GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are some expert computer types on this board so I thought I'd see if ya'll can give me some advice relative to the following problem:

My college daughter's Sony laptop computer "died". Since it was still in warranty, I sent it back to Sony for repair. Tonight, they called and said that because they found traces of "liquid" in the laptop the estimated cost to repair was over $2300. Therefore, they were just sending the dead laptop back to me. (Frankly, it seems like they should/would have offered me a deal on a refurbished one or something rather than just sending it back.)

Although she says she didn't, I don't doubt that my daughter may have gotten something on/in the computer. However, I only paid $1250 for the computer new...so how could it cost almost 2 times to repair it? Also, is there some other option to try and get a laptop repaired at a more reasonable cost? (it's a "pink" laptop that is not available any more, plus I don't have an extra $1200+ laying around right now to purchase a new one.)

Any advice will be appreciated......oh, and to keep this motorcycle related, on occasion we use the laptop to plan our riding routes... :)

·
Registered
949 Posts
The cost of repairing the old one exceeding the price of a new one doesn't surprise me. I don't know about Sony, but Dell offers a warranty (extra cost of course) that covers the laptop if something gets spilled on it.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sony probably does too, but it's a little late now..... :cry:

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
Check the yellow pages for a local computer repair shop, they may be able to install a new motherboard and stuff in the "Pink" case.....

It's gonna be cheeper to buy a new one though....don't ask how I know. :cry:

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I've used company-issued Dell notebooks for close to a decade. I haven't had to "visit" with a tech very often, but they've never done anything but show up with parts and get me running again, whether it was my company computer or my personally owned unit.

One tech told me that he had repaired a notebook for a local police department that looked like it had been thrown across the room. He sent the broken pieces back to Dell, but the repair remained under warranty. When I partially ran over my computer one time :oops: :oops: :oops: I recalled this story, and put in a call to customer support. I described the symptoms and made no comment about the cause of the problems, and they asked no questions. Yep, warranty got me running again!

You can probably get a wnd generation Dell for $5-600 as a lease return, complete with the remaining on-site warranty that was purchased by the original leasee. Check on EBay - there are several companies that seem to deal exclusively in Dell lease returns. They're the ones who have thousands of good feedbacks and list the service tag number of the computer so you can go to dell.com and check the history of the unit including service calls and remaining warranty type and duration.

·
Registered
439 Posts
This is just a wild idea but someone in the computer lab where your daughter goes to school might take on the job for litttle more than parts .You also might find the same model on ebay . You could just move the parts need to her case . good luck .

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
GWRAT said:
Any advice will be appreciated......oh, and to keep this motorcycle related, on occasion we use the laptop to plan our riding routes... :)
My daughters Toshiba laptop backscreen light went out recently on a trip she was on. Talking to the techies at work, they said that if the monitor had to be replaced I might as well throw it away. I did a little investigating myself and found a parts shop on the internet that sold just the backlight for about fifty bucks, ordered and replaced the part. The laptop has worked great ever since.

The point is IF you can figure out exactly where the problem is, you may be able to fix it yourself or at least be able to talk reasonably with a local repair shop. Some local repair shops are interested in getting the work but will want to charge you about half the value of a refurbished notebook to repair yours.

·
Registered
20,014 Posts
GWRAT,
I see a lot of laptops with liquid damage and in every case, just like yours, the customer gets an estimate for the repairs. While there are some extended warranties that you can pay through the nose for that will cover damage, standard OEM warranties only cover failures due to defects. Liquid damage is not a defect.

Sometimes the boards may be repairable, but over the years techs have become gunshy in trying to attempt to do the customer a favor because if the repair does not hold up, they are married to it. The customer doesn't see it as a favor. Now, techs will almost universally just wash their hands of liquid damaged products. It isn't worth the potential headaches.

Once a board is liquid damaged, it can't be exchanged and remanufactured because computer circuit boards are actually many layers of boards. Liquid gets into the feed throughs and works its way in between the layers and slowly starts corroding the traces. There is no way to stop the corrosion from happening. This is why techs won't attempt repairs, because even if they fix the immediate problem, in a short time other problems will surface.

90% of all customers with liquid damage will swear on their mother's grave that liquid did not come anywhere near the product, but it came from somewhere.

·
Registered
977 Posts
What ever you do, avoid Dell completely. They must be about 100% staffed out of the country. Have had to call tech support several times and never got anyone that even remotely spoke English. Some kind of broken east Indian sh%$#. I even spoke with someone from the Philippians on tech support. You will stay on the line for hours. I recall that gateway has and add that states they have US based customer support. Shop around and buy from a local place that you can raise hell with when the thing needs help.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
LarryM said:
Now, techs will almost universally just wash their hands of liquid damaged products.
Just tell me, folks, that this sentence does not at least add a bit of a grin to your face?

Take the whole laptop apart, wash the board with distilled water ASAP, air dry. This is your only hope.

Cat urine is the worst form of liquid damage. Don't ask me how I know.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Jay Hoover said:
What ever you do, avoid Dell completely. They must be about 100% staffed out of the country. Have had to call tech support several times and never got anyone that even remotely spoke English. Some kind of broken east Indian sh%$#. I even spoke with someone from the Philippians on tech support. You will stay on the line for hours. I recall that gateway has and add that states they have US based customer support. Shop around and buy from a local place that you can raise hell with when the thing needs help.
I couldn't disagree more. Our company uses Dells, and anytime there has been a problem I call Dell support I connect right away, and get great service. We buy/sell the 4 hour support and it hasn't failed us yet. They are in and out with a great repair in 4 hours or less.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
rider1 said:
This is just a wild idea but someone in the computer lab where your daughter goes to school might take on the job for litttle more than parts .You also might find the same model on ebay . You could just move the parts need to her case . good luck .
Most likely the best bet!!

K7LVO is right, Dell has AWESOME service for thier corporate model laptops (Lattitudes).. For the $600 consumer laptops it's a $200 - $300 option to have the similar service.. Without the enhanced service you'll be talking to India and pulling every hair out of your head before you'll get the wrong answer!!

If you're in the market for new, try Lenovo (IBM) I've just switched our company standard to the X60 and T60 series and love them.. When evaluating I made it a point to call the consumer help lines for assistance and was REALLY impressed with the Atlanata based people on the lines!!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions. I actually have another Toshiba laptop she can use. I just wanted to try and get her "Pink" one fixed.

Has anyone tried any of the online laptop repair companies? I found a couple that, at least on their webpage, indicate they repair laptops for a lot less than what I was quoted.

Thanks again....

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Arn Butt Bill said:
splooged.
That is a scientific term, right Bill?

I checked on Dictionary.com for Splooge and was pleased with myself .... :twisted:

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
GWRAT said:
Thanks for all the suggestions. I actually have another Toshiba laptop she can use. I just wanted to try and get her "Pink" one fixed.
If there is data she needs to recover on the pink laptop's hard drive, get a 2.5" USB External Enclosure. Mount the hard drive into it and then access the data via the Toshiba's USB port.

The one I have was purchased at CompUSA and is marked SKU 306130 (Supports up to 120GB drives).

http://www.compusa.com/products/product ... ode=306130

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I've had essentially the same experience with DELL as Jay Hoover. I will never purchase another DELL product, based on their "customer support" or lack thereof. DELL has become the new GATEWAY computer company...another high volume, low support enterprise. YMMV however...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts