ask you to consult your dealer.

From: http://www.us.metzelermoto.com/web/products/technology/faq/default.page

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
How did Wingjammer get involved with this? Because he runs a BT45?:lol:
Huh? :shrug: Say what? Oh, Roger that.

Involved now. Yep, BT45 azzbackards mounted, 2 oz. magic beads, no issues. On the 3rd. one. Cannot wear out the center, soft side compound sticks like glue. YMMV, I'm satsified.

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
If you stick with the standard size of 130/70H-18
you shouldn't have too many problems with clearance... Cheers...:doorag:
:agree::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
2,550 Posts

The way I see it.... run it how ever you want.... The actual road contact with the tire is very small.... water will be displaced out the side no matter which way you run the tire..... Also, there is just not enough heavy braking to warrant running the tire in reverse because of tire construction.... If ones braking is so drastic and puts the rider in frequent semi emergency situations then the riders riding style needs to change before he gets in a wreck and really hurts himself.....Remember it's all about "Time and Space"......Cheers .... :doorag:

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I am currently running the 709 and am getting about 8K of miles out of the two I have had on it. Have another one I plan on getting put on before going to W VA. Thinking about going with the BT45 after I use up the new one. I need to find out how many miles the BT45 will get running in the mountains vs the 8k I am getting out of the 709. I seen some post where people were getting 10 to 12K out of the 709 but mine are at the wear bars at a little better than 8k, I change them when I get to the indicators. I really like the 709 but wish I could get a few more thousand out of it. Good luck on your new choices for tires.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
I am currently running the 709 and am getting about 8K of miles out of the two I have had on it. Have another one I plan on getting put on before going to W VA. Thinking about going with the BT45 after I use up the new one. I need to find out how many miles the BT45 will get running in the mountains vs the 8k I am getting out of the 709. I seen some post where people were getting 10 to 12K out of the 709 but mine are at the wear bars at a little better than 8k, I change them when I get to the indicators. I really like the 709 but wish I could get a few more thousand out of it. Good luck on your new choices for tires.
Plan on doubling the mileage from the 709 to the BT45 I get 20-25k on the slab and 15k if I run one REALLY hard in the twisties. As someone else said, you will never wear out the center of one.:thumbup:

I do run mine reverse... Has to do with the splice construction.

·
Registered
598 Posts
No. Run the tire in the correct rotation, it is designed to run that way for water dispersion.
Take a look at a set of Metzeler ME880's or Tourances, Michelin Pilot Roads, Bridgestone G709/G704 - the front tire has the tread pattern reversed from the rear tire. It is that way for - just as you stated - water dispersion. But the front tire's braking force is much greater than the rear tire's, so the grooves are oriented for stopping.

Metzeler (and Continental, which makes the same recommendation) know whereof they speak.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts