GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is time for another "Do It Yourself" project. Do you have a picture of the rear side of a Muth mirror? I am looking to replicate adding individual LEDS to the back side of stock mirrors to simulate Muth mirrors. In particular, I need to see the coating on the back of the mirror, otherwise, I will have to remove one of my stock mirrors to play around with.

Iniitially, I thought about taking my mirrors to a glass shop and have them drill the holes in them and installing individual LEDs similiar to how I did my trunk trim pieces. I know there is a better and economical way. We will see what happens.

·
Registered
118 Posts
mirror fix

I had a left muth mirror break, i would rather not say how but i think we all at one time have done it, any way what i did was go to a glass shop have a cut out of the mirror made, i still had the led assembly so i laid it down on the back side of the mirror and made a pattern then i scratched out the silver so the led would show through when it was on , now let me say this did not go with out a little practice but i eventially made it look professional,. just a little imagination . suggest you practice on a spare piece of mirror before you due the work on the piece you want to use. the glass shop will have plenty of brocken pieces around.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a left muth mirror break, i would rather not say how but i think we all at one time have done it, any way what i did was go to a glass shop have a cut out of the mirror made, i still had the led assembly so i laid it down on the back side of the mirror and made a pattern then i scratched out the silver so the led would show through when it was on , now let me say this did not go with out a little practice but i eventially made it look professional,. just a little imagination . suggest you practice on a spare piece of mirror before you due the work on the piece you want to use. the glass shop will have plenty of brocken pieces around.
This is exactly what I was thinking about doing. I figured that I could scratch the silver off by using some type of etching tool (i.e. dremel with the appropriate attachment) after taping off the pattern. Thanks for the suggestion.

:excited:

·
Registered
195 Posts
diy mirror ed's

If you want to modify the stock mirrors you will have to scratch the front of the mirror instead of the back. I added super bright red led's to the back of my stock mirrors and used a drimmel grinder to shape circles on the front of the mirror. will try and post a picture if you want. mdhhttp://gl1800riders.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=31&d=1227492426

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
This is exactly what I was thinking about doing. I figured that I could scratch the silver off by using some type of etching tool (i.e. dremel with the appropriate attachment) after taping off the pattern.
I dont know if you're aware or not, but the LED's on the Muth mirrors do not point straight out through the glass. They are angled outwards 15-20 degrees. The brightest view (looking straight at the point of the LED) is off to the side, and not directly behind. In other words, they are most visible to drivers coming up in the adjacent lane, rather than directly behind you.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you want to modify the stock mirrors you will have to scratch the front of the mirror instead of the back. I added super bright red led's to the back of my stock mirrors and used a drimmel grinder to shape circles on the front of the mirror. will try and post a picture if you want. mdhhttp://gl1800riders.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=31&d=1227492426
Sure, share the knowledge.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I dont know if you're aware or not, but the LED's on the Muth mirrors do not point straight out through the glass. They are angled outwards 15-20 degrees. The brightest view (looking straight at the point of the LED) is off to the side, and not directly behind. In other words, they are most visible to drivers coming up in the adjacent lane, rather than directly behind you.
Good info to know. That is the primary reason I posted this thread to gather as much info as possible before beginning. Right now, I have over 40 individual LEDs that I am itching to do something with. After spending some time playing with them, I am sure I can come up with something. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you have pictures of the front and back side of your mirror? The pic above looks pretty good.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Sorry guys but I've been in the mirror business a long time. If you scratch off the silver you better coat it or the minute edge of the silver will suck up air and turn black on you just like grandma's silver. Don't use silicon.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts