GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone else hate this seat besides me? Did 900+ miles last weekend, (3 days) and my butt was so sore I was ready to get off and walk! Never had a problem with my Valkyrie doing 500 mile days, with the OEM or Ultimate seats. Any recommendations on a more comfortable riding seat for the wing?

·
Registered
457 Posts
I got my Wingsoft from the UPS guy about 2 hours ago. Put it on and OH WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!

I got the Wingsoft large with the Utopia backrest. I can't believe what an immediate change this seat has made for me. I am up and back. My leg isn't pinched. I never would have thought tht a backrest would allow me to lean more in the twisties - but it does.

Next I'll get feedback from my wife on how she likes her mods.

Outstanding job John.
Now have put a few hundred miles on the new seat and it keeps on getting better. The hip pain that was shooting down my leg is gone when I ride and when I am at home.

·
Chard Member
12,970 Posts
Steve... I can do 2,000 mile days in 100 degree heat and 95% humidity with no problem on the stocker. LOL...

If you want to keep the heat for Linda you don't have many choices. :( Corbin has a heated seat for $1400 that works with the Wing controls.

As you probably know I have the Hartco which might be built too tall for you, but Bill has one that is built kinda standard. It's up a little and back about 1.5 inches. With the Hartco you loose the heated seat and grips. Yep, when you disconnect the seat, the grips no longer work.

My backside was on fire at 100 miles with the stocker. :oops:

·
Registered
457 Posts
Just an FYI becasue we all fiddle with our bikes and find out what does and doesn't work. If you do the Wingsoft you will be able to keep the heat, add a backrest and have no problems with the result.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out for you.

www.bikesolutionsllc.com - the wingsoft guys

·
Registered
145 Posts
Red said:
If you want to keep the heat for Linda you don't have many choices. :( Corbin has a heated seat for $1400 that works with the Wing controls. :oops:
I have the Corbin and like it alot. We have about 5k on it so far. Well worth the money. If you get through Chrome World it is $1200 and I think about $20 for shipping. The seat heaters work alot better and the riders backrest is great. Hope this helps. :D

Dave

·
Registered
67 Posts
Steve,
I to hated the stock seat. I put 4000 miles on it and figured by then it was broke in and not going to get any better. I elected to go with the WingSoft large and had them install a Utopia backrest. This way I kept the heat. So far my neck and tailbone pain is gone and I love the extra room. I only have 400 miles on it. I can't imagine how much better it will get with several thousand miles on it. If nothing else, I would check out their web site. I wanted to go with a Russell but because of the cost, I just couldn't justify it right now. Again so far I am very happy with the WingSoft.

Good luck.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I had a Corbin seat on my Concours and it was hard as a sidewalk. Is their Wing seat hard?

·
Registered
145 Posts
entrop said:
I had a Corbin seat on my Concours and it was hard as a sidewalk. Is their Wing seat hard?
Yes, seems hard as a rock, however after a few hundred miles it seems to break in. It seems to prevent the hot spots and soreness you get from the stock seat.

Dave

·
Registered
411 Posts
Rich's Custom Seats in Seattle does heated seats that use the controls on the bike.

Redeye

·
Registered
365 Posts
We have the stock seat and love it. We have already done a 1000 miles in 24hrs, and I am thinking of trying the 50CC by mysel. Think everyone rides and sits on a bike differently and what works for one may not work for another. I am 5'8, about 185# and short legs, but not even considering a new seat.

Have both a Corbin and a BAR for the HArley and like both, but my wife does not like the Corbin, too HARD for her.

So, think this is one that each person needs to try and find what fits and suits them best.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Many of us in the also-have-a-VTX1800 community have had wonderful results with Ultimate Seats out of Canada. Des is the man there. They also do complete GL rigs at competitive prices. Ultimates are great seats. The stocker on my VTX sucked out loud. First day I rode the bike I knew it was gone. Now I get no numb bum at all riding all day. Got the full leather option with backrest. Wife loves her Ultimate pillion seat too.

Check 'em out at:

http://www.ultimateseats.ca/goldwingGL1800.html

Personally, I haven't gotten around to an Ultimate seat for my 06 Wing yet, but had the same experience with the stock seat. Pinched me bad in the crotch and gave the boyz a terrible time. Took the bike to an upholstery shop that also does MC seats for a custom chopper builder, and had him remove stock foam and sculpt the high-end memory foam he replaced it with, customized to my butt. He tweaked, I rode, tweaked some more, etc. Cost a LOT less than a new seat, but got the same results. It's a cost-effective way to go if you can locate a custom auto upholstery shop in your area. :D

·
Registered
736 Posts
Steve and Linda Woughter said:
anyone else hate this seat besides me? Did 900+ miles last weekend, (3 days) and my butt was so sore I was ready to get off and walk! Never had a problem with my Valkyrie doing 500 mile days, with the OEM or Ultimate seats. Any recommendations on a more comfortable riding seat for the wing?
I have used the Russell Day Long seats on most of my touring bikes for the last 10 years or more. None better period and they offer a money back guarntee. They also can add heat if wanted and have a choice of different covers and stitching.

http://www.day-long.com/

John

·
Registered
256 Posts
Steve, I too hated the stock seat. Tried the road sofa, big mistake. Had John modify my stock seat to the Wingsoft large, front and rear with the pass backrest moved back. We can now ride all day with no problems. It did take about 500 miles to break in, "butt" oh so much better than stock.
Dave

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've put almost 1000 miles on my new Wing and I have found several things that have helped add to my comfort.

1. Utopia seatback rest 2. Kuryakyn Dully Pegs 3. Kuryakyn Floorboards and finally, I always remove my wallet from my back pocket and stow it in the lockable bin on the fairing. That alone makes a huge difference in comfort, not that there's ever any money in it, but with pictures, licenses, cards, etc., it's as big as a brick and twice as hard!

I understand Saddlemen now makes a new "gel seat shorts" that might add some comfort, but for me, I think my saddle will do me well since I have added the above accessories noted above. :lol:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts