GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two weeks ago I was riding in the Colorado Rockies and stopped in a little town for gas. Turned the bike off before I put it into neutral. No big deal I said, I've done it before.

Well this time it was a big deal, wouldn't start because it hadn't automatically dropped into N this time. At first I panicked a little, a long ways from home with a bike that won't start. So I thought about it for a while then started going through steps that others suggested when they did the same thing. Eventually after turning it off and on many times, it forgave me and put itself into neutral. I don't think I will do that again!

·
Registered
16,980 Posts
I think one, if not the most, successful thing to do is to rock the bike back and forth with ignition in on position. It is actually a manual tranny with dual clutch engagement, so it can get gearing into a position where the "dogs" and "slots" do not mate. It has been theorized that this may happen if the bike is turned off while in gear and in slight motion. I had this happen once when bike was new and in my garage, a very slight rearward push by me and it clicked into N.

prs

·
Registered
466 Posts
I know the feeling, though not yet on a Goldwing. Glad to hear that persistence was rewarded.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Many reports if this happening. Rocking the bike and powering down seems to resolve most. I posted a photo previously of what the owners manual suggests when this occurs.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Also squeeze the front brake lever very hard and hit the start button. That works.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I also learned my lesson when I failed to put the bike in neutral and used the Kill Switch to turn it off. Now I always put it in neutral and use the ignition switch to turn it off as stated in the owners manual.

·
Registered
271 Posts
On my first automatic (2014 CTX) I must have used the kill switch hundreds of time before I realized from reading somewhere you weren't supposed to do that and put into neutral first and use the key.

Never once on this bike did it fail to go into neutral on it's own. Must be a Wing thing.

·
Registered
7,562 Posts
Honda must have anticipated that it might happen sometimes.

The manual suggests using N when shutting it off -- BUT -- it also lists possible solutions (same ones as presented in earlier posts) for when it isn't in N at restart time.

·
15 year Member
6,898 Posts
I had put my 2007 in reverse whilst in Bryce canyon, well is didn’t come out because said button was stuck in. need less to say “persistence” is needed in a variety of circumstances when dealing with “buttons” I must have spend the good part of 15 minutes pushing the button, flicking the button and knuckling the button, when alas it decided to “release” and went on my happy way......

Moral of the story??

Be patient, be persistent, and be calm....

Mattbcnv

Reactions: INTHEWIND

·
Registered
8,747 Posts
I know what you mean Matt, put my 2005 in reverse at a PGR mission. Guess who didn't make the mission?
It was embarrassing, I was the Ride Captain too.:crying:
Never used it again, could not take the chance of being stranded. :smile2:
Those older model switches were terrible.
Love the 2018, for a lot of reasons, including the switches. .:grin2:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts