GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
If you are new to MOPs, my guess is you will really enjoy them. I do.

·
Registered
942 Posts

I was fortunate to get their first pair ion the ‘18 at wing Ding last year
Love them

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
115 Posts
Got mine just before our 3000 mile trip to Glacier National Park this summer. Made the trip sooo much more comfortable...

Reactions: RickLB

·
Registered
560 Posts
I was fortunate to get their first pair ion the ‘18 at wing Ding last year.
Supposedly I got my MOP's out of that first run for Wing Ding as well. Comparing the finish of yours to the finish of mine, seems like your finish was much better ?? When I received these it was obvious the finish was not as nice as the MOP's I had on my F6B. You can see on the MOP arm a couple streaks where the black anodizing has faded over the months since new.

Note that I mounted the left hand arm which is 1-1/2 inches shorter on the right side so I would have more room to get my size 14 boot on & off the rear brake without the MOP interfering. I shortened the longer right hand arm by 3 inches and mounted it on the left side of the bike. The overall objective was to move the MOP pegs forward 1-1/2 inches from stock so I could get on & off the rear brake and not snag my pant legs when going from the stock rider pegs to the ground.

I have a 34 inch inseam and it was really spooky rolling up to a stop and not being able to plant your foot on the ground because your pant leg is caught on the MOP.

Attachments

·
Registered
560 Posts
man, im glad they work for you because they DO NOT belong on that beautiful work of art.
I don't have much of a choice if I want to do 10 hour days comfortably. With my long legs (34 inch inseam) the MOP's that I modified extensively, are the only way for me to stretch my feet out and down.

Top Photo: When I'm on the stock Honda pegs my knees are at or slightly above hip level placing a lot of body weight on my tailbone area. This starts to become uncomfortable after 45 minutes to an hour.

Bottom Photo: These pegs allow me to get my feet out further and down lower than any other option. This shifts more body weight to the back of my thighs. I really only need to stretch out for a couple minutes every now and then and I can ride all day.

Do I wish MOP had provided a product with a better finish? Of course. When I expressed some of my concerns with MOP there response was a non-response.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I don't have much of a choice if I want to do 10 hour days comfortably. With my long legs (34 inch inseam) the MOP's that I modified extensively, are the only way for me to stretch my feet out and down.

Top Photo: When I'm on the stock Honda pegs my knees are at or slightly above hip level placing a lot of body weight on my tailbone area. This starts to become uncomfortable after 45 minutes to an hour.

Bottom Photo: These pegs allow me to get my feet out further and down lower than any other option. This shifts more body weight to the back of my thighs. I really only need to stretch out for a couple minutes every now and then and I can ride all day.

Do I wish MOP had provided a product with a better finish? Of course. When I expressed some of my concerns with MOP there response was a non-response.
yea, definitely didnt mean it as a jab to you. its on the company to improve their design, but if theyre selling....i understand why you need them and offerings have been weak from other companies because of the bike's design.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I don't have much of a choice if I want to do 10 hour days comfortably. With my long legs (34 inch inseam) the MOP's that I modified extensively, are the only way for me to stretch my feet out and down. .

Setting aside the quality, safety aspect, poor design and absence of customer service issues, I was absolutely dismayed to find my boot heels dragging on the pavement when I was going through the gentle sweepers on I-70 in Glenwood Canyon.

And I only have a 32 inch inseam!

You must have a huge budget to get re-shod after every ride?:laugh:

Do have to admit a vibrating boot is a guaranteed wake-up call:surprise:

My National Cycle comfort bars/RIVCO pegs let me stretch out without the drama:wink2:

·
Registered
942 Posts
Mine have worn some and their response was normal wear and tear.

I have artificial knee and hard to get my leg up higher on most pegs which by the way is why these were invented anyway.

A friend put black handlebar grips on his and they look great
I’m trying that next

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
560 Posts
Mine have worn some and their response was normal wear and tear.
I had a set of MOP's on my 2013 F6B for 5 years 48,000 miles. They looked brand new except for minor wear on the pegs which is to be expected.

This is not consistent with MOP's claim of "Normal Wear & Tear".

·
Registered
225 Posts
Have any of you had the MoPs on older bikes that the '18? I had them on my '13 and loved them. Do they ride/feel the same?

·
Registered
560 Posts
Have any of you had the MoPs on older bikes that the '18? I had them on my '13 and loved them. Do they ride/feel the same?
MOP's for the 18+ are similar to the MOP model KA, KB, KD & KL for the earlier models. The KA were for people with the longest legs (pegs extended lower & fruther forward). KD did not extend as far as the KA and so on. So there were four different versions depending on your inseam.

They advertise the 18+ as universal for all riders. The set I received were somewhere between the KD & KL as far as leg extension. So if you have a short to average inseam the 18+ MOP's are likely to work just fine for you.

I had KA's on my 2013 F6B (max extension) and had to modify my 18+ MOP's extensively to get a similar extension compared to the KA's I had.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I installed the MOP on my 2018 DCT....I love them and had them on my 2010....here is what I perceive as an issue with the MOP on the 2018 then compared with my 2010 model....the pegs can not be adjusted high enough such that your boots do not touch the ground on a very short slow moving curve keep in mine I am only 5'6" tall....the second thing which I need to call MOP company is that the black anodized pegs fade within 6 months time...my came dark black and are now light black to gray color...faded poorly in the sun (20,000 miles on them)... I am looking at the design right now to see how it can be modified to raise the pegs so your feet don't drag...if I come up with something will let the forum know....I still love them and would recommend then....

·
Registered
16,985 Posts
Mine do not work as well as the ones I had on the 2002. I have to be careful to not let the mounting blocks lift the bike off the pavement in a sharp curve. That may be a function of my current lack of Traxxion suspension.

If I become unhappy with the black finish I will powder coat the arms, that is easy to do. Krylon is easy too.

prs

·
Registered
942 Posts
I installed the MOP on my 2018 DCT....I love them and had them on my 2010....here is what I perceive as an issue with the MOP on the 2018 then compared with my 2010 model....the pegs can not be adjusted high enough such that your boots do not touch the ground on a very short slow moving curve keep in mine I am only 5'6" tall....the second thing which I need to call MOP company is that the black anodized pegs fade within 6 months time...my came dark black and are now light black to gray color...faded poorly in the sun (20,000 miles on them)... I am looking at the design right now to see how it can be modified to raise the pegs so your feet don't drag...if I come up with something will let the forum know....I still love them and would recommend then....

Mine faded as well

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I talked with the MOP company, they are aware of the black fading...do not have a solution yet...

·
Registered
560 Posts
I talked with the MOP company, they are aware of the black fading...do not have a solution yet...
There is "Black Anodized" and then there is "Black Hard Anodized" and there is a big difference between the two. "Black Hard Anodized" is a far more durable finish.

I assumed the MOP's on my 2013 F6B were "Black Hard Anodized" because the finish held up exceptionally well over 5 years and 45,000 miles.

IMO the above response from MOP is code for "Go Away". For those of us experiencing fading there is no fix short of replacing them. MOP is a small company and I understand probably can't afford that.

The solution for MOP going forward is simple: In the future send your parts to a competent and reliable anodizing firm and have them apply a "Black Hard Anodized" finish.

The fact that my 2018 MOP's are fading does not upset me nearly as much as the fact that MOP just won't admit there was a problem and they know how to fix it going forward.

And If by chance they haven't figured out how to fix the problem going forward, then they have a much bigger problems. It isn't rocket science.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Setting aside the quality, safety aspect, poor design and absence of customer service issues, I was absolutely dismayed to find my boot heels dragging on the pavement when I was going through the gentle sweepers on I-70 in Glenwood Canyon.

And I only have a 32 inch inseam!

You must have a huge budget to get re-shod after every ride?:laugh:

Do have to admit a vibrating boot is a guaranteed wake-up call:surprise:

My National Cycle comfort bars/RIVCO pegs let me stretch out without the drama:wink2:
From the MOP website Home Page:

The original Spring-loaded motorcycle highway pegs
that automatically retract up FOR TURNS.

* Stretch your legs without straddling the fairing *
* Less Back/Hip/Leg & Knee discomfort *
* More long-distance comfort *

1 - 20 of 31 Posts