GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The OD light under the speedometer no longer comes on on my 2006 GL1800. I can't seem to find anything on replacing the bulb.

Has anyone replaced the bulbs?

·
Registered
881 Posts
I believe you will find that it is a soldered in LED. It can be replaced if you have the know how and tools.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Seems like an improvement to me. Not sure I'd be very anxious to repair such a "failure".

·
Vendor
17,815 Posts
I believe the OD light only comes on after it is shifted into overdrive ... or, since we have 2 ODs, a better way of saying that is once it is shifted into 5th gear.

I would start by testing your GPS (gear position sensor). Are you experiencing any transmission or shifting problems ???

·
Registered
21,025 Posts
Seems like an improvement to me. Not sure I'd be very anxious to repair such a "failure".
Really ? For some reason you don’t like having the overdrive light and wish it wasn’t there ? I love that feature and if it quit working I would want to fix it just like Burtsr

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Really ? For some reason you don’t like having the overdrive light and wish it wasn’t there ? I love that feature and if it quit working I would want to fix it just like Burtsr
:surprise:
Yea, I guess that whole counting to five and then (OMG), having to actually keep track of it, extremely taxing I suppose.
>:)

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
FWIW, The "Overdrive Indicator Lamp" is NOT illuminated during the "Lamp Check" when the Ignition Key is first turned "On". Looking for that during ones diagnosis would not be a good idea.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Me too! Should all the DCT owners chime in with their cure for this problem as being buy a DCT and you don’t have to count? Just give the man advice on how to fix his light.

Reactions: proudpeacock

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,372 Posts
FWIW, The "Overdrive Indicator Lamp" is NOT illuminated during the "Lamp Check" when the Ignition Key is first turned "On". Looking for that during ones diagnosis would not be a good idea.
Thanks for the heads up, I thought it did, but just checked it on my bike and it does not. So, a ground jumper to the correct wire is the only way to test it without taking the gauge assembly apart. :frown2: If the cruise works in 5th gear, it’s not the gear position switch.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
For purposes of a diagnosis please see the attached and refer to the following:

The OD Lamp in the Instrument Cluster (What Honda calls the "Combination Meter") is driven by what is called by various (although similar) names depending on what document you are looking at: "GP Sensor", "Gear Position Sensor", "Gear Position Switch" or "Switch Assembly, Change". FWIW, the Part Number for this item is: 35759-MCA-003 (Apparently no one at HMC talks to each other when it comes to document processing.)

Normal Operation:

There is a Green Wire with an Orange Tracer (G/O) that, among other things connects the GP Sensor with the instrument Cluster and the Cruise/Reverse Module.
If/when the GP Sensor grounds the Green Wire with the Orange Tracer (G/O) the Instrument Cluster should turn the Overdrive light "On".

Testing:

Start by locating the Green Wire with the Orange Tracer (G/O). The two easiest places to access this wire are: 1.) The 22 Pin Gray Connector (22P-Gr) that is located on the Left Side of the Fairing with the Top Shelter removed and 2.) The back side of the Instrument Cluster in Connector "A".

Note: Do not disconnect any wiring during any of these tests. If you must disconnect the Ignition Switch to remove plastic covers to gain access to any of these areas; be sure to plug it back in electrically for the duration of these tests.

With the Ignition Key "On" use a Jumper Wire to Ground the Green Wire with the Orange Tracer (G/O) at the Instrument Cluster. If the OD Light comes "On" the Instrument Cluster is good. If not, it's bad.

If the OD Light came on when you used the Jumper Wire to Ground the Green Wire with the Orange Tracer (G/O) at the Instrument Cluster, the failure is either in the wiring or the GP Sensor itself.

Next, if the OD Light came on when you Grounded the Green Wire with the Orange Tracer (G/O) at the Instrument Cluster. You'll need to check the wiring between the Instruemtn Cluster and the GP Sensor next:

Now ground the Green Wire with the Orange Tracer (G/O) at the 22 Pin Gray Connector (22P-Gr) that is located on the Left Side of the Fairing with the Top Shelter removed. If the OD Light comes "On" that will confirm that the wiring between this connector and the Instrument Cluster is good. If not, the Green Wire with the Orange Tracer (G/O) between this connector and the Instrument Cluster has an "Open" in it that will need to be repaired.

Next, if the OD Light came on when you Grounded the Green Wire with the Orange Tracer (G/O) at the 22 Pin Gray Connector (22P-Gr) that is located on the Left Side of the Fairing with the Top Shelter removed. You'll need to check the wiring between this connector and the GP Sensor:

Locate and ground the the Green Wire with the Orange Tracer (G/O) in the 6 Pin Black Connector (6P-Bl) that is located at the Top Front of the Engine with the Air Cleaner Assembly Removed. If grounding the Green Wire with the Orange Tracer (G/O) in the 6 Pin Black Connector (6P-Bl) that is located at the Top Front of the Engine with the Air Cleaner Assembly Removed does NOt turn the OD Light "On" there is an "Open" between this 6 Pin Black Connector (6P-Bl) and the 22 Pin Gray Connector (22P-Gr) that will need to be repaired. On the other hand, if the OD Light does come "On" that will confirm that all of the wiring between the GP Sensor and the Instrument Cluster is good. You will need to replace the GP Sensor.

Don't skip any steps and life will be much easier in the long run.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow and thanks. I'm going to have to go in later to do some other work (ham radio) I'll keep this and look then.

Cruse works fine. Everything else works fine, just the light is out when I'm in 5th gear.

I do have the ability and the tools to work on LEDs if necessary.

Thanks

Burt

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,372 Posts
Wow and thanks. I'm going to have to go in later to do some other work (ham radio) I'll keep this and look then.

Cruse works fine. Everything else works fine, just the light is out when I'm in 5th gear.

I do have the ability and the tools to work on LEDs if necessary.

Thanks

Burt
Since the cruise works ok in 5th gear, I would concentrate on the C2 connector under the left pocket to start with the jumper. Good luck, let us know if you need more help.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,372 Posts
For purposes of a diagnosis please see the attached and refer to the following:

The OD Lamp in the Instrument Cluster (What Honda calls the "Combination Meter") is driven by what is called by various (although similar) names depending on what document you are looking at: "GP Sensor", "Gear Position Sensor", "Gear Position Switch" or "Switch Assembly, Change". FWIW, the Part Number for this item is: 35759-MCA-003 (Apparently no one at HMC talks to each other when it comes to document processing.)

Normal Operation:

There is a Green Wire with an Orange Tracer (G/O) that, among other things connects the GP Sensor with the instrument Cluster and the Cruise/Reverse Module.
If/when the GP Sensor grounds the Green Wire with the Orange Tracer (G/O) the Instrument Cluster should turn the Overdrive light "On".

Testing:

Start by locating the Green Wire with the Orange Tracer (G/O). The two easiest places to access this wire are: 1.) The 22 Pin Gray Connector (22P-Gr) that is located on the Left Side of the Fairing with the Top Shelter removed and 2.) The back side of the Instrument Cluster in Connector "A".

Note: Do not disconnect any wiring during any of these tests. If you must disconnect the Ignition Switch to remove plastic covers to gain access to any of these areas; be sure to plug it back in electrically for the duration of these tests.

With the Ignition Key "On" use a Jumper Wire to Ground the Green Wire with the Orange Tracer (G/O) at the Instrument Cluster. If the OD Light comes "On" the Instrument Cluster is good. If not, it's bad.

If the OD Light came on when you used the Jumper Wire to Ground the Green Wire with the Orange Tracer (G/O) at the Instrument Cluster, the failure is either in the wiring or the GP Sensor itself.

Next, if the OD Light came on when you Grounded the Green Wire with the Orange Tracer (G/O) at the Instrument Cluster. You'll need to check the wiring between the Instruemtn Cluster and the GP Sensor next:

Now ground the Green Wire with the Orange Tracer (G/O) at the 22 Pin Gray Connector (22P-Gr) that is located on the Left Side of the Fairing with the Top Shelter removed. If the OD Light comes "On" that will confirm that the wiring between this connector and the Instrument Cluster is good. If not, the Green Wire with the Orange Tracer (G/O) between this connector and the Instrument Cluster has an "Open" in it that will need to be repaired.

Next, if the OD Light came on when you Grounded the Green Wire with the Orange Tracer (G/O) at the 22 Pin Gray Connector (22P-Gr) that is located on the Left Side of the Fairing with the Top Shelter removed. You'll need to check the wiring between this connector and the GP Sensor:

Locate and ground the the Green Wire with the Orange Tracer (G/O) in the 6 Pin Black Connector (6P-Bl) that is located at the Top Front of the Engine with the Air Cleaner Assembly Removed. If grounding the Green Wire with the Orange Tracer (G/O) in the 6 Pin Black Connector (6P-Bl) that is located at the Top Front of the Engine with the Air Cleaner Assembly Removed does NOt turn the OD Light "On" there is an "Open" between this 6 Pin Black Connector (6P-Bl) and the 22 Pin Gray Connector (22P-Gr) that will need to be repaired. On the other hand, if the OD Light does come "On" that will confirm that all of the wiring between the GP Sensor and the Instrument Cluster is good. You will need to replace the GP Sensor.

Don't skip any steps and life will be much easier in the long run.
Thanks for this, it’s a much better post than your first response. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Since the cruise works ok in 5th gear, I would concentrate on the C2 connector under the left pocket to start with the jumper. Good luck, let us know if you need more help.

Doesn't the cruise normally work in 4th as well (as long as your speed is high enough)? Do we know for certain that the OP is successfully shifting into 5th (right engine speed for the MPH, etc.)?

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,372 Posts
Doesn't the cruise normally work in 4th as well (as long as your speed is high enough)? Do we know for certain that the OP is successfully shifting into 5th (right engine speed for the MPH, etc.)?
It does, hoping the OP knows when he’s in 5th without the light. He made need to go out and test it again to be sure.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts