GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my new 2012 for one month now. These are some observations based on 5000 miles of use. Most observations apply to previous years as well.

Color: WHITE
Model: AUDIO COMFORT NAVI XM ABS

-1 The goldwing tranny is clunky. Too bad. It detracts from an otherwise fine bike.

-1 The barn door of a windshield does not allow enough air over the top for cooling in the summer. I know it has a vent but it's useless. I will have to look into a shorter ws.

-1 Bike needs electrically operated ws like the ST1300.

+1 The TPS (Tire Pressure System) saved my bacon. This feature works!!! About 2500 miles into my trip I had a rear puncture. Usually I've had no problem plugging tires, but this time the tire kicked out 5 plugs and each time the TPS warned me so I could pull over safely. I was able to limp into Monticello Utah on the sixth plug to have the tire replaced. The owner of Hondaland was really helpful and did a great job.

+1 Clear coat wheels. Easy cleanup.

-1 Clear coat scratches too easily on wheels.

+1 This baby is well balanced. When I take my hands off the grips in cruise control it tracks straight as an arrow.

+1 Bike is very stable in winds.

-1 Way too much effort required to change air filter.

+1 Plugs will be easy to change.

+1 Oil & filter change is a snap.

+1 Smooth surfaces for easy cleanup. Honda did a good job putting a lot of smooth surfaces on the bike to cover crooks and crannies.

-1 Throttle takes too much effort.

-1 Bogus Trunk open message when it is closed. The latch mechanism needs to be redesigned or allow adjustment. The trunk open message should stay on for no more than 5 seconds instead of staying on and blocking the screen.

-1 Trunk operation sucks. When new, the trunk lever opened the trunk easily. Now I have to press down on the trunk to open it, otherwise I'm afraid I may break the lever.

All in all the gw is a fine bike that I can live with.

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
I was hoping that in the redesign of the ugly-ass rear end, they would have addressed the "Open Trunk" sensor/message. Guess not.

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
The best way to open the trunk is to pull back gently on the passenger backrest with your left hand while you pull the latch handle with your right.

·
Registered
19,323 Posts
Wow my windshield vent works great

·
Registered
45 Posts

Sorry you are so dissatisfied. You can sell it and buy something else.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Nav screen??

I love my vent, It works great!!! Does the nav screen still have that annoying glare or did they fix it?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Although the navigation screen on the 2012 has brighter and clearer graphics, I still have an issue throughout the day of the screen reflection. I can't count the number of times I have to use my hand as an extra shade to see what's going on.

Another poster mentioned taking his hands off the handlebars and the 2012 tracked straight down the road. After four Goldwings I thought my ride was a "freak of nature" from Honda. I don't want to touch the suspension with after market parts, the bike is stable at all speeds and there is no suggestion of low speed wobble, which is a worn out subject on all Goldwing forums.

My biggest complaint....There isn't squat for after market goodies! Not from Mother Honda or all the companies out there competing for the business. I can't even locate a service manual for the 2012, I called Honda Direct Line last week and they have nothing. Also, the rear light display has me a little nervous, I want a color matched spoiler with modulated brake lights...It isn't out there for purchase. On my 2006 Wing I have Muth mirrors that I really like. Don't order them for the 2012, they won't fit! Glad I asked around, Muth is supposedly modifying the mount so they fit on the 2012. There are a number of subtle changes to the new Goldwing, so beware of ordering something that may not "fit." I'm also trying to get my hands on Electric Connection's LED Fog Lights, but no one has them in stock?

·
Registered
19,994 Posts
Interesting observations, even if I do find many of them to be completely opposite from my own.

As far as the trunk however, it isn't junk. Yours just has a problem. Get it fixed. That is what service departments are for. Too often people think that every time something doesn't work right, the only solution is to completely redesign it, when all it really needs is an adjustment or the replacement of a faulty part. I have never had one single incorrect trunk open message in 10 years.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I have no complaints about my 2012 other than I can't ride it enough. I've had it a month now and I've only got 700 miles on it. Not the bike's fault, I'm painting my house so that is taking up a lot of time that would (should!) otherwise be spent riding. Just installed headsets and loving the stereo and the Nav. Belly pan is next.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Different Take on 2012

I also have a brand new 2012, a red one with about 500 miles on it now. Here is my take on the new Wing.

+1 I LOVE the styling--especially the back end. Hate me if you want, but I think it looks great!
+1 The seat is excellent.
-1 The windshield should be powered on the fly.
+1 Handles great.
-1 Too much effort to hold throttle open (but I have trouble with my hands).
+1 Love the color and the two tone styling.
+/-1 I like the Nav System but I don't love it.
+1 Trunk works fine.
+1 Transmission is clunky, but WAY better than some competing products I've tried, including that 100 year old brand that can't make a transmission with neutral to save it's life!
+1 Power.
+1 Good low speed handling.
-.5 At parking lot speeds, partial throttle could be a little better. To get around this issue, I mostly use the bike at idle speed.
-.5 not great on gravel (duh).
+1 New tires turn in well.
+1 Radio sounds good.
+1 Looking forward to using the build in headset features.
+1+1+1+1+1 ABS!
+1+1+1+1+1 Wife LOVES it!

I guess I'll keep mine too--the bike that is. :roll:

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
If you are having trouble opening or closing the trunk,Then it needs to be adjusted..
Stop whining about it and have a dealer ADJUST it!

I tore all the plastic of my bike for a repaint.I had never stripped a trunk before,and not only that but bought a "wingriders" trunk support system to help protect my new paint.

I can open my trunk with just the lever and it pops up from the latch.I close the trunk by tugging on the passenger backrest very gently.

Either I'm a dam Genius or I can see how things work and figure out to adjust them so they work easier.
I guess that's why people have me work on their bikes too.I can fix things some think are impossible to get right??.

Have yours checked out,And YES there are adjustments to get it to open easliy and close gently..

Congrats on the new bike.:thumbup:

·
Registered
927 Posts
I've had my new 2012 for one month now. These are some observations based on 5000 miles of use. Most observations apply to previous years as well.

-1 The barn door of a windshield does not allow enough air over the top for cooling in the summer. I know it has a vent but it's useless. I will have to look into a shorter ws.
A fairly number of us like Baker Air Wings to address this. There are a few different varieties, I have 3 of them. The basic 2 piece wings have an additional advantage, they can be set to make you warmer in cold weather.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you are having trouble opening or closing the trunk,Then it needs to be adjusted..
Stop whining about it and have a dealer ADJUST it!

I tore all the plastic of my bike for a repaint.I had never stripped a trunk before,and not only that but bought a "wingriders" trunk support system to help protect my new paint.

I can open my trunk with just the lever and it pops up from the latch.I close the trunk by tugging on the passenger backrest very gently.

Either I'm a dam Genius or I can see how things work and figure out to adjust them so they work easier.
I guess that's why people have me work on their bikes too.I can fix things some think are impossible to get right??.

Have yours checked out,And YES there are adjustments to get it to open easliy and close gently..

Congrats on the new bike.:thumbup:

Have a dealer adjust it? You folks are starting to worry me.
I don't want Mr. Rocky to mislead anybody because there is no adjustment for the trunk release mechanism.

What I have found out by my own experience is that:
1) if you drop the trunk lid, or slam it shut, then the release lever is difficult to operate.
2) if you gently close the trunk then the lever works normally.
3) the trick is to close the trunk securely enough to avoid getting a trunk open message.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Have had my 2012 since 6/28, dealer gave me $700 in accessories, so far have done Kury criuse pegs, Hondaline chrome bare ends, passenger armrest, trunk handle and color matched spoiler with brake light, I did have to wait a month for the spoiler though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts