GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is about Honda cars but it is relevant since we have the same issue on our Wings.

Yesterday I got a notice from the United States District Court, Eastern Division of Texas about a class action suit filed against Honda for odometers reading high on Honda and Acura cars. Maybe some of you got the same notice. If affects Hondas and Acuras built from 2002-2007.

This woman, Karen Vaughn, filed this suit against Honda complaining that the odometer in her 2002 Odyssey overstated the mileage by 2.0% to 4.0%. I had to laugh because this has been a regular topic by new Wing owners over the years. We all know of this error and that the speedometer is usual high by double what the odo is.

If the lawsuit is successful, all that will happen is this: Honda will extend the warantee period by 5%. If a car has a 36,000 warantee, Honda will extend it to 37,800.

People who leased cars from Honda can recieve a rebate if they had to pay for going over the terms of their lease.

The best part is that, if settled, Karen Vaughn will get $10,000; Sharon McQuiston will get $1,000; and the lawyers will get $9.8 million. At least that's how I read the notice.

·
Curious Member
877 Posts
Since the Goldwing has an unlimited distance warranty do you think they will add 5% to it???
:p

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
beastie said:
I know this is about Honda cars but it is relevant since we have the same issue on our Wings.

Yesterday I got a notice from the United States District Court, Eastern Division of Texas about a class action suit filed against Honda for odometers reading high on Honda and Acura cars. Maybe some of you got the same notice. If affects Hondas and Acuras built from 2002-2007.

This woman, Karen Vaughn, filed this suit against Honda complaining that the odometer in her 2002 Odyssey overstated the mileage by 2.0% to 4.0%. I had to laugh because this has been a regular topic by new Wing owners over the years. We all know of this error and that the speedometer is usual high by double what the odo is.

If the lawsuit is successful, all that will happen is this: Honda will extend the warantee period by 5%. If a car has a 36,000 warantee, Honda will extend it to 37,800.

People who leased cars from Honda can recieve a rebate if they had to pay for going over the terms of their lease.

The best part is that, if settled, Karen Vaughn will get $10,000; Sharon McQuiston will get $1,000; and
the lawyers will get $9.8 million.
Seems a little LOW for the lawyers???.........chuck..............................At least that's how I read the notice.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
8,017 Posts
There really is no excuse for Honda or any other company to spec a speedometer and odometer that doesn't read correct.

·
Administrator
3,857 Posts
Roadie said:
There really is no excuse for Honda or any other company to spec a speedometer and odometer that doesn't read correct.

This is pure speculation on my part, but I think that Honda might be trying to protect themselves from litigation resulting from owners installing larger tires. For instance, say that the Honda calibrates the speedometer to be perfectly accurate from the factory with the 60 series tires. If the owner then installs 70 series tires, the speedometer would then read low. I can easily visualize valid lawsuits resulting from speedometers reading low, but a speedo reading high is nothing more than a nuisance.

Glen

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
I don't think it will be of any significance for the Wing. Reason being is that the upper limit reading actually has you going slower. Hence not causing folks to speed etc.

Next, the warranty is a time thing, with unlimited mileage. Hence no effect on warranty duration.

Now I wonder if I will get sued for stating this? After all, it is only my "Opinion"...LOL

Dawg

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
8,017 Posts
Glockjock said:
This is pure speculation on my part, but I think that Honda might be trying to protect themselves from litigation resulting from owners installing larger tires. For instance, say that the Honda calibrates the speedometer to be perfectly accurate from the factory with the 60 series tires. If the owner then installs 70 series tires, the speedometer would then read low. I can easily visualize valid lawsuits resulting from speedometers reading low, but a speedo reading high is nothing more than a nuisance.

Glen
My 97 Ford F150's speedometer and the odometer are right on with the GPS, so not all manufacturers spec inaccurate speedometers and odometers in their vehicles.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Seldom Home said:
Since the Goldwing has an unlimited distance warranty do you think they will add 5% to it???
The 'Exhaust Emission' warranty DOES have a mileage limit. Read your warranty booklet.

That's why things like faulty O2 sensors can be an issue after the emissions warranty is over.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Roadie said:
I feel that there is no excuse but greed for the lawyers to go after these huge settlements for themselves.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
All Boots No Saddle said:
[quote="Seldom Home":2q489kbp]Since the Goldwing has an unlimited distance warranty do you think they will add 5% to it???
The 'Exhaust Emission' warranty DOES have a mileage limit. Read your warranty booklet.

That's why things like faulty O2 sensors can be an issue after the emissions warranty is over.[/quote:2q489kbp]

IF the emissions warranty is expired , how would an O2 sensor be covered?

:?

·
Registered
311 Posts
I have to agree about the greedy lawyers. The most recent class action I was part of the lawyers got 16.8 million and I got $3.43. And that's before the postage it cost me to respond.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
That is why I opted out, when I got the notice. Hate frivolous lawsuits.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Tony in AZ said:
[quote="All Boots No Saddle":16vyj05x][quote="Seldom Home":16vyj05x]Since the Goldwing has an unlimited distance warranty do you think they will add 5% to it???

That's why things like faulty O2 sensors can be an issue after the emissions warranty is over.[/quote:16vyj05x]
IF the emissions warranty is expired , how would an O2 sensor be covered?[/quote:16vyj05x]
That's the point... they're not.

And, the issue is: they aren't cheap.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Roadie said:
However it is within the law as long as the error is not by more than 10%

·
Registered
18 Posts
LeeBos said:
I have to agree about the greedy lawyers. The most recent class action I was part of the lawyers got 16.8 million and I got $3.43. And that's before the postage it cost me to respond.
SO they get a house in the bahama's and you get 3 candy bars?

Sounds fair to me.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
LeeBos said:
For that reason, I refuse to participate in any class action suit unless I'm personally and substantially impacted.. Lawyers are just wealth redistibution agents.. They produce NOTHING and drive the costs of everything skyward to line thier own pockets.. :roll: :roll:

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Actually Honda would not be liable for the idiot that put larger tires on his Honda Civic. They would easily claim the Speedometer was correct with "Manufacturers Originally Equipped Wheels and Tires". The claim would also show that the mileage would have continued to be correct if the owner had replaced the tires with the same series tires..... Then again you can never figure where the jury is going with cases like these.

·
Registered
19,401 Posts
My wife has a 2007 Honda Civic no recall letter. Dealer has not heard about

·
Registered
83 Posts
class action

You guys that are claiming class action lawsuits are only to line the pockets of lawyers are really missing the mark. The reason that class action law suits are effective is because it is the only way Joe Consumer can make a large company that does business with millions of customers adhere to a particular standard. For instance: If a am Honda and I can cheat every person who buys a vehicle from my company out of $100 dollars, I have increased my bottom line tremendously- large profit to Honda. However, the injured costomer cannot afford to expend the time or money to attempt to recover the $100 because it is not cost effective. But even if a few do and Honda has to pay back that $100 dollars to those that do, Honda still come out way ahead. In a class action lawsuit all of the injured parties are reprsented as one and the damages to Honda are significant so that they loose any incentive to cheat customers. So without class action lawsuits, companies would have an incentive to cheat consumers by small amounts.

Also, I am a lawyer. I try to earn a good living. I am not greedy and I don't cheat people. I often represent people with legal problems for no fee (legal problems may be defined as everything from estate planning to fighting with some government agency to collecting from some insurance company that refuses to pay after having received years of premiums). My profession has its warts. However, every lawyer (in my state at least) pays money every month so that poor people can afford legal representation. Every lawyer I know reprsents people for free on a regular basis. My profession kicks out those people that get too many complaints upon them. Incomes of lawyres I know range from $28,000 per year (with a large school loan payment coming out of that) to a couple of million a year. All of us aren't rich and may never get that way. (just like in every other profession). However, all honest lawyers that I have dealt with, consider protecting people from a wrong as the most important part of their job.

So, bad mouth lawyers if you must. But you should remember that you live every day of your life under a shield of protection that lawyers have given you. If you want to debate this fact intelligently, you can pm me or email me at [email protected].

1 - 20 of 26 Posts