GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year my radio would act up. First audio would get garbled and then it would shut down altogether after a short period of cutting in and out. The bike is a 2001 and I added a cb and a single antennae with a splitter last spring. I took the splitter out and the problem seemed to go away, so I exchanged the splitter, but didn't get to try it out until this year. Yesterday was the first opportunity to ride in weather above 70* and after a couple of hours of riding the radio went silent again. The display stays on. It seems like my issue is heat related and with what little expertise I have, I would guess that my stock radio has a problem in it's amplifier, but that would only be a guess. I'm leaving for a 6 week trip to Alaska in a month and would like to get this solved before I go. Any ideas?

Richard

·
Registered
928 Posts
Richard - PM LarryM he is the go to guy for radios. Hope that helps, Bon Voyage on your trip hope to cross paths with you some time this year.

Crabby Bob

·
Registered
16,858 Posts
Hi Richard!

Have you checked the grounds at the reverse mechanism bolt and also the "star" junction under the fuel tank? Also, is this a problem where the audio stops, but the system indicators such as the channel and volume seem to still work as indicated on the dash? If so, it could be as simple as having poor connection at that part of the audio system connector at the radio. I'm sure Larry M. will be along to give you more precise trouble shooting.

That is a pretty gutsy trip you have planned. May your travels be trouble free!

prs

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Richard - PM LarryM he is the go to guy for radios. Hope that helps, Bon Voyage on your trip hope to cross paths with you some time this year.

Crabby Bob
I agree 100%. LarryM is a pro when it comes to these radios. I sent him mine for a complete upgrade. Sounds great now! :thumbup:

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Is it only happening when on AUX? If so, clean the AUX connector at the bike (shown).

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
First things first, how early in the numbering sequence are you in the year 2001? The early bikes were NOT compatible with CB's. If you are not the original owner, you need to go to the dealer and ask if your audio unit was ever changed. All of this is explained in the Honda Service Bulletins.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks

The CB is already in the bike and hooked up properly. It works, but just for a while. It appears to be a heat issue. It happens sooner when it's warm out and a little slower when it's cool. The display works, but the transmit and hear capabilities first become garbled and then come and go for a while, before stopping completely. I have a line on a used radio, but don't want to pull the trigger until someone can confirm that the internal radio amp is my issue. I never indicated anything about aux being included in this issue. I honestly don't know. I don't have anything hooked up through the Aux. Thanks again.

Richard

·
Chard Member
12,965 Posts
Does it start working properly when you turn the ignition off then back on? Screws up again when you transmit.

Jenks was 100% correct when he said early '01 radios wouldn't work with the Honda CB. Not compatible!

Sent from iPhone

·
Vendor
445 Posts
Richard, this is a very common problem with the CB audio chip giving up the ghost. Easy repair as we have seen several dozen with this problem. Give Jeff a call here at Sierra, 800 338 6938, and​ he will tell you what to check to be sure what the problem is.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Wayne, you did not answer the questions I gave you about early vin. Sierra can fix your radio, but you should also read Honda Service Bulletin 4.

·
Vendor
445 Posts
The problem described by Richard has nothing to do with SB 4. SB 4 refers to the audio unit not returning from a muted state when CB is unkeyed from TX. His problem is distorted tx audio and then heating up till audio chip quits.
I might add that I may be totally wrong due to understanding his description.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Third time

ED, The CB is installed and works. It stops after a while. How soon it stops seems to depend on how much I use it and what the ambient temp is. I didn't make it clear in my second post that this affects my regular FM/AM radio at the same time. I can transmit and receive and transmit multiple times, but at some point it seems to overheat and quit. If I leave the am/fm off, it will work longer, or if I leave the cb off the AM/FM radio will work several hours if it's not too hot out. It seems to be heat related.

Richard

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Sorry I am just seeing this now. I have been out of commission for the past couple of weeks. I don't see that this problem has been resolved. Do you still need help with this Richard?

The 2001 radio did suffer from a higher than usual number of blown amplifiers, and that is a likely culprit here. But there are a couple of other possibilities too. Since you are certain your problem is not related to SB4, I won't suggest it.

I didn't see it mentioned, but I assume that this is the external speakers we are talking about here. And I am assuming that ALL external audio is lost when the problem pops up.

Even though this appears to be heat related, do you have rear speakers? If so, have you opened the trunk to see if the speaker wires have been pinched?

Do you have a headset? Have you switched to headset mode to see if you have audio when the problem shows up?

It is not unusual for a power amp to go intermittent or distort when it is about to fail, but usually the amps in the radio just quietly die. Even still, there is a good chance the amp is blown. If the problem was permanent, I would have you check some voltages, but those checks are only valid while the radio is exhibiting the problem.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks Larry

I hardly ever use the speakers, Larry. I know that it fails in the headset. I believe that early on with this issue, I tried the speakers, but I will check it again when it next warms up a little. It's hard to get it to fail when it's below 40* (like now). I have purchased a replacement and will switch it out in the next few days. I will let you know how that works. Thanks for responding.

Richard

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Thanks Richard. At least I know that it is a headset problem. I may have been the only one thinking external speakers here.:oops:

Power amps are the most common part to fail. The GL1800 radio has independent power amps for the headset and external speakers. The headset amp is the most common failure on this radio. As with the external amp, they usually just quietly die, but they can fail as you described.

The front and rear headset connectors work together. If the radio is at fault, both the driver and passenger connections have to fail at the same time. If there is a way to plug into the rear connector, I would try running it that way on your next ride and see if it still fails. If it does, the amp is blown. You might be able to connect to the back connector by removing the connector from its holder and sliding the cable under the seat forward a bit.

I am big on doing as much triage as possible before pulling the radio. Putting a radio on the bench that doesn't have anything wrong is such a waste of time and money. Headset and cord problems are a major cause of problems like this. Substituting with a second headset and lower cord is also a possibility, but most people don't have 2 setups.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
radio

I have several headsets. I will be sure to plug into the back seat the next time I can get it to fail. The weather is playing havoc with me at the moment. I haven't seen a 70* day for a while and it can take hours to fail in cooler weather. My trip to Alaska is looming and I have other issues with that and life getting in the way right now. I will keep this updated as things progress and I will try to do all of the troubleshooting before I pull it and make the switch.

Richard

1 - 16 of 16 Posts