GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I followed the advise of this list and I now have a nuvi 550.... great little item but I cannot upload a route with waypoints ..... I do the mydata -> import from-> select the uploaded route from basecamp and nuvi auto shuts off.... Same map route/waypoint uploaded to Streetpilot 2610 and is perfect. I used the new Nuvi 2011 maps to create ..... Does the nuvi not take basemap routes an waypoints....

Thanks for the advise/flames/etc.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Read the directions. You need to transfer them on the GPS.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Read the directions. You need to transfer them on the GPS.
Is that like "RTFM".... I read everything in the manual, also at Garmin on the 550. No where does it address loading routes and waypoints to the unit. I transfered from to device (Basecamp) ...did the send list to device (Basecamp) loaded .gpx file to unit (forget exact where but was on another list) .. loaded directly to 4GB scandisk card...did the MyData->Import Route from file {turns off unit every time} ......

Used same USB cord on my Garmin StreetPilot 2610 {in frustration} transfered and loaded route perfect, and from the maps loaded down from the 550.... I'll do the Read The F...ing Manual if you know where there is one that talkes about importing or loading from computer or .gpx file.

This is almost like the NavSystems on the early Nav equipted GoldWings. To sit and build a custom route with manual entries on the 550 just doesn't work for me but if that is the way to do it, I have a refurbished nuvi 550 will sell cheap.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have a 1490 t and also a 2610. When you send to device there is a place you can check to send waypoints,make sure they are checked.

I can't send routes to the 1490, it will send waypoints and then route itself to the waypoints like it wants to (shortest or fastest). You have to use a lot more waypoints with the 1490 than the 2610 to make it go the way you want it to. I like the 2610 much better for what I do than the 1490, wish they had an update for the 2610.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Is that like "RTFM".... I read everything in the manual, also at Garmin on the 550. No where does it address loading routes and waypoints to the unit. I transfered from to device (Basecamp) ...did the send list to device (Basecamp) loaded .gpx file to unit (forget exact where but was on another list) .. loaded directly to 4GB scandisk card...did the MyData->Import Route from file {turns off unit every time} ......

Used same USB cord on my Garmin StreetPilot 2610 {in frustration} transfered and loaded route perfect, and from the maps loaded down from the 550.... I'll do the Read The F...ing Manual if you know where there is one that talkes about importing or loading from computer or .gpx file.

This is almost like the NavSystems on the early Nav equipted GoldWings. To sit and build a custom route with manual entries on the 550 just doesn't work for me but if that is the way to do it, I have a refurbished nuvi 550 will sell cheap.
How much? I have a friend that may want it.

I use Mapsource. Once you transfer the files to the device, on the Nuvi, you need to go to "Import Route From File". The route will not show up on your device unless you do that. This works with my 500. I see you have tried that. You may have a problem with your Nuvi. You may want to call Garmin and ask them about your problem. It takes awhile for them to answer the phone, but they will be very helpful when they finally do. If you don't have Mapsource, they will probably give you a code to download it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I use Mapsource. Once you transfer the files to the device, on the Nuvi, you need to go to "Import Route From File". The route will not show up on your device unless you do that. This works with my 500. I see you have tried that. You may have a problem with your Nuvi. You may want to call Garmin and ask them about your problem. It takes awhile for them to answer the phone, but they will be very helpful when they finally do. If you don't have Mapsource, they will probably give you a code to download it.
Good advice, should have done that already but had a ride this morning expecting rain and the 2610 is not waterproof.... I believe I have a bad 550 as if all I needed to do after upload was "Import Route From File' but mine dies when I do then maybe Factory Refurbished doesn't mean Factory Tested... Thanks

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I just printed off a "Quick Start Manual" and an "Owners Manual". Instructions are on page 20 of the Owners Manual. I've had my Refurbished Nuvi 500 for about 3 years now. I use it on long trips on the bike and in the work truck everyday. It's been in all kinds of weather on the bike. It's still working great.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Good advice, should have done that already but had a ride this morning expecting rain and the 2610 is not waterproof.... I believe I have a bad 550 as if all I needed to do after upload was "Import Route From File' but mine dies when I do then maybe Factory Refurbished doesn't mean Factory Tested... Thanks

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
What ever happened with this? I downloaded new maps to my Nuvi 500 and it locked up. All it would do is keep turning on and off. I called Garmin and they told me that even though my unit was out of warranty (I did have it registered with them), they would replace it. I opted to pay for a replacement so they would ship it right away and they would refund it back to me when they received mine. This happened last Thursday and I already have the replacement. All I need now is my money refunded.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Glad you have a new unit. I did the same thing with the FactoryOutletStore, not associated with Garmin. The new unit had the same problem. It did load some routes/waypoints from a .gpx file created in MapSource. Used it on a ride and it is spot on. I guess I will have to buy and new 2011 MapSource of north America to get it to upload a created map by me. BootCamp is all I have on the Mac but I have a Dell for MapSource.

Be aware the FactoryOutletStore docks you 15% even if an authorized return and sells you the replacement at a higher price. 30 minutes 3 separate agents and finally got some of the $ back.

Thanks everyone for the help and the original Nuvi 550 recommendation, 199.00 is sure better than 650.00 for the ZUMO, even if the Zumo is more Motorcycle friendly.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
You still need to register the new one with Garmin. It helps a lot if you need to call them. By the way, they received my unit on Tuesday and by Thursday I had my money refunded.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts