GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The old Toshiba laptop (using Win98) that I use for my map program while travelling on the wing, has come up with an unusual problem. If I hit the a or i key, it types 'ia'. When I hit enter, it gives me a backslash \ on the next line. I can't figure out what made it do that. I've tried different combinations of keys thinking maybe something would correct it, but no luck yet.

I'd like to get this one going again, as I'd rather not take my new Compaq with me (if I lose/have stolen this one, it's not worth much).

BTW, the new Compaq is a 1.6ghz with AMD Turion chip. When I right click on my puter, it sometimes shows 787Mhz, sometimes 1.58Ghz, sometimes 1.79Ghz. ?? I thought my chip was bad, but I got my GF the identical laptop, and hers does it also. Is this because of the Turion chip?

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
Sounds like the keybooard has a problem. May be caused by something like dust under some of the keys. Try a can of compressed air and see if blowing it out helps. Or the keyboard could be just worn out or broken. Probably can be replaced, but may not be worth the service charge if you can't do it yourself. If it is more than a few years old, it could be hard to find a new one.

As to the speed, laptops have the ability to run the chip at different speeds especially if it is running on batteries rather than plugged in. It should run at full speed while plugged in and should run at reduced speed when on batteries. The other thing that may be a factor is heat. Since laptops don't have a very big fan, or may not have one at all, the computer may throttle down the operating speed when heat builds up. The chip generates much more heat running at full speed than it does running at half speed. JMHO

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies, guys. Sounds like it will go on ebay for parts for someone. It's a really slow machine, and I just used it for the gps and few games. Will have to start carrying the new machine. Now, I get the reason for the different speeds. First time I'd seen that.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Keyboards can be surprisingly inexpensive.. Check with Toshiba parts and you may find it's only $35 or so!!!

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
tomfranken said:
It also might be you've managed to remap a couple of keys. If the laptop has a plug for an external keyboard, plug one in. If the external keyboard has the problem, it's a mapping issue.
If it was remapped, how do I go about un-remapping it? I have a Gateway programmable keyboard on my main puter, and when it gets screwed up, all I have to do is a simple remap procedure...but, of course, the Toshiba doesn't have that capability. :?:

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
If it's not a physical issue like a bad or broken keyboard. You could try to reinstall the keyboard drive.
Open the device manager (System shortcut in the control panel) and find
the keyboard line. Click on the plus sign to expand it. Right click on
the “Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard” line and
click on un-install the driver. After you reboot the laptop, Windows
will reinstall the driver automatically.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Arn Butt Bill said:
If it's not a physical issue like a bad or broken keyboard. You could try to reinstall the keyboard drive.
Open the device manager (System shortcut in the control panel) and find
the keyboard line. Click on the plus sign to expand it. Right click on
the “Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard” line and
click on un-install the driver. After you reboot the laptop, Windows
will reinstall the driver automatically.
Thanks for the info, Bill. I found two new kb's on ebay for $18, but figured the laptop wasn't worth the hassle. It's now up to $35 on ebay, but I will check the control panel and see if that helps. If it does, I'll add it to my post on ebay. Should make the bids jump to $37. :lol:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts