GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why do people go in some cases great lengths in hiding a tag in a picture that is posted online? I don't see the issue. Your thoughts.....

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
I guess its to help to retain some anonymity..
Same as members user names.
Like Steve 0800 and not Stephen Donald Young Marysville Ohio 43040., jstrenn and Nodaker.

·
Registered
20 Posts
In my opinion, it is a false sense of security (much like this mask theater we are currently in the waning days of...).

People think they are vulnerable to show their tag online but don't realize it is on full display to the whole world all day long. I think it is silly and I am an Information Security guy!! lol

·
Registered
795 Posts
I guess its to help to retain some anonymity..
Same as members user names.
Like Steve 0800 and not Stephen Donald Young Marysville Ohio 43040., jstrenn and Nodaker.
Agree. It's easy enough for someone to find out who you are on the internet if they really want to. I'm not going to make their job easier by volunteering my info, especially if I am not getting paid for it.

·
Love The DCT
12,290 Posts
Why do people go in some cases great lengths in hiding a tag in a picture that is posted online? I don't see the issue. Your thoughts.....
They probably value some semblance of privacy. I can take that tag number and pay a small fee on certain websites. Now I have your name and address. Using your name and address, I can look up alot of information that is avialable in the public domain.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They probably value some semblance of privacy. I can take that tag number and pay a small fee on certain websites. Now I have your name and address. Using your name and address, I can look up a lot of information that is available in the public domain.
Then what? Come to my door and get a surprise ?

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
In my opinion, it is a false sense of security (much like this mask theater we are currently in the waning days of...).

People think they are vulnerable to show their tag online but don't realize it is on full display to the whole world all day long. I think it is silly and I am an Information Security guy!! lol

For a self described information security guy I am dumbfounded that you cant see the difference in a random car parked somewhere...... and a bike easily linked to an individual and what ever that can of could lead to....

I am not a self described information guy but have used stuff in the past to locate and identify people its surprising what you can turn up...specially when you get into addresses, links......... to housemates, friends, facebook and twits ect, vehicles and associates, bank accounts, e-mail addresses, telephone contacts, the list is limited to your imagination sometimes and how deep you wish to dig.

Those available search engines depending on your level of access and hacks are not limited to the good guys.

·
Registered
393 Posts
For a self described information security guy I am dumbfounded that you cant see the difference in a random car parked somewhere...... and a bike easily linked to an individual and what ever that can of could lead to....

I am not a self described information guy but have used stuff in the past to locate and identify people its surprising what you can turn up...specially when you get into addresses, links......... to housemates, friends, facebook and twits ect, vehicles and associates, bank accounts, e-mail addresses, telephone contacts, the list is limited to your imagination sometimes and how deep you wish to dig.

Those available search engines depending on your level of access and hacks are not limited to the good guys.
Kiwi, your thoughts and comments assume a level playing field. That is NOT the case on this forum. LOL

·
Registered
20 Posts

This...

Specifically here...

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
poof. Just like that. easy peasy.

·
Registered
2016 F6B Standard
65 Posts
Normally, you can't connect a license plate on a vehicle in a parking lot or on the street to a person. On a forum you can usually connect it to a user profile.

Identity theft isn't about collecting individual single pieces of information, it's about collecting several pieces to get full picture. If a forum user has a lot of personal data in their profile set to "public", along with their email address they use on Facebook which has MORE personal data available to the public, a license plate and make and model are just another few pieces to add. It may seem like overkill but it's not that difficult to obscure.

Most people would be surprised at the amount of personal data that could be collected just from reading through years of an individuals posts on a forum like this one.

Reactions: Kiwi

·
Registered
20 Posts
Normally, you can't connect a license plate on a vehicle in a parking lot or on the street to a person. On a forum you can usually connect it to a user profile.

Identity theft isn't about collecting individual single pieces of information, it's about collecting several pieces to get full picture. If a forum user has a lot of personal data in their profile set to "public", along with their email address they use on Facebook which has MORE personal data available to the public, a license plate and make and model are just another few pieces to add. It may seem like overkill but it's not that difficult to obscure.

Most people would be surprised at the amount of personal data that could be collected just from reading through years of an individuals posts on a forum like this one.
It's a fair point but what I am really referencing is risk...while it does exist, it is fractional and more than likely, way more than likely in my estimation, they already have more than enough to harvest whatever they want from most people - that license photo isn't going to bring the whole thing crashing down. That's all I am saying...and besides, that info is already out there every time you drive around. I understand it isn't linked to your social media, but, I just don't see the avalanche of doom the photo adds to the overall risk quotient. Otherwise, ya better cover that plate up every time you stop at your bank or your screwed because now they have several data points! ;-)

My humble opinion... ;-)

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Kiwi, your thoughts and comments assume a level playing field. That is NOT the case on this forum. LOL

Yeah Nah.

Not really.
Couldnt be more incorrect.

How do you work that out. ?

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Himm
regancc

You seem to have a lot to say in your 7 day tenure..

How about commenting on

Instead of ignoring stuff and throwing red herrings.
Kinda like a recently ousted polly.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
I blur my tags. I am, and have been an information/security executive for decades. I think it's a small security step, but any step is important. In factories and industry it's called "layers of protection".

That license plate leads to a few bits of data about me, possibly my make and model of vehicle. Many banks still use security questions as a second layer of protection, some of which are,... your make and model of vehicle!

Any data you can obscure online is worth it, especially when it only takes a few seconds. And I respect that for some it may take much longer.

Reactions: Kenichi

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
The less information you put out in the public eye, the better. Hackers, scammers and other persons intent on doing harm can use any and all information to relieve you of your property and / or identity. The one piece of information you leave off the internet may be the one piece a scammer needs.....why give them the advantage?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts