GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Obituaries board...

Here is a odd question….no I am not some sick’o or ghoul…but does this group / site have an Obits page to remember and honour the memory of fellow riders…that have passed away…a eulogy page to remember those that are no longer with us…a “Fallen Riders” page if you will. And if not….then I ask…..WHY….?

:-(

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Obituaries board...

Here is a odd question….no I am not some sick’o or ghoul…but does this group / site have an Obits page to remember and honour the memory of fellow riders…that have passed away…a eulogy page to remember those that are no longer with us…a “Fallen Riders” page if you will. And if not….then I ask…..WHY….?

Because it is kind of an unwritten rule among real bikers that death is just part of the equation and is never advertised....if they are friends you know about it without telling anyone else....

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
Because it is kind of an unwritten rule among real bikers that death is just part of the equation and is never advertised....if they are friends you know about it without telling anyone else....
You're kidding, right?

I (along with a lot of folks here who have lost friends) think it would be a great idea.

I dont know who wrote this "unwritten rule" you speak off, but I think it's utter nonsense. I'm sure S&W Winger and her many friends would agree.

How insensitive can you get. I suspect it's something you just made up yourself. :roll:

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
:agree: A few board members just in the past year have passed and they were positive contributors, which will be missed.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
You're kidding, right?

I (along with a lot of folks here who have lost friends) think it would be a great idea.

I dont know who wrote this "unwritten rule" you speak off, but I think it's utter nonsense. I'm sure S&W Winger and her many friends would agree.

How insensitive can you get. I suspect it's something you just made up yourself. :roll:
And here I thought I wasn't a 'real biker'.:joke:

I agree it might be a good idea just to keep the haters who don't like to hear about accidents, otherwise I think the general board is just fine.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So what your tell me is....forget about who ever...there gone..out of sight out of mind...? Thats just plain COLD...at least to me it is.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
How about if condolences and comments were made on the general board as they are now and when the flow of tributes passes it is transferred to a In Memory of Board by the admin. People could still see the initial posting and comment with out having to"check" the Memory board. Comments could still be added for those who didn't know.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
How about if condolences and comments were made on the general board as they are now and when the flow of tributes passes it is transferred to a In Memory of Board by the admin. People could still see the initial posting and comment with out having to"check" the Memory board. Comments could still be added for those who didn't know.
:agree:

·
Registered
855 Posts
In Memory of or Gone but not forgotten

> that is a really nice suggestion and one that I do hope is followed
through on; it'd be nice to be able to have photo's posted along
with some comments about their personality, likes, hobbies etc...

·
Banned
1,855 Posts
Obituaries board...

Excellent idea!!

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
and a death forum will do what?

I assume it is intended to keep the memory of fallen friends and comrades alive, especially for memberrs who knew them. An opportunity for their freinds in life to share stories and remembrances. Folks complain about "death threads" on the general forum.

What does a tombstone on a grave do? Marks and honors the life of the departed and gives solace to the bereived. We have so many other sub forums, why not. Surely as good an idea as a seperate forum for the 2012.

You wouldn't have to visit it if you didn't want.

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
I assume it is intended to keep the memory of fallen friends and comrades alive, especially for memberrs who knew them. An opportunity for their freinds in life to share stories and remembrances. Folks complain about "death threads" on the general forum.

What does a tombstone on a grave do? Marks and honors the life of the departed and gives solace to the bereived. We have so many other sub forums, why not. Surely as good an idea as a seperate forum for the 2012.

You are correct, You have changed my mind. I have no objections to a "death forum". I simply won't visit and if it removes the constant "m/c crash and died" thread than I'm all for it.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Obits

Thank you sir for your decency, and your suggestion. Tis a more common-sense and humane approach to this situation!

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
When they're here we have adventures with them. When they're gone all we have are memories. But they're memories of those adventures together.

·
Registered
4,974 Posts
Another forum I am a member of has an "In Memoriam" section. I have no problem with that whatsoever.

Those that knew the departed can share memories of times and miles spent together. And those that only knew then from their posts can get a little more insight as to who the person really was.

In addition, I think those type of threads help us to remember how fragile life really is, and just how quickly our sport/hobby can take your life away.

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
and a death forum will do what?
"Death" Forum...

Nice choice of words. I guess sort of like the Vietnam "Death" Wall, or the 911 "Death" Memorial. :shrug:

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Obituary forum seems a bit depressing.

A remenmberance wall might be the way to go. Kind of like the rememberence many members have in their sigs gor Jerry, Bev, and IRHarry.( sorry never cought his name but miss his insight).

Perhaps the way to go?

·
Registered
20,009 Posts
Real Bikers? Now I've heard everything. Exactly what is a real biker? I have heard many people on this board refer to this type of rider.

This might be a rule among outlaw biker gangs that have about as much compassion for human life as a brick. But that is not who we are here.

·
Registered
20,009 Posts
The only problem with a memorial page is that it has to be limited in some way. I would love to see someone like IR Harry memorialized here. (and there are many others.) But who do you limit it to, board members, Goldwing owners, any type of rider, family and close friends?

In a time of mourning, this could create some hard feelings if someone was excluded.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts