GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well... spent the morning at the NYC motorcyle show.

Got there early, and had the place 'relatively' to myself. So my first stop was over to the Honda display to see the new "Fury". It actually doesn't look that bad, especially in the color schemes they had. I sat on it, and had to admit that it 'felt' good. I like the long pullbacks for the handlebars.

Of course, there were plenty of other bikes there too... including the "new blue" Gold Wing.

One interesting thing that I took note of was the absence of the HRCA folks. They had no presence there at all... and in fact, the only mention of HRCA was some printing on one of the display panels behind the kiddie dirt bikes. No sign-up/renewal booth... no freebie pins... nothing.

Even the AMA had a very small sign-up spot in the far left rear corner of the convention center, along with a larger display for the Motorcycle Museum.

Victory had their usual large display, and I swung my leg over a few of those. Same thing for the BWM boys... and I really think I may have to invest in an R1200 GS at some point for some dual-sport / off-road riding.

The other main companies had large displays also... and althought they have good product, nothing they have really interests me that much.

I said hello to Brian & Shira from Backroads magazine... and although I saw John from J&M, he was busy dealing with other folks, and I didn't want to interupt. I did manage to speak with one of his other people though, and they've got the Bluetooth headsets ready for the Gold Wing now. We talked about the items I'd need to go with my existing J&M products (I've got their headsets & GL1800 integration kit) to "cut the cord"... and of course, what it's going to cost me to do so. Although they weren't selling directly at the show, their rep gave me lots of good info that I needed.

I didn't get out of there unscathed though... my AmEx card took a spanking, as I went ahead and invested in a No-Mar tire changer. I'd been thinking about it for awhile, and after getting them to throw in a few extra goodies/tools for free (in lieu of a show-special price)... went ahead and pulled the trigger.

All in all was a pretty decent show... but still heavily geared towards the "biker" and "sport-rider" aspects of the riding community.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Tom

We had or show in DC last week and it appears the financial crisis has hit the MC vendor world hard. I guess its the sign of the times for awhile. Anyway, how much did the Nomar tire changer set you back??

Joe

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
You won't be sorry with the No-Mar. It is really a quality piece of equipment. I "fought" with the Harbor Freight for a few years, then bought the No-Mar. Wish I had done it sooner. It almost makes tire changing fun. Notice I said "almost." :congrats:

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
I'm surprised that these shows go on with the economy the way it is.

We're having a boat show coming up in Milwaukee, and I just think there'll have a rough time selling a 30'-40' boat today.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tom

We had or show in DC last week and it appears the financial crisis has hit the MC vendor world hard. I guess its the sign of the times for awhile. Anyway, how much did the Nomar tire changer set you back??

Joe
I'm still here at work... on my final break of the night.

While I stated that I had the area 'relatively' to myself early... the place really filled up by the time I left a little after noon. You could hardly move in the vendor areas, and attendees were lined up 4 & 5 deep to sit on many of the display bikes. So all in all, if the 3+ hours I was there is any indication... I expect the NYC show will be a pretty good stop for them.

In re the No-Mar, the Jr-Pro model by itself is $795. I ended up getting the Jr-Pro package... which is $995, and includes a few extra goodies like the wheel balancer, spoon bars, floor mount kit, etc. And since they weren't able to bring their trailer on premises (and thus, unable to bring actual products to sell), the "show special" was free shipping. When we got around to discussing that, amoung other tires, I would be changing Gold Wing tires... we discussed some of the suggested tools & accessories that would make the job easier. And after of bit of haggling over trading this tool in the package for that... we finally agreed on the full advertised Jr-Pro package, with them comping me a couple of extra longer spoon bars & a Rim Clamp Set for free.

And since they had no product on site to sell, it became an internet order... and as such, there was no tax.

So now, if I break the wheel transponders for my SmartTire system... I'll only have myself to blame. :shock:

·
Registered
660 Posts
Hmmmmmm Now that I know someone relatively local with a setup to change tires, maybe I could take a ride to Melville for new shoes......:bow::bow::bow::bow::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
20,670 Posts
interesting thread Radar !

the Nomar changer is expensive but once u get past that i think u will like it

sometimes i wonder if Honda might just drop HRCA

1 - 8 of 8 Posts