GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The long stretch of winter weather and snow made it not only impossible for me to ride but also to even get to my Wing for weeks. In that time, it had gone completely dead. I plugged in my little Schumacher 2 amp charger thinking that would solve the problem. Two odd things occurred. One was that the charging seemed to take way longer than normal so I checked it a day later and a day after that. The second thing was that the charger died!. I had another so I plugged it in and, again, waited a couple of days for any result. This time around, I get a dim ALT light when I turn the key on and nothing else. When I turn the key to ACC, the display lights up and begins the normal process but, again, somewhat dimly. My first response is to just try a new battery but, given that I have NO need for another battery if that isn't the cause. I'm at a standstill. Any other thoughts before I get a new battery? Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,405 Posts
Your current Battery is DEAD and is unable to be charged by the Charger A new battery should do it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,952 Posts
i would guess your battery is shot and has ruined one charger already so quit trying to charge it before another charger gets ruined :thumbup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
502 Posts
You never said how old is the battery? Is the battery still connected to the bike? And are you trying to charge the battery while it's in the bike and connected to it. What kind of battery is it? To charge that battery take it out of the bike and let it warm up then try to charge it and see what it does.
 

·
IronMan
Joined
·
17,461 Posts
If its 5 yrs or older would get new one . Can try n jump it if close to car etc. Try a bigger charger but be carefull not to cook / ruin battery
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
108 Posts
Odd electrical issue with GL1800. Help!

If you have a 6 amp or so charger, I would try charging with it and see if it comes back to proper voltage. Seems like the small 2 amp chargers are more for maintaining or topping off not so much for charging a dead battery.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,379 Posts
The battery is toast. More than likely the sulfation got to the point of internally shorting one or more cells. The first charger died because it was trying to pump current into a shorted/low resistance battery. Caused excessive current load on the charger and burned it out. Second one will end up same way if you continue.

Buy a new battery and enjoy the riding season.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, guys! :bow:

If I'd only had one bike I'd probably have gotten a new battery already. :roll: I rode the VTX1800 all day and even to the blues jam tonight so, I'm not in terrible shape. At least now I know how I'm starting my day tomorrow. :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,098 Posts
I'd also open up everything I could to check for evidence of "critters" ...possible they chewed up some wiring and shorted out your battery. Worth a look ... :shrug:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,260 Posts
I'd also open up everything I could to check for evidence of "critters" ...possible they chewed up some wiring and shorted out your battery. Worth a look ... :shrug:
Critters? In Indiana? Say it ain't so! :shock:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,098 Posts
I use lots of mothballs and dryer sheets ... not to mention mouse poison, traps, and the occasional C4 ... :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,260 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top