GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a thread already on New Mexico info and part of my trip this spring will be into northwest Texas. We will go through Big Bend NP. What else can we see in that area? We will start in Amarillo, south to Big Bend, up to Carlsbad NM, all through NM back to Tucumcari and Amirillo? Thanks

·
Registered
221 Posts
You should repost this question in the Texas Sub Forum :cool:

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Lost Member
150 Posts
When you are in Amarillo you should drive out to see Palo Duro Canyon State Park. We have a group of wingers around here that love to ride all around the panhandle.
There may even be some that would ride to Big Bend with you if they have the time. I may have a chance to go with a neighbor in March if all works out. Be prepared for some windy riding, for it is that time of year here.

Jeff

·
Registered
569 Posts
About all there is to see in Tucumcari, which was originally called six gun siding, is the "mountain" which is the most noticeable landmark in the area after you come down off the cap rock, and there is Conchas dam, other than that its ocatilla and dirt. Historically its the land of Billy the Kid, Black Jack Ketchum and numerous indian battles. Check out the Trading Post which is on the site of a wagon train massacre.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Not much between Palo Duro and Big Bend but miles and miles of Texas. Between Carlsbad and Carlsbad Caverns take Dark Canyon Road to the north and go by Sitting Bull Falls. It's really a waterfall in the middle of the desert Guadalupe Mountians. If you stay in Tucumcari, check out the Blue Swallow Motel. It's probably as original as it was during the hey day of Route 66. It will be booked up Memorial Day by a bunch of Valkyrie riders. Keep us posted of your timing, might be able to join up for a day or so.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Here are a few places of interest around Big Bend-

Riding: Be sure and ride the river road, Hwy 170 between Terlingua and Presidio.

Accomodations: The Gage Hotel in Marathon www.gagehotel.com If you decide to stay there I recommend getting a room in the Historic Hotel building. Be sure and ask for a room with a private bath!

Mcdonald Observatory outside Ft Davis. If you can be there at night and on certain days they have "Star Parties". Check with them for times http://mcdonaldobservatory.org/visitors/programs/

While in Ft Davis the Hotel Limpia dining room is an interesting place to have dinner http://www.fortdavis.com/restaurants.html

Other points of interest:
Marfa Lights, on highway 90 just east of Marfa.
Hotel Paisano in Ft Davis http://www.hotelpaisano.com/
Terlingua Ghost Town

Hope this helps!

R

·
0 Posts
When you are in Amarillo you should drive out to see Palo Duro Canyon State Park. We have a group of wingers around here that love to ride all around the panhandle.
There may even be some that would ride to Big Bend with you if they have the time. I may have a chance to go with a neighbor in March if all works out. Be prepared for some windy riding, for it is that time of year here.

Jeff
Yeap. I lived in Amarillo for a few years. The canyons the place to see.

·
Love The DCT
12,001 Posts
I have a thread already on New Mexico info and part of my trip this spring will be into northwest Texas. We will go through Big Bend NP. What else can we see in that area? We will start in Amarillo, south to Big Bend, up to Carlsbad NM, all through NM back to Tucumcari and Amirillo? Thanks
Maybe Fred H. will chime in. I believe he has ridden quite a bit in the Big Bend area.

·
Registered
647 Posts
In Alpine the Buffalo Rose Salon has great food (it's across the street from the Best Western Motel on the east side of town on Hwy 90).

We always stay at The Chisos Mining Co. Motel in Terlingua:

Chisos Mining Co. Motel

and spend one dinner / evening at the Lakiva Resturant / Bar (very unique and in walking distance from Chisos Mining Co. Motel):

http://www.lakiva.net/

We usually try to eat breakfast (1st choice) or lunch in Presidio at:

El Patio Restaurant It's on the main drag down town (great food and service.

Have done the Big Bend ride the last 5 springs. Last two years we've had 11 bikes ride down from DFW. The loop around the McDonald Observatory is a great ride also.

Have a fun and safe ride!

ki-speed (mark)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts