GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've about reached my limit with Windows. My hotmail account, that I use for most anything public, is giving me the window shown below. It says that my browser (IE6) is blocking cookies, and won't load. I never changed any settings that would cause that window to show up. The settings are the same as my other two puters, and they both load hotmail. Firefox also loads hotmail, but I'm not used to that browser yet, and don't want to switch until I get the hang of it. Any ideas?

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
This is typical of how unstable the MS software is. I'm with you in that my next computer may indeed be a Mac.

As for FireFox, just use it. You will find that it is very similar to IE and once you use the tab feature you will never go back. I now use FireFox exclusively except for a couple of sites that don't support it. FireFox just seems to be better in every way.

The only thing stopping me from crossing over to a Mac is cost.

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
Go to Tools > Options > Privacy tab. It probably says "Custom" or "Block All Cookies." There should be a "Default Button" there. Click that and it would put your settings to "Medium. Then delete all temporary internet files: Tools > Options > General - there will be a button on that page. If you close and restart IE then hopefully it will work.

There is also IE 7 which came out recently. It's worth a download. I like it. 8)

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
Once you go Mac, you'll never go back. I started on a Mac, was brought to the dark side in 1996 and last year bought a new iMac. I just bought a new MacBook in November and am running Parrallels to run Windows XP next to the Mac OS. It is AWESOME! The best of both worlds.

·
Registered
5,943 Posts
Either switch to IE7 or get used to Firefox 2.0. You should not be using IE6 in any case.
Once you get used to Firefox, you'll never worry about IE again.
Try it you'll like it.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Down load IE7 like everyone else has stated. You really shouldn't be using IE6. I used to use Mac's but for the last few years I have used XP without major problems. It is what ever you are most happy using.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I didn't think I would like XP, but I've been using it for a couple years, and I DO like it. The other desktop has win98 on it, but it's not used much. I'm downloading IE7 right now.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Andy Pearson said:
I'm looking hard at Mac also. But I have a lot of Windows programs that will need to be supported.

Andy
Intel MacPro will support them. My new laptop will be the Mac Pro Intel base. I have a G4 iMac running 10.4, as well as a couple of PC's. (Server 03 & XP Pro) I'm really looking forward to the new laptop.

·
15 year Member
6,930 Posts
Lucky Phil said:
I've about reached my limit with Windows. My hotmail account, that I use for most anything public, is giving me the window shown below. It says that my browser (IE6) is blocking cookies, and won't load. I never changed any settings that would cause that window to show up. The settings are the same as my other two puters, and they both load hotmail. Firefox also loads hotmail, but I'm not used to that browser yet, and don't want to switch until I get the hang of it. Any ideas?

Check your antivirus settings.....

Matt(Ashland,MA)

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
Firefox 2.0 , use it , like it .

I should go see if my Mac computer will fire up. What am I saying? It always boots right up

·
Registered
461 Posts
Try Mac, don't think you will like it. I worked with Mac for six years, 8 hours a day, after going to a PC and learning it pretty thoroughly, I don't believe you could give me a Mac. Then maybe they have improved Mac's 200 % in the last few years.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
I have always had Macs and just do not know how to use the complexity of the other world.

We have a friend on the board that is an Engineer in Intel and knows the Mac side better than anyone I know. Hope he has time to come on here. He is always a help.

He has me breathing hard for a new Mac Lap Top so I can run everything on one puter. My PCs break often and always at the wrong time. My 10 year old Mac is finally becoming a little outdated because it is only 450 MHz clock speed.

It still amazes my kids when they see it process photos or other processor intensive operations.

It has run 24 hours a day for 10 years. Finally had to replace the hard drives last month. Loaded Tiger while I was at it. Felt like it loaded itself.

My friend at Intel showed me some tricks like starting with the option key down. Had three options to boot up when the hard drive crashed. Did not lose a single piece of data.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I would expect many Goldwing owners would also use Macs:

Why?

Simple - Goldwing owners want the best! 8)

B

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
Now if Honda would include Bluetooth into the Navi so all I would have to do is set my Macbook on the seat and program my routes from MapSource. Oh wait, that's just crazy talk!

·
Registered
20,009 Posts
I don't understand how an incorrect setting can be perceived as instability. Yes, some of the flexibility in security settings can cause some grief, but not knowing how to use the software is not a good reason to abandon the entire format.

While I am certainly not a Microsoft fan, I am even less a supporter of Apple. They had a good system but they sliced their own throats (and market share) with their own greed by holding everything as proprietary. Even though they have finally figured out their mistake and opened things up a little, they still haven't completely accepted the more open way of doing things and I don't expect they ever will.

Ironically the more open hardware and software standard that PC users love so much is also the cause of many of the problems. It requires the knowledge of hundreds and hundreds of settings that are sometimes needed to get everything working properly. Windows XP is an awesome, stable operating system compared to its predecessors. Security is something that I grant you is something that Microsoft is still completely inept at, despite their claims to the contrary. They continue to introduce new features with total disregard to the security ramifications.

I don't care for Internet Explorer either. That is the beauty of the PC. I don't have to use it if I don't want to.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Mac may have held everything a secret, but that also could be why you don't find many MAC viruses....

·
Registered
20,009 Posts
Rinkopr said:
Mac may have held everything a secret, but that also could be why you don't find many MAC viruses....
I agree to a point and acknowledged that. But keep in mind that virus writers typically want their desctruction to spread as wide as possible. Knowing that, if you were writing a virus would you write one that at maximum could only affect 4.8% of all users? Heck no! Mac users are primarily protected by the products lack of market share. Even the bad guys won't waste their time with a Mac. :lol:

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
LarryM said:
Rinkopr said:
I agree to a point and acknowledged that. But keep in mind that virus writers typically want their desctruction to spread as wide as possible. Knowing that, if you were writing a virus would you write one that at maximum could only affect 4.8% of all users? Heck no! Mac users are primarily protected by the products lack of market share. Even the bad guys won't waste their time with a Mac. :lol:
The bad guys don't waste thier time on Macs because it is a religious thing. Mac is the anti-establishment and therefore is an verboden target..

BTW: MacOS has never been any more "secret" than Windows, it's the hardware that was propriatary.. OS10 is BSD UNIX under the skin... If you like the OS10 interface, have a look at Vista and Office 2007, it looks exactly the same.. :roll:

Bottom line, if you're a home user, and are unsure, give a MacMini a try.. Can't go wrong for $600 and it's a sweet little machine right outt'a the box.. Use your existing PC monitor, keybpoard and mouse!!! The beauty is that it comes with almost every piece of software that a home user would want!

If you outgrow it or find it's not for you, sell it!! They retain a lot more residual value than a PC and there's a market for them!!

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I've been an evangelist for Macs for about 15 years or so. While I was in the USAF I had to use PC's so I learned the dark side also. There are pro's and con's to using a Mac vs. a wintel machine.

Pros:

--it just works! Install a program, connect a hardware device, whatever you want to do, IT JUST WORKS! It's true Plug N Play!

-- It's dependable. The OS and hardware are designed for each other and are controlled to ensure they work well together. This point is viewed as a con by people on the dark side as if the Mac would be better if it had the same quality control issues found on some PC's and hardware add-on's.

-- When you get a PC that has the same features as a Mac, you end up paying close to the same, if not more.

-- When you run the Mac OS, you're previewing the Windows OS that will ship in the next 5 years. Microsoft doesn't innovate, they immitate!

CONS:
-- They now ship with Intel Dual Core high speed processors so you can boot into windows with Apples Boot Camp, or you can run windows with other software called Parallels (sp?) This will expose you to all the viruses and bug filled crappy software from the wintel side.

-- Many dark siders say "you can't get all the great games for the Mac" Hey.. here's a thought... you wanna play games? Get a Playstation or a Wii.

-- I don't get to repair the registry every couple of weeks because OS X doesn't use them, so I have to find other things to do.

The bottom line is: whatever meets your needs is the platform for you. But why would someone not want the dependablity and user interface of a Mac now that they are Intel Inside and run XP just as well (better actually) than a Wintel box.

I will be buying a new MacPro Desktop as soon as I stop buying stuff for the wing.

Matt Caswell

1 - 20 of 47 Posts