GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some input here. my wife's bike is an '01 Wing. Here's the problem: after riding for awhile, say about an hour or more, the bike's audio system shuts off. She loses here am/fm radio and audio to her XM radio. But she still has audio from the CB radio. The dash display still shows the radio on, but the audio is simply gone! The cure, so far, is to turn off the ignition then turn it back on and the audio is restored. I am scratching my head big time on this one and need some help here.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Maybe a simple CB squelch adjustment or also look for a sticking PTT switch.

A sticking switch would prevent CB audio as well though and unlikely the problem you discribed.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
To start with, I would pop the shelter up and check / clean the connectors to the the radio unit... It would also be a good time to remove the radio and clean under all the buttons.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
If you have theoriginal audio and CB unit, you have a compatability problem with the CB not switching back to the bike's audio. Check the SB's at Riders Rally .

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,216 Posts
I'd say the audio unit has something failing when it gets warm. Possibly a bad connection. If you have any riding buddies that will let you swap out the audio unit, that would narrow it down. If the unit turns out to be defective, replace it with one from ebay or this board's classifieds... way cheaper than new from Honda.

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
My 01 has done the same thing a couple of times
turn the key off and then back on and it is fixed kinda like a reboot
it has only happened 4 or 5 times in 7 years :shrug:

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
If you break this down, there are a couple of things that can be eliminated based on your description. Since you aren't losing audio from the CB, and you have a full display, that means the radio is still turned on. It is not shutting off. And since you have CB audio, that eliminates the power amp as a possible source of the problem. It also eliminates any of the bike's wiring as a possible cause. Although the radio could have an internal switching problem, that would be rare, so I would not blame the radio until a last resort.

A prior post alluded to the most probable cause, a bad or sticking PTT switch. There are other switches that can cause no audio, like the starter switch, but you would lose CB as well.

One other possibility is the intercom mute if you are using it. Turn it down as far as possible and retest.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To date, I've removed the top shelter and all the plugs to the radio and cleaned them out with electrical contact cleaner. I did not, however, remove the bike's radio and check the switches. This is the original audio system in the bike, but the CB is a brand new unit, updated and all that. It's a PITA to remove the shelter, but I can do that. I'm getting better and better at it the more times I take it off. Next time I'll try & have a 6-pack next to me when I do it. Should make it less of an ordeal. Thanx, guys. Electrical gremlins are a pain to chase down.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
Hope you find the problem but I would advise against a 6 pack, you might have than a radio problem when you get it back together !! :eek:4:

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
To date, I've removed the top shelter and all the plugs to the radio and cleaned them out with electrical contact cleaner. I did not, however, remove the bike's radio and check the switches. This is the original audio system in the bike, but the CB is a brand new unit, updated and all that. It's a PITA to remove the shelter, but I can do that. I'm getting better and better at it the more times I take it off. Next time I'll try & have a 6-pack next to me when I do it. Should make it less of an ordeal. Thanx, guys. Electrical gremlins are a pain to chase down.
No, I didn't mean the radio's switches. I was referring to the "Push To Talk" switch on the handlebars.

·
Registered
307 Posts
This also happened to me on my 2001. It is a manufacturer defect in the audio unit that caused an incompatability between the audio unit and the CB. I believe there is an old service bulletin on this. Anyway Honda replaced my audio unit under warranty. It's unfortunate if you happen to own an '01 and years later add the CB when the bike is out of warranty.

The only fix without replacement, is to turn the ignition off and on.

Greg
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
If there is a suspected confict between the CB and radio, the best way to verify it would be to disconnect the CB for awhile and see if it still cuts out.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Went for a 300+ mile ride today, and it didn't cut out on her. Go figure. And it's not the PTT switch because when it happens, no one receives any CB signals. It's an internal thing. Will just have to keep track of it and see what happens.

·
Registered
307 Posts
My memory was correct. Here's the service bulletin:
http://www.ridersrally.com/sb/sb04.pdf

It's service bulletin #4 from June of 2001.

The audio unit (radio) needs to be replaced. No other monkeying around will help the problem.

Good luck,

Greg
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
mine is not a ABS I think GL1800/a means an ABS model

·
Registered
307 Posts
mine is not a ABS I think GL1800/a means an ABS model
Nope... The service bulletin is for both the ABS and the non ABS, that's why there's a "/" mark. If it were for the ABS version it would have said GL1800A without the "/" mark.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts