GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year I bought a Honda oem CB radio from a forum member, and installed it, and an antenna. My 06 Goldwing's intercom (installed by original owner) is an Autocom Pro7, or something like that. The intercom works great. But when I key the CB (handlebar trigger switch), the cb is transmitting a signal, but no mike audio. Of course I can hear my mike audio in my own headset, but it is not modulating the cb.

I believe that I will need to somehow connect the Autocom to the audio control box in the top shelter. Can anyone here help with a wiring diagram of what's needed? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Will,

I see that you're in Delaware. If you come over to Cats-Cade. I'll be there and I'll help you figure out what's going on.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bill, that's a nice offer, but Pittsburg is quite a ride from where I am. I do think with a little info on the mic audio pins to the cb radio, that I can make it work. I am familiar with working on electronics equipment, but need a schematic of the cb connector and the bike's audio control or m.c.u. I think it's called. I don't have a service manual for the bike or the cb radio. If you do, can you tell me that pin #'s are used for mike audio-to-cb?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Will, give Adam at Rocket Moto a buzz. 877.533.4245. He is probably the pre-eminent AutoCom brain in the US, outside of Bryan at MID, the Autocom importer for the US.
He'll have the answers for you.

=Dave=

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you Dave. I had him bookmarked, and now I remember why. :oops:

·
Banned
2,968 Posts
Do you get the radio and CB audio into your headsets?

As I remember the Autocom just connects to the 5 pin harness for the Honda headsets

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No Pedro, the CB (receive) audio can only be heard on the bike speakers, not in the headset. That would probably be acceptable, but since I can talk on the CB, it's basically of little use. When I get either a diagram, and make up a cable, or possibly buy one, then it may be that I can also hear CB audio in the headset, as I am sure that can be plugged into an Autocom input jack.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Will - I suspect that you have not interfaced your Autocom to the bike in any way, though you didn't confirm whether you can hear the bike's radio in your headsets.

Regardless, you need to find the special box which Autocom used to sell for interfacing an Autocom intercom to a CB-equipped GL1800. The technical gurus at Autocom HQ here in the UK told me a couple of years ago that they no longer supported CB's in any way because of all the technical support required. So they no longer sell it.

I have successfully designed interfaces for various Autocom intercoms to various aftermarket CB and PMR radios used on GL1500s and GL1800s. But the Honda CB interfaces to the Wing, so you need to now interface your Autocom to the Wing in order to complete the connection to the CB. A couple of isolation transformers between the Autocom's 240 degree DIN and the Wing's currently-unused headset socket under the seat will probably do the job.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nigel, thanks for you input on this. I have a couple little 600 ohm audio transformers, and I would use one to interface audio from the Autocom mike audio to the CB connector. Not sure, but it looks like pins 1 and 2 might be the audio to the CB, on the Honda connector. So one side of the transformer would go there. The other side, I am thinking, should connect to one of the helmet speakers, since I can hear myself (sidetone), when I talk. Do you concur with this?

I did mention in my previous post that there was no CB audio in my headset, but I am no too concerned with that, as I could still use the CB, hearing it on the bike speakers. I could use another transformer to couple CB audio to the Autocom via one of the aux inputs.

BTW, with the club activities there in the U.K. that you are involved with, I wouldn't be surprised if you know my brother in law, in Norway. He was very active with Goldwing riding clubs all over there.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Nigel, thanks for you input on this. I have a couple little 600 ohm audio transformers, and I would use one to interface audio from the Autocom mike audio to the CB connector. Not sure, but it looks like pins 1 and 2 might be the audio to the CB, on the Honda connector. So one side of the transformer would go there. The other side, I am thinking, should connect to one of the helmet speakers, since I can hear myself (sidetone), when I talk. Do you concur with this?
No - that's not what I was trying to describe at all. You are still talking about sending a signal into the CB connector instead of the headset connector. What CB connector do you mean? Isn't that plugged into the bike already?

Also, you don't need to grab a signal from a helmet speaker. The Autocom has proper signal outputs.

I did mention in my previous post that there was no CB audio in my headset
I said radio - not CB audio. I'm trying to understand if you can hear bike-generated audio in your headsets.

Or you can just answer this: is the Autocom connected to the bike in any way other than a 12v feed?

BTW, with the club activities there in the U.K. that you are involved with, I wouldn't be surprised if you know my brother in law, in Norway. He was very active with Goldwing riding clubs all over there.
Maybe - what's his name?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No - that's not what I was trying to describe at all. You are still talking about sending a signal into the CB connector instead of the headset connector. What CB connector do you mean? Isn't that plugged into the bike already?

Also, you don't need to grab a signal from a helmet speaker. The Autocom has proper signal outputs.

I said radio - not CB audio. I'm trying to understand if you can hear bike-generated audio in your headsets.

Or you can just answer this: is the Autocom connected to the bike in any way other than a 12v feed?

Maybe - what's his name?
Nigel, sorry for that. I can hear bike-generated audio in the headsets. We can listen to music from the Honda FM radio, either in the headset speakers, or if I tap the button on the audio control panel, I can switch it to the bike speakers.

I just checked, and I have several 1200 ohm audio transformers, some 47k trimpots, and a few Hitachi type 6-pin plug kits..

By BIL in Norway is Rasmus Asland.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
I can hear bike-generated audio in the headsets.
Then you must already have some sort of interface between the Autocom and the bike - presumably an Autocom one, which is usually basically a couple of transformers (though I don't understand why you can't hear the CB in the headsets - if the radio is getting to the Autocom, so should the CB, as you already showed that the CB was getting to the bike because you can hear it in the speakers).

So it sounds like you may already be using the 3rd lead coming out of the Autocom Pro 7 Sport (if that's what indeed you have?) - the one with a grey (not black) 5-pin 240 degree DIN socket on the end. Perhaps you can confirm this? If so, you should still be able to use the "Auxiliary 2" socket (intended for a phone I believe) to get the CB speech in and out. Transformer couple these to the bike's front 6-pin Hitachi headset socket (presumably not being used?).

Here's another way of deciphering the pigtail connections by the way:

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nigel, Waldo, this is really good information, and I'm hoping it will be what I need to make the system work as it should. Nigel, I don;t know what is the reason, but I suspect that the unused connector on the Autocom needs to be connected to a Hitachi connector that I sould be able to find, somewhere under the seat. Than may be the missing link. Here's a photo of the system.

Trike AutocomCB 001.jpg

Trike AutocomCB 002.jpg

·
Registered
366 Posts
That is indeed the 3rd lead I was referring to, and it is clearly not being used. However, that Autocom unit is a Super Pro Avi - which is a lot more modern than a Pro 7 and will have several other sockets which could be used to talk to a CB.

It is still not clear how your radio is getting into the Autocom - it's probably time to work that out to save any more guessing. I suspect it will be a tiny unlabelled (I hate how they do that!) Autocom interface between the passenger headset Hitachi socket and one of the Super Pro AVi auxiliary sockets.

·
Registered
47 Posts
RocketMoto

If you have not called Adam at Rocket Moto a buzz. 877.533.4245 you are wasting time. The man has the knowledge to tell you what you need and the parts to do it.. Called him 2 weeks ago and he spent 30 minutes on the phone with me. He understands Autocom like no one else I have ever spoken with and he rides a Wing - so he knows those too.

I was very unhappy with the intercom on the wing after having an Autocom for years He was able to tell me how to interface it with the wings system now I have it all - radio-CB-CD-gps in the Autocom heatsets as well as using the Autocom intercom - - Sweet!

He sent me an interface that plugged into the Hitachi plug and some cables to connect to the Autocom and to run out to the Rider and passenger.
Took me 30 minutes and it works great!

Give him a ring.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That is indeed the 3rd lead I was referring to, and it is clearly not being used. However, that Autocom unit is a Super Pro Avi - which is a lot more modern than a Pro 7 and will have several other sockets which could be used to talk to a CB.

It is still not clear how your radio is getting into the Autocom - it's probably time to work that out to save any more guessing. I suspect it will be a tiny unlabelled (I hate how they do that!) Autocom interface between the passenger headset Hitachi socket and one of the Super Pro AVi auxiliary sockets.
Nigel, I didn/t have much time to work on it today, as my Jeep spit a sparkplug from the head, and I am working on thatnow. But, I did take time to check on one thing. When I am listening to music on the headset, and unplug the cable at AUX 3 on the Autocom, no music. So, the previous owner, who installed all this equipment, has picked up the left and right music channels from somewhere, and is feeding that into the IC. I won't have time to take the seat off today to check further, but at least we know the answer to that one. It may go to the same Hitachi type connector, that I will need to connect that flying lead from Autocom, for CB audio.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you have not called Adam at Rocket Moto a buzz. 877.533.4245 you are wasting time. The man has the knowledge to tell you what you need and the parts to do it.. Called him 2 weeks ago and he spent 30 minutes on the phone with me. He understands Autocom like no one else I have ever spoken with and he rides a Wing - so he knows those too.

I was very unhappy with the intercom on the wing after having an Autocom for years He was able to tell me how to interface it with the wings system now I have it all - radio-CB-CD-gps in the Autocom heatsets as well as using the Autocom intercom - - Sweet!

He sent me an interface that plugged into the Hitachi plug and some cables to connect to the Autocom and to run out to the Rider and passenger.
Took me 30 minutes and it works great!

Give him a ring.
Pops, with forum members' help, I about have this thing licked. If it does not go well, I'll call Adam. I think I actually spoke to him when I first bought this CB, more than a year ago as I recall, and you are right, he is an absolute expert, and he gave me some advice. But I did not get the parts I needed, and set the project aside.

Now I want to finish this. I don't want to take his time up if he no longer sells the parts for this. I think I have everything that I'll need now.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Still looking for help with headset mike audio to Honda CB

dropped this project last year, as I wasn't doing any group ride with anyone else who had CB, but that has all changed now. I did call Adam several times (last summer), but did not get a return call. I would like to get this CB install completed, so...

to recap... I have an Autocom Super Pro Avi, as my intercom, and it works. I can hear the AM/FM radio, the Garmin Zumo turn-by-turn, and the iPod, all through the headsets or bike speakers, as selected on the Honda audion console. I can hear CB in the headset, but when I key the transmit switch on the handlebar, the CB transmits only an unmodulated carrier, which can be heard by others on that channel, but no mike audio from me when I speak. I CAN hear my mike audio sidetone in my headset.

The flying connector on the Autocom is not being used. Should it be? Which pins in that connector, do I use, and what do they connect to? I remember being told I need to use a small 1:1 1200 ohm audio transformer, to isolate, and I have several of them. Can anyone here provide a simple schematic diagram, showing pin connections from connector "A" to connector "B"? The diagram in one of the previous replies does not help me, as that is for the HONDA intercom, and I do not have that. I have an Autocom Super Pro Avi, which is a 7 pin plug.

Anyone?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts