GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a buddy who lives part-time in Norway and part-time in Florida. He is a Norwegian citizen and receives income via consulting in Norway. Living in Florida is for pleasure only.

He would like to ride a motorcycle in the US. At this time he does not have a Norwegian MC license but has an auto license.

Does anyone know what the requirements are for obtaining a MC license in Florida? Is it possible to obtain a Florida MC license if you only live there part-time?

Thanks for any insight / input.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
www.myflorida.com and click on the DMV to view the license requirements. He would only need an MC endorsement on the license he has now if he is in the state for less than 6 months out of the year. That might be the best route is to get a MC endorsement from the country he has the license.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
He would be an immy grant....they might just give em one......:evil:

Might have to take the test, get a permit or something.

My experience went like this:

I went to Florida to do a job for about 4 months. I live in South Carolina.
I was riding around Ft. Myers just piddling one evening and a City Cop stopped me , guess he did not like my helmet or something, just a check type stop, and nope I still had a South Carolina license. I explained I live in South Carolina, so he wants to know what I am doing in FT. Myers. Then he wants a home address, so I give him one at the apartment I was staying at. Uh Oh.........

Anyone with an address in Florida with over 30 days occupancy must obtain a Florida Drivers license, so here we go. What a deal.

I had to pay some kind of road tax fee, tag the bike in Florida, and when I went to the DMV to get a Florida license I could not have one. They wanted proof of birth. I had to send to Kansas City Mo to get a copy of my birth certificate and jump through all the hoops, and finally I was granted the Florida Drivers License with MC endorsement. It mattered not that I had a South Carolina one and certainly must be a citizen..........but there was another line for immy grants........and they just hand them a license. No proof required, they have to have a green card or something, and they get one.

Then when I got back to South Carolina......yep, go get another South Carolina Drivers License........

I tried all kinds of things, I am not a resident, I do not live here, I just escaped from sing sing, I am an immy grant......no deal, you need to get that birth certificate.

Florida is a mess........good luck.

·
Registered
137 Posts
The bigger concern of mine would be insurance. You sure don't want your friend to get tangled up there. He will need a Florida License endorsed for MC and insurance here in the US.

·
Banned
2,963 Posts
Since 9/11 things got very much more regulated and Florida is actually fairly strict when it comes to issuing a DL even though we had been living in the USA 4 years when we moved here and had licenses from both California and Nevada they still made us jump through hoops proving our immigration status and even once we had done that they had to let Tallahassee issue the license.

Now I suspect your friend is either using the 90 day visa waiver scheme or has a 6 month visitor visa.

If he is on the Visa Waiver scheme he cannot get a DL as he has no Visa status

If he has any kind of Visa B1 B2 etc etc he can get a license for the duration of that Visa stay not the term of the visa so maximum 6 months for most visitor visas, first time out he will need to do the tests and then he will need to apply for a new DL each time he returns to the US and pay the $48 fee but not redo the tests any endorsements such as the motorcycle will also not need to be renewed

1 - 5 of 5 Posts