GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I purchased this bike in 2011 with 53000 miles. I fell in love with the color. My budget was limited. I was self-employed.

It was covered in head to toe plastic chrome. I am not a flashy guy. My thought was I would slowly change the bike back to a monochromatic scheme.

In the following years, I upgraded the suspension with Progressive Monotubes up front and a low mileage trike take off shock and heavier Progressive spring on the back. That was a huge change in ride quality. I also installed a Traxxion billet aluminum triple clamp and All Balls bearings in the steering head. Very, very happy with all those changes.

I replaced the brake pads and chenged brake fluid. Added Speedbleeders to simplify the process. Changed out the Hydraulic clutch fluid. Flushed and replaced the antifreeze. Replaced the spark plugs. Replaced final drive oil. Changed the air filter. This was a pain but keeping bodywork fasteners organized was the key for me.

More changes made, the more I loved the bike.

I worked a bunch of overtime so I went to work on the exhaust. I wanted a richer sound. Decided to go with Torq Loopz and ended up with black Rush mufflers. Compared to the stock exhaust sound, it now sounded like a hot rod. The inner kid in me loves it! I will have to let you know if I still love it on a 4000 trip.

Around this time, I was experiencing issues with battery charging. New battery didn’t hurt but didn’t fix the issue. It came down to replacing the alternator. I decided to replace it with an OEM Honda unit purchased online from Honda of Troy for $310. If any of you have replaced an alternator out on the road; you have my respect. I couldn’t imagine getting the inner bolt out and back in without pulling the gas tank.

I also replaced all the lights with LED. Much brighter night riding and more visibility to cars in the day. Found a set of used Muth Mirrors. Easy installation. I updated the sidebag and trunk lenses.

As far as replacing plastic chrome parts back to factory painted parts...
I was able to find some pieces on eBay and some pieces I had to buy OEM. Partzilla saves a person a lot of money.

I painted exposed silver areas of the frame with black plasti-dip paint. The stuff wears really well and if someone ever wants to change it, the painted areas can be stripped easily.

The result is what you see below. I may decide to take some of the black plastic parts and paint them body color or I might just leave them.

Are we ever really finished making our Goldwings more us?

·
motorcycle cowboy
933 Posts
Looks sharp. Is that an Ultimate seat?

Reactions: iaJim and cycledude

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
I like the look! Not a fan of chrome to excess anyway, since there's always a water spot somewhere. My 03 is black to start with, but recently she's been getting a bit darker after painting the engine covers black and considering powder coating the wheels over the Winter. Good job, she's looking Sporty. :grin2:

Reactions: iaJim and cycledude

·
Registered
8,049 Posts
The after picture is definitely a winner. :thumbup:

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks sharp. Is that an Ultimate seat?
It is an Ultimate Low seat.

I like it because I can flat foot it at a stoplight.

They don’t sell the Low model anymore. Just the Mid and King.

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
43 Posts
Well I have to say , growing up in the 60's - 70's that I AM a fan of chrome.... but HOLEY CRAP! YOU MAY HAVE CONVERTED ME!!! Nice job.

AND just in time. I've only had mine a month so I haven't had time to start "making it mine". This winter it will be changed but now my mind is scrambled!

Now I have some decisions to make....

THANKS for those pics!!

PS, mine is the same color, with some chrome already...maybe not for long.

Reactions: iaJim

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you all for the feedback! It looks and feels like a new bike to me.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
You should spend more of your time and $$$ riding :wink2:.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Did you power coat the wheels or bought a black ones?
If you did power-coat them, was it expensive and does it look good up close?...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 25 Posts