GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen somewhere on this site a reference made to a method to correct the odometer reading on the 1800 bikes. Mine is off by roughly 4 miles per 100 more than it should be. Can anyone give me some details on what or how to do this.

·
Registered
636 Posts
The speedometers on most bikes are inaccurate. In fact I've not seen a bike review in MCN showing an accurate one. So save your money. Look at it as insurance against speeding tickets.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
On the top of the page is a search function. Put in 'speedometer' and you will find the subject beat to death.

You can:
A. Put in a Black Box correction unit.
B. Go to 70 series rear tire
C. Install a GPS unit
D. Live with it.

How important is it that you need survey grade data for riding down the freeway?

·
Registered
9,116 Posts
There's not really anyway to "fix" the odometer, but switching to 70 series tires with cause the speedometer to be almost dead on.

Bartman

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
You can install a Yellow Box or other similar devices on the Wing to correct the speedometer or the odometer. The odometer and the speedometer are off by different percentages. The stock speedometer reads fast about 6.5% and the odometer read about 4% more miles than you really have traveled. Since the speedometer and the odometer are off by different percentages you can only set one or the other to read true. If you set the speedometer to read true than the odometer will read sightly low and if you set the odometer to read true than the speedometer will read slightly fast. I set my Yellow Box at 6.5% to correct the speedometer to read the true speed and now my odometer reads 2% low, about 2 miles less for every 100 miles.

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
cavuseeker;

Unless Honda changed things quite a bit, one or the other is still off a bit. If the speedo is "spot on" then the odo is underestimating your accumualted mile by about 2 or 3% and if your ODO is "spot on" then your speedo is still a bit enthusiastic about reporting your speed. Then agian; I reckon some folks have bigger "spots" than others. Speed-O-Healer is a good product and I am sure teh Yellow box is too.

prs

I

·
0 Posts
I used to be real "anal" about the speedometer error. Then I got realistic.

If I am seeing 70 on the speedo, I am doing about 65. Pretty much true at any highway speed. (now confirmed by the GPS)

As for calcing gas mileage based on the ODO, I finally decided I don't need to fuss over that either, cuz I don't much care. I don't give a rip what milage it gets. If something mechanical goes bad and it starts to burn gas at rate that is not normal, I will sure notice it by simply knowing by experience how far I can safely ride on a tankful and how fast the gas gage is dropping. If I am at 1/4 tankfull, I always fill up at the first opportunity, no matter where I am. Might even do so at 1/2 tank. You can't have too much gas on board. (Old airplane pilot concept.)

Ride safe. Happy Holidays

S

·
0 Posts
Direct from the Speedo healer FAQ

5. Will the SH calibrate both my speedo and odometer?

Yes, but it is not possible to calibrate them separately, as one speed signal drives both the speedometer and the odometer.

You can get 100% accurate speedometer AND 100% accurate odometer only . :roll:

B

·
0 Posts
Strider said:
You can get 100% accurate speedometer AND 100% accurate odometer only . :roll:
Did you mean to say "OR"? Most tests have shown the speedo and odo to be off by defferent percentages. My speedo was 7% high, my odo 4%. With the Yellow Box, my speedo is now spot on at 70mph and my odo is about 3% low.

If your speedo AND od were both off by the exact same percent, you could correct both, but not many are the same.

S

·
0 Posts
Beastie I copied that quote directly off the Spedo Healer FAQ site .
I agree with you though, I looked further at their site, and it is IMPOSSIBLE to have two different settings , one for the speedo and one for the odometer .
I have since looked at every "black box" I could find, and haven't found a single one yet that allows the user to be able to input TWO DIFFERENT correction setting to be used independently . One correction the odometer and one correction for the speedometer.

·
Registered
195 Posts
On my 06, I installed a avon 70 series rear. According to my gps, the speedo is spot on and the odo is 1%slower than actual mileage. Probably as close as any factory vehicle.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The best part is that, if settled, Karen Vaughn will get $10,000; Sharon McQuiston will get $1,000; and the lawyers will get $9.8 million. At least that's how I read the notice.
And...who do you think will pay the $$$$? (Hint: NOT HONDA.)

Milt

·
Registered
206 Posts
I just put a speedo healer on my 05, works great. The company was also very good to work with, as the first unit got lost in shipping and they sent me a replacement at no charge. A month later when the first unit finally showed up, they sent the return shipping label at no cost.

Speedo healer comes with the necessary connectors to make it plug and play - no splicing wires. Other than having to lift the skin on the bike to get the the proper connector, it is a breeze to install.

And, as others have noted, you speedometer and odometer are off by different amounts, so adjust where it suits your purposes the best. I set my speed to be accurate so my co-rider will stop complaining about how fast I am going. :lol:

Carl

1 - 16 of 16 Posts