GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A week or so ago I was driving south on I-75 into Dayton, OH. I came upon 2 cycles, one ridden by a female that appeared to be a Sportster and the male was riding one of the 3-wheeled (Can-AM?) cycles. These two bikes were riding with only a slight stagger but what really got me was the 3-wheeler was riding with the left front tire either ON the lane line or up to a foot OVER the lane line. He was the lead bike of the two and there was fairly heavy traffic on this 4 lane section of the interstate. The bikes were one lane to the right of the far left lane. I followed them for a couple of miles before exiting and his riding style was constant, either the front tire ON the lane line or OVER it. I thought it was very dangerous, inconsiderate and wondered why they would try to ride so close together with the lead bike being partially in another lane.

Was this an isolated case with this particular person or is this common with these type of bikes?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Could be that he is new to the three wheeler and is riding the left track like he did on his bike. Sometimes when I ride my wife's trike, I tend to crowd the left lane line like you mentioned. I'm working on it, but 40 years of riding a bike and traveling in the left track is a hard habit to break.

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
I agree w/Ping Jockey.
However, addressing the closeness of the 2.
The way I was taught to ride staggered was a 1 second "space" to each staggered bike. That puts the 2seconds needed between bikes in the same portion of the lane.
OR
Ride where you can see the face of the staggered bike rider ahead in his/her mirror.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought about that possibility but the bikes had Michigan plates, which puts them at least 3 hours on the road at that point and would indicate the possibility of an extended trip. When a vehicle would pass them to the left, it would often come very close to the bike's front tire or the vehicle would crowd the divider wall. The rider would be so far over the lane line at times he had to see it below him if he took a look down.

Whatever the case, I found it very odd to be riding on a congested interstate (at speed) in this manner.

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
I would guess, if he kept that up and was observed by a Ohio State LEO, he would have been stopped!
My experience(as a LEO)taught me Ohio State LEOs are not to tolerant of such things on their I-states!
They especially get upset w/visiting LEO's traveling above the posted speed limit:eek:4:Did I just rat myself out:coffee1:

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would guess, if he kept that up and was observed by a Ohio State LEO, he would have been stopped!
My experience(as a LEO)taught me Ohio State LEOs are not to tolerant of such things on their I-states!
They especially get upset w/visiting LEO's traveling above the posted speed limit:eek:4:Did I just rat myself out:coffee1:
Did you get a "free pass"??:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Deputy,

Sometime it's the other way around. The Sheriff has to make the call to get the free pass. What's the riff between states? Not all but most.
A better question would be; why do LEOs feel they have a special pass to begin with? :confused:

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
Deputy,

Sometime it's the other way around. The Sheriff has to make the call to get the free pass. What's the riff between states? Not all but most.
No real riff, that I'm aware of. We LEO's should know better than to "speed" and some departments are not very tolerant when we get stopped and shouldn't be tolerant IMHO.
While not really wanting to "fine" another LEO, a call to the #1 on the department if the infraction is considered to be at the danger to others level is in order.

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
A better question would be; why do LEOs feel they have a special pass to begin with? :confused:
We, at least most I know, do not expect a special pass.
I get upset, just like many civilians, when I get passed by a marked squad exceeding the speed limit by a "vast" amount.
I have noted unit numbers off vehicles and made a few calls myself.
There are a few times when a hot call is being responded to and the LEO needs to shut off lights(@ night)/sirens when approaching the area of the call as to not alert the "bad man" we are near.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
He probably saw some old fart on a GW creeping up on him, instead of passing, and was getting ready to take evasive action. :lol:

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
He probably saw some old fart on a GW creeping up on him, instead of passing, and was getting ready to take evasive action. :lol:
I didn't qiute qualify for the "old fart on a GW" label yet and I was in a car at the time of the observation.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts