GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently we went on our annual summer trip. This time the plan was to go to Oregon. Pretty much that was the plan, just jump on the bikes and goto Oregon and see what we could see. We ended up in Washington state on the Pacific beach but did drive through the tip of Oregon.
We have been doing these summer trips for 30 years and everyone is done the same. We pick a state and just go there, no planning no rules just see what comes along as we go. At 4600 miles this was our longest 10 day trip.
Several things about this trip really stuck out though.

First thing that really stuck out was while driving through South Dakota there was no wind. I have never gone through the Dakota's without 45-50 mph side winds and 100 degree temps. On this trip it was mid 70's and no wind.
I packed three pair of shorts and tee shirts and ended up wearing long jeans and my insulated rain jacket for most of the trip.

It was Sturgis week, or as I call it Farm Fest, and it was amazing to see 99% of the bikes on the road (everywhere) where Harleys. My wife made the comment that if HD was loosing money they need new accounts as they defiantly control the market. Sad but true.

A fair number of Harleys actually had mufflers and were quite so i am guessing some renegade company out there is making third party mufflers for these things as the stock one don't have mufflers, do they? :cool:

I did run into a older fellow in West Yellowstone. He approached me as I was loading up the bike in the morning and asked what kind of bike this was? I told him and he said "you don't see any British bikes do you?" (He was British and in his 90's) I said "no you don't but my first seven motorcycles were Triumphs, BSA and Norton". He was a retired factory racer for Triumph and said he rode the very first Vincent HRD ever made. He said they were the best hill climbing bikes built. You put them in 3rd charge up the hill, take first place and go home. His wife said he should not live in the past but I told him he should be proud and so should she.

We ran into a Young Japanese family in Wyoming and I struck up a conversion asking if they are visiting here and viewing Yellowstone. The husband told me yes but they are From Rochester MN - just 50 miles from my home. What are the odds?

Crossing MT Rainer the temps again cool at 37 degrees and four feet of snow. The pass just opened two weeks prior due to extreme heavy snow fall. Pierre SD was all sand bagged due to flooding. The mountain runoff was so great they had to open the "tubes" on the dam and flood the town or the dam would overflow. The snow melt was also a month behind normal.

In general the trip was awesome but cool. Average temps throughout were in the 70's. Not what one would expect in August. And south of us it was in the 100's. In general perfect riding temps for me though.
Each year it seems to be getting worse or more extreme, as predicted and expected.

For the first time in 30 years we had a major mechanical breakdown and it wasn't my buddies Harley, it was the wing :cry:
My 10 year old battery died in Pierre but we were 500 feet from a Napa store so 20 minutes and we were back on the road.

As far as rain, lucked out again and had zero rain, not even a cloudy day :p

In general the thing that struck me the most was that the encroachment and progression of GCC is very evident but in an odd way it was of beneficial to us, at least for now.

·
Notorious Rocket Scientist
5,533 Posts
My 10 year old battery died in Pierre but we were 500 feet from a Napa store so 20 minutes and we were back on the road.
You should have purchased a lottery ticket as well. That was certainly a lucky day for you.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Nice trip.
You're more brave than me, starting that trip on a ten year old battery. But you're also lucky that it let go 500 feet from a bunch of new ones.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I was lucky for sure but that just added to the adventure. back in 1970 we went on our very first trip, just the wife and me. We had $150 cash, no credit cards, no checks, no cell phone. MN to Yellowstone and camped where ever we could find a vacant woods. Made it home just fine with $6 to spare.
Foolish but quite an adventure. Best trip we have ever been on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts