GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed a Nuvi 680 on my 06' Wing with Ram mount system and hooked the microphone to it with Ed Sets Mic adapter for the Zumo. All Features work really well for making and receiving phone calls with the built in Bluetooth Link.

My question is.... has anyone figured out how the passenger can talk during the phone calls? With the intercom turned on the passenger can listen to the phone conversations, but is unable to participate in the conversation. :shrug:

I'm sure someone on the board has wanted to do this and figured out a way to enable the passenger mic.

Thanks in advance for any information on this item.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
The EdSet mic adapter connects just the rider's mic (typically) to the GPS mic input.

If you want both helmets to be able to speak on the phone, the easiest way is to use a Kennedy CellSet module (or get creative and try to connect another EdSet mic splitter in parallel with your existing unit, but my gut tells me that this wouldn't work very well.)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nuvi 680 Cell Interface

Thanks for the input Jon. I will have to look at the schematics and see how the rear mic is tied in. I am wondering how the push to talk for the CB ties in the rear mic for the passenger. It may be only for use with the CB circuits. I will continue to investigate some options.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
The audio unit has one microphone input signal and it is connected to both headset jacks together. The mic splitter takes the signal from your helmet mic, isolates it and feeds this signal to the GPS cradle microphone input.

Since the signal is taken from your headset pigtail and not the bike's microphone lead, only your helmet is connected to the GPS.

The PTT buttons have nothing to do with the microphone signals - it just signals the radio to transmit.

·
Registered
425 Posts
The audio unit has one microphone input signal and it is connected to both headset jacks together. The mic splitter takes the signal from your helmet mic, isolates it and feeds this signal to the GPS cradle microphone input.

Since the signal is taken from your headset pigtail and not the bike's microphone lead, only your helmet is connected to the GPS.

The PTT buttons have nothing to do with the microphone signals - it just signals the radio to transmit.

Does the mic splitter just tap the mic signal and common return wires, or is there more to it than that?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mic Splitter

I discussed this with Ed Davis the owner of Ed Sets before purchase and he told me it splits the mic and makes a clone copy of it to send to the GPS. It does involve some electronics to isolate it electrically from the bikes system. You cannot just tap into the mic circuit and splice in another input for the GPS, it will not work.

Jon explains this pretty well in one of his responses on this post.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts