GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of leaving Albuquerque on October 18th for a ride to the Florida keys. Can any or you south east residents tell me what to expect for weather? If we are talking hurricane season I think I will choose another destination. Thanks

·
Registered
403 Posts
October is a GREAT month for Florida riding. The temps and humidity are dropping and the weather is great. The Bermuda High (a weather phenomenom, not a chemically altered state of mind!) has shifted this year, farther east into the Atlantic, so its pulling any tropical formations that would normally head our way up into the central Atlantic. Just check the weather before you leave.

However, FantasyFest is going on in Key West during 20-28 October. You won't be able to get a room anywhere in Key West for less than double to triple normal price, if you can get one at all, especially around 26-28 October. On the other hand, if you can get a room, make sure you go to see the insanity on Duval Street during FantasyFest. More exposed cellulite and drooping body parts than you could ever imagine. Body paint is legally considered clothing during FantasyFest....not kidding. Its hysterical, but not for the faint of heart!

If you want to go but don't want to pay the Key West prices, consider staying farther up in the Keys. You can probably get a room on Marathon Key (about halfway down the Keys) for normal price or thereabouts.

Don't try driving down the Keys on Friday, 27 October or back out during the afternoon of either Saturday or Sunday. The traffic will be backed up because of FantasyFest.

Good Luck. I'm sure other FL riders will chime in with their thoughts as well!

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I just got back from riding down to key west, it was in the low 90's with high humidity, but I had a great time, A friend reccommended that I stay at a motel called Spanish gardens on the corner of simonton & south streets near the southern most point & one block north of duvall, it was 79 bucks a night with very clean and freshly remodeled rooms, ( just a suggestion.

·
Registered
369 Posts
i'm going down on the 12th and staying at spanash gardens, then back up to daytona :twisted:

·
Registered
606 Posts
.....Don't forget about Bikefest in Daytona....

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
There is a museum in Key West called the "Fisher Museum" (or something like that).

It is about Mel Fisher and all the gold and silver him and his family brought from from a 300 or 400 year old wreck off the Keys called the Atocha.

It's worth the visit.

http://www.melfisher.org/museumvisit.html

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
I will also be there on the 12th

JLK

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Hurricane season ends the end of November. We've been lucky so far. Just read where the Hurrican gurus claim there will be one more named storm this season.

Like Radbikers said, the storms are being pulled into the mid Atlantic, so hopefully we'll be in good shape.

Oct is a great month for riding in FL.

Dep

1 - 8 of 8 Posts