GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Administrator
633 Posts
The less information you put out in the public eye, the better. Hackers, scammers and other persons intent on doing harm can use any and all information to relieve you of your property and / or identity. The one piece of information you leave off the internet may be the one piece a scammer needs.....why give them the advantage?
Exactly, why give them an advantage. That is why we recommend members do not put their email addresses in posts as clickable links.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Exactly, why give them an advantage. That is why we recommend members do not put their email addresses in posts as clickable links.
Yes...I have seen members here post ALL their personal information (name, address, phone number & email) both wittingly and unwittingly on a public forum. Please use an abundance of caution and common sense.

·
Registered
2018 Tour, Candy Ardent red
168 Posts
Interestingly, my tag is registered to a Honda Goldwing (it's actually bolted to it 😊), and I live in PA (yeah, the plate has that printed on it, too)...so there is a small amount of pretty specific information easily available 🤔

However, if I post a pic of my plate - and on occasion, it's gotten out there - and you mysteriously show up due to the information you aquired from that tidbit of information, we can enjoy a sit out on the patio and talk bikes over a beverage or two 😊.

I've got bigger things to stress over....

(Though, I will add that if you happen to drop by with darker intentions.... consider yourself forewarned. 😉)

TD

·
Registered
402 Posts
Yeah Nah.

Not really.
Couldnt be more incorrect.

How do you work that out. ?
The term "level playing field" implies all participants have equal information, and comparable intellectual acuity to analyze, and ultimately solve an issue of social, or transactional consequence. "Yeah Nah" is a non-starter (if not entirely non-sequitur), and the ensuing use of grammatical double negative is a deeper dive into the abyss. Come on, dude, far better to be flippant, and sarcastic than espouse silly syllogisms. 🤓

·
Registered
891 Posts
They probably value some semblance of privacy. I can take that tag number and pay a small fee on certain websites. Now I have your name and address. Using your name and address, I can look up alot of information that is avialable in the public domain.
Yes to that first statement, but for the bolded part...I don't believe that is true in a general, high risk sense. Granted if you get into the darkweb it can probably be had but likely not for a small fee. In my own experience DMV/BMV information is quite secure. The idea of asking your LEO buddy to "run a plate" as a favor to you is a pretty hefty 'ask' these days with computers logging all access. He/she might do it but at significant personal administrative risk. I know you can readily find sites that offer to do a search on you or a person of your choosing for info but my experience is it's already available in public records, as you said.

·
Premium Member
2019 Tour DCT Red
165 Posts
Agreed.

Yes...I have seen members here post ALL their personal information (name, address, phone number & email) both wittingly and unwittingly on a public forum. Please use an abundance of caution and common sense.
Agreed.

Keep your personal data between PM's/DM's/Conversations and do not post in your ad.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Could be that most people obscure items like this because they don't want the law to discover they are wanted. I don't know many people that don't have a warrant or are wanted for some reason.
Things that make you go hmmmmmm.

·
Administrator
633 Posts
Agreed.

Agreed.

Keep your personal data between PM's/DM's/Conversations and do not post in your ad.
Keeping your personal data between PM's/DM's/Conversations and do not post in your ad has been previously mentioned from time to time by the mod/admin staff.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Himm
regancc

You seem to have a lot to say in your 7 day tenure..

How about commenting on

I am not a self described information guy but have used stuff in the past to locate and identify people its surprising what you can turn up...specially when you get into addresses, links......... to housemates, friends, facebook and twits ect, vehicles and associates, bank accounts, e-mail addresses, telephone contacts, the list is limited to your imagination sometimes and how deep you wish to dig.

Those available search engines depending on your level of access and hacks are not limited to the good guys.

Instead of ignoring stuff and throwing red herrings.
Kinda like a recently ousted polly.
Well, for starters, that "tenure" non-sequitur is complete BS! You mean I am not allowed to voice an opinion because I have just bought a bike or joined a forum? I didn't know there was a minimum requirement for "tenure" to share ideas and dialogue about a subject. Stop being an idiot. Unlike you, I didn't comment here to prove how right I was...I was merely making a point that the info is out there already. If you can't see that, sorry, I can't help you. And I noticed you didn't comment on whether or not you hide your license plate when you stop at your bank...

·
Registered
402 Posts
Well, for starters, that "tenure" non-sequitur is complete BS! You mean I am not allowed to voice an opinion because I have just bought a bike or joined a forum? I didn't know there was a minimum requirement for "tenure" to share ideas and dialogue about a subject. Stop being an idiot. Unlike you, I didn't comment here to prove how right I was...I was merely making a point that the info is out there already. If you can't see that, sorry, I can't help you. And I noticed you didn't comment on whether or not you hide your license plate when you stop at your bank...
No need to call people names. There is no justification for hateful insolence. We can disagree among ourselves, yet remain respectful.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Except I didn't call a name...what I did was point out that he is BEING one...which is certainly NOT "hateful insolence".

And I only speak the truth. Anyone who wants to be condescending and limit the sharing of ideas is being an idiot. I don't tolerate being told in no uncertain terms that my "tenure" is too low for me to be sharing my thoughts on a subject. I appreciate your sensibility, though...and apologize if I offended them.

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
I find this discussion to be somewhat silly. There are those that feel it's no big deal as your plate is out there for all to see when you are out. Others feel why give more information online that can allow bad actors to use it against you.

The reality is that it's each of our personal choice. You choose the risks you wish to take.

·
15 year Member
6,959 Posts
They WILL find you, and when they do it will be CURTAINS for you my friend, because you posted your plate on the “interweb”

beware ye all……

mattbcnv

Reactions: regancc

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
OK, I am going to put it into another frame..... It is more to the collection of multiple pieces of data. My example is going to reference Myth Busters, since several may have seen that show and what they deal with that may make something that cannot be aired under national security related terms. Many may not know it, but they did end up having in depth security background investigations done on them just like they were working for a major Defense Contractor or even a Nuclear Power Plant. This was because they were investigating something that needed them to make a very powerful explosive for the myth. They are using a bottle of <blur> and mix it with this other bottle of <blur>, and after you <blur>, you end up with this very powerful explosive. What I am referring to, is those bottles of <blur> may all be found at your neighborhood Home Depot. But identifying them as combined data turns it into something you do not want certain people to be able to do something really bad with. Well, someone posting pictures with license plates online goes out to far more than just driving wherever and it is tied to a profile in some way. So, this un-blurs one of those bottles and we have no way of knowing if identity thieves trolling the web already know those other <blur> items. We can at least be able to think that the few that see our plate in person are not going to do anything bad or at least not have access to those other <blur> items. The items themselves pose no problem, but getting the correct other stuff; and your home gets cleaned out because you hinted someplace else on online that you are out on vacation during certain days, or only the cat is home for specific hours during the week.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Stop letting facts get in the way of opinions.

My opinion: I think my plate is up on a photo or two and I'm not losing sleep over it. But if I had to post again and had prowess with the blurrer, sure, I'd blur.

Now let's get back to answering Facebook polls about first concert and first car and such.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts