·
Registered
19,312 Posts
I wish this were a National AD

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
What a great video...

I think we all need to write a quick note to Nancy Naples and let her know how much we appreciate it....

Nancy A. Naples
Commissioner
Department of Motor Vehicles
6 Empire State Plaza
Albany, NY 12228

They also have an on-line form to submit comments

HERE

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Living here in NY, I've seen that commercial on TV a few times. But... I've got 1 BIG problem with it.

In the 2 previous (albeit, very short) shots down the road before the driver begins his turn... there is NO motorcycle in the picture!

A non-riding friend of mine pointed this out to me, and I had looked close during the TV commercials... but now with this video clip, I can verify it.

The curve is at least 2-3 houses down the road... and there is no motorcycle on that road prior to the car beginning it's turn.

Which means... as my friend said... that the motorcycle would have had to have been speeding around the curve so fast that he was unable to stop or avoid the car that's nearly 1/4 mile away from him!!!

To see for yourself, stop the replay during the 2nd camera shot down the road, right as the car is beginning the turn. There's no bike coming. Now stop the replay right before impact, as the camera is looking out the passenger side window. Look how much road is behind that bike. Considering that the bike was not there prior to the begnning of the turn... the bike should have have plenty of time to see & avoid at legal speed.

So while I agree that the message is a good one... before I'd ask that it goes national, I'd like to see it made more accurate.

Just my 2-cents.
Tom

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Must be they show it in NYC, I have not seen that commercial on TV around here, or maybe I don't watch enough TV :wink:

W

·
0 Posts
NICE.......now if all states would add something like this in their driving license testing to make the young people aware of cycles.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
I don't know, from the last time we got a look down the road till the impact was about 7 seconds. You can travel pretty far at 35mph in 7 seconds. Seems like it could be pretty accurate.

I Like it. Good commercial...

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I wander how much the motorcycle rider got paid.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts