GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a post before about Octane. what should be used in the wing.
Someone posted that in the book 87 was all you needed. I thought I read the same thing.
I just happen to pull off the right engine cover and saw a sticker.
Mine says to use 91 Octane:shock:
This might explain why my bike Pings under load on regular but runs Great on premium.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also It requires Oil in the 10/40 weight.

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
Octane rating might be different down here but our unleaded which i use is 91 octane here then premium 96 octane there are a couple of fuels that go to 98 octane my bike runs great at 91 octane :yes1: manual calls for 91 or higher

Cheers :thumbup:

O

·
0 Posts
I've been using 87 from the beginning, in my '08. No ping, no problems. I did try premium, didn't notice any difference. So I went back to regular.

·
Registered
19,324 Posts
Newer wings suggest 10-30W oil

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
My 03 has always pinged if I use 87 under almost normal throttle. I run Mid Grade and no ping unless I really get on it.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Gents,
My '84 Aspy required premium and I think so does the '02 1800, (not positive) but, I ran regular in the Aspy and now I run regular in the 1800 and get great mileage and no pinging that I know of. Now, when I start towing, I might make a change to see if there's any difference.
Scott

·
Vendor
22,102 Posts
I saw a post before about Octane. what should be used in the wing.
Someone posted that in the book 87 was all you needed. I thought I read the same thing.
I just happen to pull off the right engine cover and saw a sticker.
Mine says to use 91 Octane:shock:
This might explain why my bike Pings under load on regular but runs Great on premium.
Check the fine print. It depends on the formula used for calculating octane. Does it say RON (Research Octane Number) or MON (Motor Octane Number) after it?

I believe (R+M)/2 is what most gas stations print on the pumps in the US.

The owners manual on my 09 says to use 86 pump octane or higher on page 106. My O2 owners manual said the same thing.

·
Hungry Member
5,045 Posts
There is also the altitude factor. The lower you are the higher the air density is and thus the octane requirement.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Check the fine print. It depends on the formula used for calculating octane. Does it say RON (Research Octane Number) or MON (Motor Octane Number) after it?

I believe (R+M)/2 is what most gas stations print on the pumps in the US.

The owners manual on my 09 says to use 86 pump octane or higher on page 106. My O2 owners manual said the same thing.

The Sticker on the Chrome Right side Engine Cover says 91 RON Octane or Higher.
Did want to start an argument with anyone , I just thought it was interesting.
Guess I need to dig through the book and see what it says.
Mine Pings if you give it more than Half Throttle on Regular or 87.
With Premium or 93 Octane, Shes Just Chits and Gits. :D

For those that run 87 with out any ping under load are either at a Higher Altitude or I have Higher compression than you .
I noticed in the Mountains of Colorado It ran Like a Scalded Ape on 85.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Been runnng my '04 since day 1 on regular, no pings at all.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have an 08' GL1800 and last summer did a test of my own on a +/- 3K mile trip. Going out I used nothing but 91 octane or higher ( 93 was the top ) and coming home I used nothing but 87 octane ( 86 was the low ) and didn't notice any change in mileage or power. Not sure of any long term changes but the manual does say 87 or higher, so regular gas it is for me.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
The GL1800 has anti knock sensors on it.

That is the first thing to replace if you get pinging with regular.

You shouldn't have to go to high test.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The GL1800 has anti knock sensors on it.

That is the first thing to replace if you get pinging with regular.

You shouldn't have to go to high test.
Unless the vehicle in Question is actually designed to run on a Higher Octane Fuel.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just looked in my book.
It says 86 Octane or Higher. :?
Sticker on Bike says 91 or higher.
The book probably hasn't changed sice the first 1800. Well maybe in 06 but for me I'm betting it hasn't changed.
Interesting to say the least though.
I do like the way I have NO Ping under any circumstances on Premium. But like the cost of Regular.

·
Registered
164 Posts
My '08 runs fine on Regular as long as I stay away from gas stations that have ethanol blends. If I'm in a local where I have to run that, then I jump to premium just to stay on the safe side.

·
Vendor
22,102 Posts
The Sticker on the Chrome Right side Engine Cover says 91 RON Octane or Higher.
There in lies the discrepancy. The Research Octane Number (RON) is NOT the same number as what is printed on the gas pump.

I'm pretty certain that the manual reference of 86 refers to R+M/2, which is what is printed on the pumps.

At 91 RON the MON would be at about 83 hence (91 RON + 83 MON)/2 = 87 Pump Octane

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
There in lies the discrepancy. The Research Octane Number (RON) is NOT the same number as what is printed on the gas pump.

I'm pretty certain that the manual reference of 86 refers to R+M/2, which is what is printed on the pumps.

At 91 RON the MON would be at about 83 hence (91 RON + 83 MON)/2 = 87 Pump Octane

Hmmm
RON MON What ever.
Turns out My scoot like the 93 more than the 87.
If I'm just puttin around. I could run Cow piss.
But if I wanna have fun, Full throttle. It just loves that Premium.
Don't see any diff in Mileage,but it's alot quieter. No Pinging.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts