GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm replacing the headsets in our helmets since we sent the old ones down the road with our 86 Aspy when we sold it. We've tried the BT products and found them to be less desirable. The volume wouldn't go high enough and we were constantly having to repeat ourselves, not to mention having to fumble with small buttons and gloved hands, no joy. We had J&M headsets before, but they were different models and one or the other was plagued by poor noise reduction, leading to constant road noise in our ears. I'm still inclined to stay with the wired setup, but am curious whether the after market offerings are superior to the OEM Honda headsets. Right now, I'm leaning toward the Honda sets. So what do you think, experiences?

·
Vendor
218 Posts
OEM is aftermarket. They are just rebranded J&M.
They are however built to Honda's specs from many years ago. There will be a dramatic difference between the Hondaline brand headset and any of the newer J&M performance or elite series headsets.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
We're using J&M's Elite Headsets in our Full Face Helmets. We're very happy with these Headsets. The original reason we went with aftermarket Headsets was so that we could get one set of down cords for the Goldwing and another set for the Harley. That way, with one set of Helmets, we're good to go on either bike. I can't say the quality is at a concert hall level, but it is certainly good enough and my better half says that they are slightly better than the OEM Honda Headsets we had previously. There is no electrical noise in the Headsets what-so-ever, they are quite clear. This clarity is extremely important for us. My better half has rather severe hearing loss and clarity in the human voice frequencies is rather critical for us.

Reactions: MountainRider

·
Registered
501 Posts
I am also using J&M's Elite Headsets and love them. Great sounds and they are holding up great. I just unplug from my 2012 and put it on my 88. Works great.

·
Premium Member
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found a great deal on a pair of the Honda line headsets, so I went ahead and grabbed them while I could. For the price, they'll get us on the road and talking until we determine we need something better. They can't be any worse than what we had. Now if I can find an inline volume control for the rear seat.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I have been using EdSets for 5 years now and not one complaint. It is a wired system.

·
Premium Member
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I got the inline volume controls found on Wingstuff, so we'll make that purchase soon. The new headsets arrived and are now installed in our helmets, thank goodness. The sound quality is amazing, with the microphones picking up our voices very well and providing very crisp clear communication through the headsets. There may be something better out there, but for now I'm very happy. Another bonus is since I was pulling the pads from the helmets to install these, I scratched another task off the Winter to do list and got those suckers washed. Just think, great sound and clean helmets. :grin2:

Now I've got to get the new half helmet and a set for it, for those long trips.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
J&M products from Sierra Electronics, they do a great job..

·
Premium Member
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I read a few of the reviews on the passenger volume control sold by Wingstuff, and they don't look promising. Many complaints about the solder connections coming loose. I did find another carried by Air Rider, but haven't found any reviews as yet. Anybody use one of these?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts