GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had to share this because it was so cool.

Last week I was out on the ocean fishing... unbelievable weather for December! There were thousands and thousands of seagulls everywhere diving into the water to catch the bait fish that the huge schools of striped bass were scaring up from below. I was out with a buddy and his dog... a very cool Shiba Inu named Yoko. So, I cast my line out as usual and a seagull flies into the line and becomes entangled. Not in the hook, thank God, just in the line. I "reeled" it in and got it to the boat. It was quite freaked out at first until I picked it up in my hand and untangled it, then it calmed right down. Of course, I had a camera with me, so I thought it a good photo opportunity. I also have a video of me releasing the bird, but the file is too big to post it on-line right now. Here's the pics. Yoko was quite curious about this bird. My favorite is the last one where we're all looking right at each other. Imagine the stories this bird will tell its friends! :)

Oh, to qualify this... I did ride my bike to the marina. Same place as in my signature picture below.

UPDATED with video December 21, 2006

I've had a few requests to see the video of releasing this bird, so here's a link to it. (below)

It doesn't look like the bird flew too far in the video, but we watched him, and he seemed to be "checking himself out" for a bit, then he flew off none the worse to join his buddies.

I swear, I think this bird knew I was trying to help him when I got him to the boat. I'm just glad that he didn't associate the fact that it was my line he was tangled in or it may have been a different story. Steve Irwin would be proud of me!

Here's the clip: 24 megabyte AVI file So you dial-upers may have trouble downloading it.
http://www.floydweb.com/video/seagullrelease.AVI

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Your a good man, Charlie Brown.

<------Thanks you.

:D

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Here in Michigan they are known as "flying rats". Neat pictures!!!

W

·
0 Posts
soloquest...Great pics and I know what that's like.
One year in a Coho Derby on Lake Michigan we hooked a gull, with
lots of excitement for a while because our triple hook caught on his wing.
We finally reeled it in the boat, put my jacket over the surprised bird, unhooked and released it.
Believe it or not we only got 2 Coho that day, but lots of entertainment while fishing.
When we got back to the dock, nobody believed us and nobody thought of taking a picture like you did.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
:shock:

Floyd,
Ya Green Peace member and future PETA subversive!!! :wink: :lol:

·
15 year Member
6,867 Posts
Floyd,

How do those things taste?? Did you BBQ it or roast?

It looks delicious~~

Matt(Ashland,MA) :shock: :shock: :chicken: :shock: :shock:

·
Registered
408 Posts
The window of my office overlooks a roof area. Every year a pair of gulls nest on the roof nearby. Its fun waiting for the eggs to hatch (always on the 4th of July, 3 years running) and watch the babies grow up and do their flight training. Lots of hopping and flapping but not much action until they get it all coordinated.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Great shots. I like the last one best too.

Dep

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Matt(Ashland said:
Floyd,

How do those things taste?? Did you BBQ it or roast?

It looks delicious~~

Matt(Ashland,MA) :shock: :shock: :chicken: :shock: :shock:
He probably roasted it Matt.
I wouldn't eat it.
and I'll bet the bird wouldn't eat it either. :lol: :lol:
DC

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
The way your holding it you 've got a friend for life :oops:

·
Registered
362 Posts
I also think that the last pic is the best. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Floyd, great pics! Tim

·
Registered
615 Posts
Floyd, you were probably singing her a lullabye. Great pics. Joy

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've had a few requests to see the video of releasing this bird, so here's a link to it. (below)

It doesn't look like the bird flew too far in the video, but we watched him, and he seemed to be "checking himself out" for a bit, then he flew off none the worse to join his buddies.

I swear, I think this bird knew I was trying to help him when I got him to the boat. I'm just glad that he didn't associate the fact that it was my line he was tangled in or it may have been a different story. Steve Irwin would be proud of me! :lol:

Here's the clip: 24 megabyte AVI file So you dial-upers may have trouble downloading it.:cry:
http://www.floydweb.com/video/seagullrelease.AVI

·
Registered
19,049 Posts
nice shots- great color 8)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts