GL1800Riders Forums banner

Like it? Vote after you check out the route.

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been studying this volcano thing… You can to: http://vulcan.wr.usgs.gov It looks like we get SIX volcanoes if we ride right. I came up with a north to south route that encompasses a bunch of twisty back roads and some reasonably tasty options if the best roads are still closed from winter snow fall and maintenance. I’m guessing we might want to spend the night in Yakima to get the most out of this ride! I’ll let the numbers and maps say more. Looks like an easy 2.5 miles. Let me know watcha think?

Route Name, Miles, Time, Options

1-Ferndale-Baker, 61.5 mi, 01:37:53, AB
2-Baker-Glacier, 178 mi, 05:20:03, AB
3-Glacier-Naches, 268 mi, 06:38:42, AB
4a-Naches-Paradise, 86.3 mi, 01:55:27, A
4b-Naches-Paradise, 101 mi, 02:27:50, B
5a-Paradise-WindyRidge, 96.9 mi, 02:41:43, A
5b-Paradise-JohnsonRidge, 154 mi, 03:58:26, B
6a-Windy-BeaconRock, 132 mi, 03:33:01, A op1
6c-Windy-MtHood, 190 mi, 05:01:41, A op2 –no Rt 7
6b-Johnson-BeaconRock, 124 mi, 02:43:00, B
7-BeaconRock-MtHood, 124 mi, 02:54:21, AB
8-MtAdamsSide, 45.4 mi, 01:18:03, Option
9-FallsTour , 49.8 mi, 01:03:28, Option

A is the most awesome route; full of twisties and elevation changes.
A op2 cuts off some time in the Gorge.
B is second best if the really good roads are still closed.

Route A 947 miles
Route Ac 880.7
Route B 1010.5 miles
(options 8 & 9 not included)

Leg 1: Ferndale to Mt Baker.

Leg 2: Mt Baker to Glacier via Chuckanut and Skagit River Road.

Leg 3: Glacier to Naches via Stevens and Blewett Pass, plus Yakima Canyon.

Legs 4: Hopefully we can run Chinook Pass and ride through the park, but if those roads are still closed, we can ride White Pass and Skate Creek Road (TWICE!) to get up to Paradise and back.

Legs 5: When we get done playing in the SNOW we can see either side of St Helens. East side is an awesome road, but it might not be open yet. West side is smooth and the road goes in to within 5 miles of the lava dome. Very nice road and real visitor's centers. (last year we didn't go far enough! Oh, it was snowing.)

Legs 6: We can hit the best bit of the Columbia Gorge when we leave. Probably should see Beacon Rock. Not a volcano, but BIG.

Leg 6 option: Want to run an extra 45 miles to get a closer look at Mt Adams?

Leg 7: Of course we have to ride around Mt Hood. I really like the challenge of Lolo Pass. It turns into gravel for a piece (2.5 miles) but the scenery is nice. We can finish up with a ride along the Historic Road and check out some waterfalls. Not volcanos, but BIG.

How 'bout some DETAILS?

Back Roads to Glacier

Ocean Views to Glacier

Skagit River Road is perdy.

I've never done Mountain Loop Highway, but it looks like fun and gets us close to Glacier.

Then a couple mountain passes on faster roads.

Yakima Canyon will offer up some nice curves and a bit of desert.

You've been here!

And I'd really like to take you HERE!!!

But this is a fair substitute.

Lolo Pass is a lot more gnarly than it looks.

There are even some good twists at the end of this proposed ride!

Don't forget to vote. :roll:

·
Registered
759 Posts
any route is fine with me....I have to leave it to you local guys for the best roads...best meaning, condition of road, scenery, twisties. I have some concern over the gravel road choice...is the gravel road hard packed gravel or super loose deep gravel???....if super loose...I would not like that...and vote against that section. 2.5 miles....umm...hmmm...QD is always picking 2.5 miles...hmmmmmmmm.....2.5 miles of super loose gravel may be a bit much for a group ride. Not all riders can handle that condition. Can this route or routes be accomplished in two days of riding?? Average speed of the roads I assume would be around 35 mph in the mountains.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
I can't comment on the southern portion of the ride,since I'm not familair,I'll trust your judgement on those.

You found a couple of roads right in my back yard, that I had forgotten about!
Be aware that if we ride along Lake Whatcom into Bellingham,it will take us right through a busy section of town.Also,along the lake one needs to watch the speed limits.

I once tried the road from Monte Cristo to Darrington,and part of it ,I think 17 miles, is gravel. I turned around less than a mile into it.
Might be better to cut over to Arlington,and down 9,although that's retty busy and straight from Lake Stevens south.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
I've got to agree w/Bob on the gravel issue, especially if Amy comes along - that's a show-stopper for her, and doesn't make me all warm and fuzzy for too long, either.

Jeff, maybe when you get back you could pre-ride the Darrington route and find out about the gravel issue so we can modify, if necessary?

(I'd offer, but my bike's still torn apart)

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I once tried the road from Monte Cristo to Darrington,and part of it ,I think 17 miles, is gravel. I turned around less than a mile into it.
Might be better to cut over to Arlington,and down 9,although that's retty busy and straight from Lake Stevens south.
I've got to agree w/Bob on the gravel issue, especially if Amy comes along - that's a show-stopper for her, and doesn't make me all warm and fuzzy for too long, either.
Jeff: I've never done Mountain Loop Hwy and was afraid it might be gravel considering it's remoteness. Go find us a nice route when you get home. I'm sure pre-tripping it won't bother you a bit. :p I'm all for staying safe and out of dense traffic when possible.

Bob: Lolo starts two lane, then one, then.... it was hard packed gravel last time I was on it, an easy 25 mph, but it does have some fairly steep elevation changes. We can run 26 back to Gresham and avoid it. Mike 5060 thought running out to the coast would be neat. there are some great twisty roads out that way, but for time/distance I didn't include them. If we shorten up some of the back road travel, we'd have time. Hwy 52 from Tillimook to 26 is roller-coaster.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Not sure if I can start from up north

I'm alreadykind of committed to starting down at Stonehenge with the ST1300 riders on the 22nd.

If you pick the 15th, that's the date for our annual Spring Fling gathering at Cafe Veloce.

I may have to pass unless you guys want to start from the south and head north.

Joe Zulaski

·
Registered
60 Posts
Looking good to me. Haven't been on most of the roads so will keep
quiet. I'm still getting used to my Wing so long deep gravel would
probably be a challenge, don't know if I could keep up with you long
timers. Snow, gravel, bring on the mud 8)

It might be fun to end up on the coast. Pretty much starts on the coast,
hits a lot of volcanos and ends on the coast.

If we did go to the coast from the Gorge I'd go I84, US26, then 6 to
Tillimook, US101 up rather than straight out 26, nicer ride and not
much longer.

Overnight at Yakima sounds good. There's even a KoA.

Hey, IB_Mike, you lurking out there?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Tillamook?

If you want to end at Tillamook, take 26 West but then cut off at the Wilson River Hwy (hwy 6). It'll take you on a much more motorcycle friendly (read twistier) route into Tillamook.

Tillamook's my home town, BTW.

Looks like you guys are going the opposite direction than I will be so, I guess I won't be seeing you. Unless it's as we pass each other around Windy Ridge. ;-)

Have fun.

Joe Zulaski

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey, IB_Mike, you lurking out there?
I haven't heard from him for a week or so. I hope he's just busy and not cut off from the internet. :p

Say Mike, I like the idea of start and end on the coast too. Depends on how much time we can shave of the northern routes, I sure like OR 53 from Tillimook to Hwy 26 :D 47 is another good one.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Quickdraw...you have an exact mileage on the gravel part???? I recently did a ride in "back country" and the four riders with me turned around when they saw hard pack dirt and gravel. They were all for it in talk..but when it came time to do the walk...they chickened out. We all have different capabilities and it seems that gravel will turn most around. Just a thought.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Joe, don't give up hope yet, maybe we'll do something that partly overlaps
yet.

Get it nailed down and then we can work out north-to-south or
south-to-north.

Last 1/2 of May looks to have a lot of miles in it :D

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quickdraw...you have an exact mileage on the gravel part????
Come on Bob - it's only 2.5 miles just like everything else on this ride :D :D :D

Truth is I don't know (20miles max? probably 10), but I took some newbies on it a couple years ago and nobody chickened out or crashed, until the last turn back into the campground from ASPHALT. She forgot to look where she was going.

I'm not set on that route. 26 is fine. We can double back to hit the falls it we want, or hit the coast.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Gravel section on Lo Lo

Checked the Lo Lo Pass road, gravel part with DeLorme, it's about
13 miles. 'Course DeLorme's database says it doesn't actually
connect somewhere in the middle, misses by about 50 feet. And you
can't add a routable road to connect two gravel roads... :roll:

I'd be willing to run that road a week or so earlier to see what shape
it's in. Running down US 26 from Government Camp into Portland is
ugly, I'd rather go back up SR 35 to I84, but we shall see.

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'd be willing to run that road a week or so earlier to see what shape it's in.
That would be cool Mike! I pre-tripped our route last year. Gawd, the extra work we go to :p

Maybe Jeff can check out the Mountain Loop Road up north to see how passable it is. I don't mind a good gravel road just for the scenery!, but hesitate when it turns to deep sand.

I'll be on the phone with the Rangers, or pre-trippin', before the run to see if the Rainier and Windy Ridge are open. They are usually not open until late May/early June, but we can HOPE!!! The way the weather is this week they might open early.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yeah, don't count on it, forcast for next Saturday (21st) is rain mixed with
snow :( . Darn near got blown off the mountain coming home from work
today, musta been 50-60 mph, twisties in the dark with gusty wind does
keep you focused.

Working on some alternative to Lo Lo other than down 26 to Portland,
I really don't like it after Sandy...and it takes forever.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Maybe Jeff can check out the Mountain Loop Road up north to see how passable it is.
When I get home,I'll make the sacrifice and go check out the road.
I'm not very optimistic though, I turned around less than a mile into the gravel portion of it last time I was there.

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I turned around less than a mile into the gravel portion of it last time I was there.
At least go all the way through this time so you can tell us how far and how bad it is. :p

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Quickdraw said:
I turned around less than a mile into the gravel portion of it last time I was there.
At least go all the way through this time so you can tell us how far and how bad it is. :p
I bet I can guess how far it is... :lol:

1 - 20 of 61 Posts