GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Be able to zoom out and not loose all visibility of the smaller roads.

I know it couldn't do this when zoomed way out, otherwise the display would be too busy. But if I could zoom out maybe one or two steps and still see some of the smaller roads (so I would know where they go and could use them for an alternative route), that would be great!

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Display the names of towns.
Some method of easily updating maps.
Displaying speed would be nice but understand not likely.

Over all I'm happy with my navi unit although I am more of a point A to B guy and don't load complex routes. By biggest hope is that Garmin won't abandoned us 2006-2008 users. I recently purchased the $99 2011 CF card and if Garmin gets its bugs worked out would pay that price again in a couple years for updated maps.

Dan

·
Registered
138 Posts
The control panel should be on the left handlebar for ease of operation. I would also like to be able to operate the controls with the bike underway.

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
names of cities and towns stay visible

Dennis

·
Banned
7,604 Posts
To small a screen to retain town/city names and all the little roads when zoomed out to far, IMHO
Downloading routes and saving more than 1(I'm an 06) would be the biggies for me.
Next would be able to just turn it on while moving.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
two things that would improve my '08 Nav system.

1. already been added to newer systems....overlay NexRad weather displays on top of maps. Because of this I'm forced to also use my Garmin 478.

2. download routes from other sources. The Harley Davidson Ride Planner is especially good.

3. Activate an existing route while underway. e.g. forgetting to push "ENT" after a fuel stop is a PITA.

·
Registered
7,498 Posts
Control over the level of detail to be displayed at user selected zoom levels. This type of feature was available on the 2730, but is not available on the zumo or 08 honda nav. Different levels may be desirable to match the amount of map detail on remote vs higher populated locations.

Eliminate the nag screen at startup. I can accept menu lock out when in motion, but it makes no sense to not be able to turn it on with the display button (or some other method) while the bike is moving. Consider remembering the system status when it was shut down and restart in same mode (eg nav off, or nav following a route, etc)

Apply the Fred H adjustment to tip to the screen to reduce glare.

User colour selection to improve contrast. (Especially for those that may not be able to differentiate certain colours combinations.)

Eliminate the repeating "unverified road" (or at least only do it once)

·
Registered
381 Posts
A detachable second addon screen for the passenger. Touch screen enabled.! This actually looks to be quite possibe as a DIY mod

Nigel

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
1. A trip computer to show total miles ridden, average speed, top speed, fuel
consumption, miles to empty, etc

2. Ability to turn it on while in motion

3. Easily updated via internet

4. Touch screen

·
Registered
352 Posts
two things that would improve my '08 Nav system.

1. already been added to newer systems....overlay NexRad weather displays on top of maps. Because of this I'm forced to also use my Garmin 478.

2. download routes from other sources. The Harley Davidson Ride Planner is especially good.

3. Activate an existing route while underway. e.g. forgetting to push "ENT" after a fuel stop is a PITA.

+1:thumbup:

·
Registered
985 Posts
Gps

We get that "Off route". Option for continue this route/direction and recalculate. or, Option for choose route from selection of two or three. Next, Search nearest (IE motel or shop) within a select miles say 1-2-5 10-20-50-100-200-500 miles.

·
Registered
137 Posts
If they just cloned the Garmin 665 Nav features into the OEM nav they would have it made. I also want to be able to control the Nav just like I can with the 665 while in motion. This idea of having to stop to bring up a map is a real obnoxious piss off.

The 665 also predicts what you are typing. Sure saves a bunch of time.

Garmin knows how to build a good GPS. It is Honda that does not know how to specify the features they want.

I guess I have the best of all worlds right now. I use the OEM nav for Weather Radar and I use the 665 for navigation.

·
Registered
437 Posts
1. Being able to load multiple routes.
2. Eliminate the Nav. Accept screen. Once you have set the screen to see the map the first time, you shouldn't have to do it again the next time you start the bike.

·
Registered
114 Posts
To have the GPS start up automatically. I have an 08 and this is my biggest gripe as I forget to turn it on sometimes.

Dennie

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
the old simple stuff that's been jettisoned in favor of all the "user friendly" controls:
- screen with all the data - altitude, speed, direction, etc
- touch screen
- turn by turn list

·
Registered
110 Posts
Navi Improvements

Hi Fred, how you going?

I agree with most of the above suggestions, like zoom out more, names of towns, easy update, activate existing route while underway, get rid of the startup warning.

I would add: 1) make the compass symbol larger, 2) show elevation, and 3) speed limits, traffic, and lane assist (like my Garmin 1390T).

·
Registered
818 Posts
If they just cloned the Garmin 665 Nav...
Yes! Just clone the features of the Garmin 665. And don't leave out the blue tooth phone connectivity.

·
Registered
654 Posts
1- turn on while in motion, I'm okay with lockout, but at least let me turn it on.

2- load multiple routes so I can do the majority of my route planning at home before I leave for a trip and have various options.

3- allow me to change the view so I can see the road with an upcoming turn in a landscape format similar to portable GPS units like the nuvi I use as a secondary.

4- trip info screen: total miles, avg speed, time stopped, time moving, GPS speedometer

5- estimated time of arrival to destination.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts