GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought an air filter for the 2008 GW off eBay. It was advertised as OEM, and even has a Honda sticker, with part number 17210-MCA-A60 on it. However, the filter element is red. I have since heard the OEM filters are all green.

Am I correct in the understanding that OEM filters are all green? If red is also OEM, is one color preferable over the other?

Thanks

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
499 Posts
I have had OEM in both colors. I think it just depends on who the supplier is who made it for Honda. I did not notice and difference in how the filter worked depending on the color.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SO color does not indicate, one way or the other as to OEM. How about markings? There are absolutely no markings on the red filter. I have seen pix of other filters that had, 'HONDA' and/or, 'Made In Japan', or 'Japan'. Do the markings, or lack of, mean anything?

I noticed several aftermarket companies are making the GL1800 filter, Big Bike, Show Chrome, and others. I just don't wanna install an aftermarket filer if I can help it.

Thanks Again

·
Registered
109 Posts
Mine came in a sealed bubble wrap packet that had a Honda label with part #. The filter itself had a part # on one side and top written on the other side for correct installation. I compared mine to the OEM stock that was in the bike and they looked identical besides one clean and one dirty. Possibly yours a faux / imitation Honda part? Pictures would help. Sometimes people obtain items and sell them on eBay without knowing anything about them. I have seen some advertise new aftermarket parts while their pictures show the stock takeoff item in the box.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I have not seen a green filter in years. Probably not since they closed the Marysville plant and moved assembly and thus sourcing back to Japan.
Sounds right. Replaced a known Honda original AF last fall in my 2003. It was green and had Honda date stamping in its plastic frame. Replacement after market had red media.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
It’s like wings, the red ones are the fastest! :grin2:
Now THAT, is an ACCURATE statement!!!!!!!!! :wink2:
Sorry OP, didn't mean to de-rail the topic.

Attachments

·
Registered
163 Posts
Sounds right. Replaced a known Honda original AF last fall in my 2003. It was green and had Honda date stamping in its plastic frame. Replacement after market had red media.
OEM 5th gen air filters changed from green to red probably 5-6 years ago.
Old stock is fine as long as still sealed in bag. If bag not sealed, the paper media may be dry rotted.

·
Registered
163 Posts

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
I have couple extra Green ones still sealed in their packaging. I bought them when on sale years ago to have as my on hand supply. I think they were cheaper then, as I recently looked and was surprised at the new price. No wonder they are now Red!:wink2:

Corventure Dave

1 - 18 of 18 Posts