GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm running a kumho 195/55/16 at 38 psi the center is wearing alot more than the sides at 6500 mile I was wondering should I up the pressure and to what psi I must say thanks for the info and loveing the exsperiance of a ct I'm hooked :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
Lower the pressure....

·
DSI Keeper
9,167 Posts
Yep, lower the pressure. I am afraid you are seeing one of the downsides of running the non runflats. It takes higher pressure to run them, at the price of center wear. The trade off is something you need to decide.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
The more air you put into the tire, the "rounder" it gets. That means the tire is not sitting completely flat and you are running on a smaller (center based) contact patch.

If you see excessive wear in the center of the tire, you have to much air in it for even wear. This may be a necessary evil depending on your preference with sidewall flex.

interesting I thought I'd want to rase it thank's I value you're input keep on rideing :cool:

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Which Kuhmo are you running! If you are running a non run flat that has stiffer sidewalls you can run them with less pressure. Every NRF I have run I usually run 40-44psi. However, if I am running the slab I will drop it down to 38psi, but the NRFs I run have shall we say, more flexible sidewalls! Then there is the General G-max that I have to have at least 47psi to keep it from flexing to much!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm runnimg a V rated nrf which is a high performance tire which I would think it would have a very stiff side wall so I quess I would want to go down in psi I do noticed on the center stand it looks really round I think I'll try 36 new at this game you guys are a lot of help thanks

·
Premium Member
31,972 Posts
I'm runnimg a V rated nrf which is a high performance tire which I would think it would have a very stiff side wall so I quess I would want to go down in psi I do noticed on the center stand it looks really round I think I'll try 36 new at this game you guys are a lot of help thanks
Ride straight through some water and measure tread width on dry pavement or shoe polish on tire itself. Adjust psi accordingly :thumbup:

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Camp, you can get some white tennis shoe polish and put a couple inch wide stripe across the tread. Run a short distance in a straight line and check the wear area. If it's in the center let air out and repeat the process until it removes the shoe polish evenly across the tire. After you find what pressure the tire wears evenly then you may want to experiment with pressure and tweak it to your liking.:thumbup:

·
Registered
393 Posts
I have found this method works well:

Step 1 - Lower the air pressure by 2 psi.

Step 2 - Test drive and see if the bike feels wiggly or loose in turns.

Step 3 - If the answer to Step 2 is No then repeat Step 1
If the answer to Step 2 is Yes then go to Step 4

Step 4 - Add 1 psi of air pressure and test drive again. Repeat Step 4 as necessary. Add just enough air to get rid of the wiggle.

If you run just enough air pressure to keep the sidewall stiff enough for the way you drive you will get the best tire wear.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
The shoe polish works great.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts