GL1800Riders Forums banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 ·
Real Bikers? Now I've heard everything. Exactly what is a real biker? I have heard many people on this board refer to this type of rider.

This might be a rule among outlaw biker gangs that have about as much compassion for human life as a brick. But that is not who we are here.
If that is what a "real biker" is...then I do not want to be one...! And while we are at it...what the hell is this real biker crap all about...as in real biker..as in gang...." you toucha my bike I breaka U face ". Is that the sort of real biker your refering to...? Guess I will never be a real biker then...I don't own a Harley...and I don't dress like..and look like a thug on a bike.

In many ways...we are a brotherhood, and that we all share one main interest, and that's our bikes and to ride. What wrong with showing compassion for those that are no longer with us anymore...? I for one would like to be remembered when I go...I would feel sad that my whole life and all I was...and everything I did in this world would just be swept away with the flick of the hand....as if I never was in the first place.

In these days, as we honor those who lost their lives 10 years ago on 9/11, we can also honor our friends & fellow riders in "the family of motorcyclists" on a new sub-forum because their lives were just as important, our chosen activity is still just as dangerously rewarding, and their memories are just as precious as any others.

If the life of any innocent one is special, then the life of every innocent one is also special! This new sub-forum should be "In Memory Of..." those who walked with us & rode with us, as we celebrate the lives & liveliness of all who shared our passion for life in the same way we continue to enjoy doing!!!

Those that don't want to read it, for whatever reason, don't have to, just like any other forum; I do, however believe that this type of board is the right thing to do!

The problem of who should be included would be partially solved by the fact that a person not connected to this board would probably not have a lot of comments made after his or her demise. A board member would probably have a greater amount of condolence remarks. S+W Winger(Bev) has I think had more comments made than anyone I can think of and IMHO deservedly so.

I dunno, I try not to think about any obituaries. That is a fact of life but something all wish to avoid.

Maybe a memory list, a written monument, or wall as has been suggested.

The problem with an open forum open to comments and with death concerned, it will go bad. Some of the comments will cause a war.

Something as a memorial, could be listed and put in some members signature, and passed on if need be.

Because sooner or later it would become a death forum, open to comments that will cause hate and discontent. Some comment will be made, another will take offense, then 29 pages later, a mod will have to delete the thread. All that would take the intent and respect out of the whole situation.

Something not open to comment, a memorial.

Kit-"The Memory Wall" is probably a good idea. It could be restricted to certain information concerning the board member. The posts concerning this or that person that was read about in the newspaper could be allowed to expire on the general board as they do now.

Discussion starter · #27 ·
In these days, as we honor those who lost their lives 10 years ago on 9/11, we can also honor our friends & fellow riders in "the family of motorcyclists" on a new sub-forum because their lives were just as important, our chosen activity is still just as dangerously rewarding, and their memories are just as precious as any others.

:agree:

If the life of any innocent one is special, then the life of every innocent one is also special! This new sub-forum should be "In Memory Of..." those who walked with us & rode with us, as we celebrate the lives & liveliness of all who shared our passion for life in the same way we continue to enjoy doing!!!

I SOOOO DO...... :agree:

Those that don't want to read it, for whatever reason, don't have to, just like any other forum; I do, however believe that this type of board is the right thing to do!

YES I FULLY AGREE....! If you do not want to look at it...no one is FORCING you to do so. But for those of us that would like to remember our riding friends and so on...then let us do so. It seems that many of you so called...self proclaimed...REAL BIKERS...as you like to call yourselves. Seem to be scared or bashful or something like that when it comes to death. Well I have news for you...no one gets out of this life alive, we all have to face the grim reaper at some point...kick and scream all you want, when the time comes...and it will...! There is no getting out of it.

Well what can I say...thanks " Wing Commander " well put... :yes1:

Lloyd

Real Bikers? Now I've heard everything. Exactly what is a real biker? I have heard many people on this board refer to this type of rider.

This might be a rule among outlaw biker gangs that have about as much compassion for human life as a brick. But that is not who we are here.
Having riden with your so called OUTLAW BIKERS, I can tell you that i have seen more compasion from them than a lot of other riders, I have seen time and money donated to a lot of great charities, as riders we celebrate a persons life not their death, a MEMORY WALL or REMEMBRANCE AREA would be great but this is not a funeral home to post Obituaries, which is what the op POSTED, sorry if I seemed not compasionate enough for some of you I just get tired of the constant posts about another biker crashed instead of we lost a friend, we talk about Joe but not Joe's crash and burn. JUST MY HUMBLE OPINION..:bow:

Discussion starter · #30 ·
> that is a really nice suggestion and one that I do hope is followed
through on; it'd be nice to be able to have photo's posted along
with some comments about their personality, likes, hobbies etc...
I think so too...that the postings there to live on for as long as this site / group lives on. It was just an idea to have a place on the board a " In Memory Of........ " place where those that those that we once knew and rode with, will live on. Maybe even a place where there children and or grand children might find and read a little about there dad, grand dad and see some photos that they might never have seen otherwise.

Oh well.....it was a thought.

I don't know what's so hard about this.....I think it would be nice to be remembered by other fourm members.....If you don't like it don't read it........

Discussion starter · #35 ·
I don't know what's so hard about this.....I think it would be nice to be remembered by other fourm members.....If you don't like it don't read it........
I do not know whats so hard about it as well, other then it seems that many do not want to face the facts that one day we will all be gone... I too would think it would be nice and the proper thing to do, to honour those that we knew or met and so on. But it sure seems to be a very touchy subject for many, I had not thought it would be so touchy...

I expect to be forgotten, occasionally made fun of, and to live on in mis-attributed quotes.

I'm okay with that.

Obituary Board??

Are you kidding me.:eek:4: You guys really need something else to do with your time on this planet!.

I don't want to remember some of these guys-I try and forget them every night when I shut the computer off!:thumbup:

On a serious side.I lost a Sister and my Wife two months apart in 05.They will always be in my heart,I don't need to read that I lost them on a message board to remind me of my loss.

The same can be said for the friends we make here.Remember them in your hearts and they will not be forgotten! :bow:

Because it is kind of an unwritten rule among real bikers that death is just part of the equation and is never advertised....if they are friends you know about it without telling anyone else....
I for one am no "biker", I am a motorcyclist and proud of it. As such I am outside the status quo and think for myself thank you. It would be nice to have a place to remember those who have left us. Not so much as reminder of what can happen to us but rather a reminder of the people who once rode beside us.
I tip my hat to the OP for the suggestion and would enjoy a place of remembrance on this board.

Ron.

I have stayed at a distance from this thread for the past couple of days while I really gave it some thought. I now have an opinion that I would like to share.

By this stage in our lives, we have all lost someone close to us. A loss like this is very emotional. We don't ever want to forget those people, and many times we want reminders of them. We also want everyone to know how much these people meant to us, and to share how special they were.

Permanent memorials are quite a bit different than Obituaries. Obituaries are basically announcements, and are only temporarily displayed.

A new board would have to be decided based on whether the posts would be permanent or temorary. In other words, would it be designated as a memorial or an obituary section.

A best buddy from high school, who has been your riding buddy your whole life, it no less important to you than a widely respected member of this board. In fact, he is probably more important. But that is not an emotion that would be shared by other members of this site.

I think that a permanent memorial on this site would have to be reserved for those who are of a broad interest to the members of the board, not of interest to just to one individual. If it becomes open to anyone and everyone, its significance becomes diluted and less meaningful. The problem with a permanent memorial is that a member, or group of members would have to be willing to take on the task of deciding who would be included in a memorial, and willing to absorb the inevitable complaints.

There is a second option. Most boards have settings for posts to expire after a certain amount of time, let's say 1 or 2 months. A classified section is a good example of a board whose threads expire. If an obituary board like this were created, then any member who lost a loved one could share their loss with other members, regardless of what their relationship is to the board, and a set amount of time would be allocated for members to offer their condolences.

If any board were created, I think it would have to follow one of these two methods.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.